Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Locked bike!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

It's a tougher looking lock than mine, anyway; I'm the grey Giant and he's the black Jeep. The lock says Tonyon (?)

syb8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

SlimJ wrote: »
    The lock says Tonyon (?)
    Cheap Chinese crap - €15 on AliExpress
    Should go easy under the bolt cutters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Move the locking part around so that it's on his side. Get a large steel bar (like a lug wrench) put it through the lock and start twisting and twisting as hard as you can. Any pressure should be on his bike, so your bike isn't harmed, and it should eventually pop open.

The weakest part of any cheap chain is the locking mechanism. Cheap, unhardened steel which is poorly attached to the chain. Enough pressure and it'll just pop open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It's a tougher looking lock than mine, anyway; I'm the grey Giant and he's the black Jeep. The lock says Tonyon (?)

syb8.jpg

That is 100% a dummy bike locked to yours in the hope that you'll leave yours there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Thermite is yer only man. Keep some in your saddlebag for the future :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Made this mistake once myself, locked my piece of **** to his in a hurry for the train.
    Realised my mistake the next day :eek:, left a bottle of wine and and an apology on his bike. A day later I get a thank you letter on my bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Would it be a terrible idea to remove your saddle, so that the phantom locker thinks twice about swiping your bike when they return? It's strange that they left the bike a day and a half already, maybe they've forgotten, or something more sinister has happened to them.

check_six wrote: »
    It's strange that they left the bike a day and a half already, maybe they've forgotten, or something more sinister has happened to them.

Agreed it's weird. I didn't even know the lock-decoy-bike-as-a-stalling-tactic was a bike thief MO.

I wonder - there's a Cycleways down the road a bit from where I'm locked up; d'ya think they'd have bolt cutters I could borrow?

Made this mistake once myself, locked my piece of **** to his in a hurry for the train.
    Realised my mistake the next day :eek:, left a bottle of wine and and an apology on his bike. A day later I get a thank you letter on my bike.

See, this is why I didn't do anything when I first saw it. Figured it was some kid who made a dumb mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

d'ya think they'd have bolt cutters I could borrow?
    Did the search on their website. No matches found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

beazee wrote: »
    Did the search on their website. No matches found.

Why would Cycleways have a bolt cutters? :confused:

Go to a hardware store and just buy one, twenty quid's nothing to pay for the safety of a bike worth a couple of hundred euro. Remember you'll need a long one for leverage.

Answer: Cycleways won't; Store St Garda will.
    Heading back there now; hope the bike's still there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Good luck SlimJ. What are you gonna do with the other bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,433 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

If thats not a ploy to rob yours then its an exceptionally lazy f**ker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Green&Red wrote: »

If it WAS a ploy to steal the poster's bike (and I'm not saying it wasn't!) then why would they leave the two bikes there for two days and counting :confused: Surely that's just giving the good guy time to go to the Gardai and get a loan of their boltcutters :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Green&Red wrote: »
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    If it WAS a ploy to steal the poster's bike (and I'm not saying it wasn't!) then why would they leave the two bikes there for two days and counting :confused: Surely that's just giving the good guy time to go to the Gardai and get a loan of their boltcutters :confused:

Judging by the bike, I would guess that the owner is not the most discerning or careful cyclist (if they exist at all). It is a rather unlovely thing.

I'm sticking with my first thought that it is a plot to immobilise your bike so they can come back with heavier equipment to swipe it and I reckon that somehting has happened to the punter. Possibly a trip to Belize.

p.s. For those of you not glued to Breaking Bad at the moment, a trip to Belize is a *bad* thing, also make some effort to watch the show, it's rather good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

kenmc wrote: »
    Thermite is yer only man. Keep some in your saddlebag for the future :)

Just make damn sure you never leave your saddlebag behind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

If you removed your seat post and back wheel, would your frame not come free? You'd be able the fit the back of your frame through that big chain lock?

Hi all - just remembered I never updated the thread.
    So after calling the Guards & confirming that they would cut the offending bike off mine, I arrived back to see that the other bike was gone. Mine was still there. Guess it was just a mistake on the other person's part.

Cheers anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Hi all - just remembered I never updated the thread.
    So after calling the Guards & confirming that they would cut the offending bike off mine, I arrived back to see that the other bike was gone. Mine was still there. Guess it was just a mistake on the other person's part.

Cheers anyway

Glad to hear you got your bike free and all is well, but i'm a little disappointed that there wasn't a more dramatic conclusion......can you make something up?

"Tackled the thief to the ground...........round of applause from dozens of onlookers.......got a medal from the president."

If you hit any of these notes I'd be happy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

dited wrote: »
    So I locked my bike in Drury St prior to going for a few Friday pints. Came back at 10.15, some took has locked my bike with their lock. Fairly decent cable lock, can't pull it open.

Rang guards, they can't help. DFB can, but 500e charge. Been here for an hour, thinking about going home but it's a fairly decent bike - corratec dolomiti - and I'm worried it just might have been locked on purpose.

Any help most appreciated!

I guess one good thing came out of this - you didn't get to cycle home under the influence and perhaps have a bigger problem to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Laker04

Returned to bike in town one morning to find someone had locked their Dublin Bike to mine. So late for work there was nothing else to do except lock mine to theirs and head off. Was only when I was back in work that I got the brainwave to ring Dublin Bike (hey, it was early). Headed back at lunchtime and their lock was removed from mine. Cost me time but cost him/her money. Lesson learned hopefully.

Friend of a friend spotted their stolen bike outside The Odeon one Friday night, tied up with a decent lock, probably sold on. Called into Harcourt St and told them the story. They said there was nothing they could do but if it was their bike they knew what they would do. So your man headed off and came back with a Con Saw. Sawed through the lock right outside the Odeon, no one said a word, must have looked like a scene from Halloween.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

DaithiMC wrote: »
    I guess one good thing came out of this - you didn't get to cycle home under the influence and perhaps have a bigger problem to deal with.

Ah Mammy, 'tis yourself :pac:

Ah Mammy, 'tis yourself :pac:

Or, later that evening, in a parallel universe where the bike was not locked to the other bike.... "Ah Gard, 'tis yourself" :(

Prediction; post the world in which on the spot fining for cyclists breaking red lights is introduced, cycling under the influence will be the next target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

I don't really see why you think I would be stopped by a Garda. There is no blood alcohol limit for cycling, and the only restriction that I am aware of is
    Originally Posted by Road Traffic Act 1961
    51.—(1) A person shall not, in a public place—

( a ) drive or attempt to drive, or be in charge of, animal-drawn vehicle, or

( b ) drive or attempt to drive a pedal cycle,

while he is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the vehicle or cycle.

I'm capable of drinking without getting drunk. I'm also confident that I'm capable of having proper control of the cycle after having a couple of pints.

But thank you for your concern.

I don't really see why you think I would be stopped by a Garda. There is no blood alcohol limit for cycling, and the only restriction that I am aware of is

I'm capable of drinking without getting drunk. I'm also confident that I'm capable of having proper control of the cycle after having a couple of pints.

But thank you for your concern.

You're welcome, note my comment was a prediction and not what actually happens in our world today but it is legislation I would welcome. My concern comes from being the relative of someone who, as a designated driver, coming back from a night out with friends collided with an inebriated cyclist. A rare occurence (the collision), but he was traumatised and had damage to his car he had no recourse to insurance on, and the cyclist spent two days in hospital. Be careful out there.

Advertisement