Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Locked bike!

• 26-07-2013 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭

So I locked my bike in Drury St prior to going for a few Friday pints. Came back at 10.15, some took has locked my bike with their lock. Fairly decent cable lock, can't pull it open.

Rang guards, they can't help. DFB can, but 500e charge. Been here for an hour, thinking about going home but it's a fairly decent bike - corratec dolomiti - and I'm worried it just might have been locked on purpose.

Any help most appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Sure sounds like a job for the guards/fire service? Can you put a bit more weight on the guards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Do you not know anyone with a decent set of bolt cutters? I have a set with 2ft handles but I'm in Donegal so no use to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Either (a) somebody taking the piss, or (b) somebody hoping you'll leave it so the bike can be knocked tomorrow.

How secure is the lock you have on it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

take your wheels, drailer and seat post and jump in a taxi. worry about the frame in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

hypersonic wrote: »
    take your wheels, drailer and seat post and jump in a taxi. worry about the frame in the morning.

Good plan actually.

• Advertisement

Jaysus. If the OP was keeping track of this I could be in to him in 20 minutes with 3 top locks to keep his bike secure till he got in in the morning to sort it out. Time is ticking. Car park closes at 1...

What is this 'emergency' thread for exactly...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

endacl wrote: »
    Jaysus. If the OP was keeping track of this I could be in to him in 20 minutes with 3 top locks to keep his bike secure till he got in in the morning to sort it out. Time is ticking. Car park closes at 1...

What is this 'emergency' thread for exactly...?

Cheers man, unfortunately my damn phone died two minutes after posting the OP. Typical. I waited it out till 12.25 then went for the last Luas.

Bike is locked with Kryptonite mini on rear wheel + frame, cable lock through front wheel + frame. Never crossed my mind to take seatpost etc, good advice!

Guards reckoned just leave it till the morning and go back in with a hacksaw - which I intend to do - then give them a call and they'll take the other bike to the station once I've liberated them.

Oh, and for anyone who uses Drury Street frequently (as I do), I was talking to the car park attendant, who made it pretty clear that they don't really pay any attention whatsoever to anything that happens in the bike area - including people using hacksaws etc to cut locks!

Thanks again for all the advice, just wish I'd been able to see some of it a little sooner :rolleyes:

dited wrote: »
    Cheers man, unfortunately my damn phone died two minutes after posting the OP. Typical. I waited it out till 12.25 then went for the last Luas.

Bike is locked with Kryptonite mini on rear wheel + frame, cable lock through front wheel + frame. Never crossed my mind to take seatpost etc, good advice!

Guards reckoned just leave it till the morning and go back in with a hacksaw - which I intend to do - then give them a call and they'll take the other bike to the station once I've liberated them.

Oh, and for anyone who uses Drury Street frequently (as I do), I was talking to the car park attendant, who made it pretty clear that they don't really pay any attention whatsoever to anything that happens in the bike area - including people using hacksaws etc to cut locks!

Thanks again for all the advice, just wish I'd been able to see some of it a little sooner :rolleyes:

Hey no worries! Get in as early as you can though, just on the off chance it is somebody up to no good.

Hey no worries! Get in as early as you can though, just on the off chance it is somebody up to no good.

Yeah, I'll be in there bright and early - don't think I'll be able to sleep much anyway, worrying if my baby's gonna be ok :pac: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

So I locked my bike in Drury St prior to going for a few Friday pints. Came back at 10.15, some took has locked my bike with their lock. Fairly decent cable lock, can't pull it open.

Rang guards, they can't help. DFB can, but 500e charge. Been here for an hour, thinking about going home but it's a fairly decent bike - corratec dolomiti - and I'm worried it just might have been locked on purpose.

Any help most appreciated!

They're making sure your bike stays so they can steal it when you're gone. You already know that deep down.

• Advertisement

They're making sure your bike stays so they can steal it when you're gone. You already know that deep down.

On the street maybe. The car park is locked down until the morning though. I'm offering even odds on the OP getting in ahead of the Phantom Locker though!

He'd better update this tomorrow!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

There's another bike involved, right? Highly unlikely to be anything other than a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

You seem to be in a particularly helpful mood these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

It's been open now for over an hour. Is there drama unfolding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭redzerredzer

What would you all do with the other bike.
    This idiot has to be punished.

oflahero wrote: »
    It's been open now for over an hour. Is there drama unfolding?

Now we know what it was like for those who had an interest in Pippa's sister's baby. We should let Sky News know. They'd have Kay Burley camped outside Drury St!

Give his gears a few clicks. And swop his brake cables around.

Edit: Unless he's a hipster on a brakeless fixie. That's punishment enough. Poor sod...

Actually, OP. I'd slap a lock on his. Leave a sticker with your phone number and tell him when he calls that you'll unlock it for a release fee equal to your taxi fare last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'd also let the air out of his tyres just to inconvenience him/her like they done to you.

Liberated! Never realised how easy it is to cut a, lock though - thirty seconds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Let's face it, there aren't going to be any updates on this. It's not about the bike, and it's not about the lock. Does anyone actually believe there is a REAL bike tied-up with someone else's cable lock?

Pretty clear what's going on here. The much-wanted and valued bike shackled and useless, the lock, the mysterious "other". I'm picking up serious attachment and control issues here, maybe a relationship has entered into a new and unsure phase? Partner has received a new job offer overseas? Teenage daughter is going on first solo holiday? Son is moving out to college?

Either way, I think the thread should be moved to Personal Issues, or the OP could look up my school of psychoanalysis in Annascaul for advice.

Liberated! Never realised how easy it is to cut a, lock though - thirty seconds!

Excellent. Now lock his bike till you get your taxi fare back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

what did you do with the other bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

what did you do with the other bike?

Donedeal :)

There was a bike, honest :D

20130727_091548.jpg

20130727_091849.jpg

There were three people locking/unlocking their bikes while I was cutting the lock - no one said a thing :rolleyes: Maybe I look like an honest cyclist :D

Managed to resist the temptation to take the hacksaw to the other bike - left it in with 'security' in Drury Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It's a common thing in London, thieves lock cheap bikes to decent ones in the hope that they leave it there overnight or long enough for them to come back with an angle grinder.

Fair play OP for getting your bike back. And at least even if it was some idiot who mistakenly locked his bike to yours before going on the drink, security will hold on to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I'd do exactly what the OP did, inform Gardai and security, cut the lock and hand the bike into security.

Grow up FFS why would you "punish" somebody for what might be an innocent mistake? It's happened to me that somebody locked their bike to mine, they showed up after 20 mins, I accepted their apology, I didn't feel the need to get aggressive with them and slit their tyres open or anything. No point in spreading random hatred everywhere. Maybe the next time somebody cuts a cyclist up in a car it's just simply a "punishment" for another cyclist acting the twat somewhere else.

Red Kev wrote: »
    I'd do exactly what the OP did, inform Gardai and security, cut the lock and hand the bike into security.

Grow up FFS why would you "punish" somebody for what might be an innocent mistake? It's happened to me that somebody locked their bike to mine, they showed up after 20 mins, I accepted their apology, I didn't feel the need to get aggressive with them and slit their tyres open or anything. No point in spreading random hatred everywhere. Maybe the next time somebody cuts a cyclist up in a car it's just simply a "punishment" for another cyclist acting the twat somewhere else.

How can someone be so stupid?
    The op has been seriously inconvenienced and is out of pocket for the taxi fare.
    There is probably no chance to get money and of course his time back. The stress of the whole situation deserves some sort of reward but I'm sure that's not going to happen.
    I would not hold it against him if he took the bike or left a his mark on it to remind the moron to be more careful in future.

This is the problem with idiots. They get away with things without learning to be careful.
    I'd prefer to live in a world where one must take responsibility for ones actions and there are repercussions for stupidity.

I would not however support violence towards a person but two broken wheels would put I smile on my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I would not however support violence towards a person but two broken wheels would put I smile on my face.

Well now, aren't you a bag of fluffy cuddles?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

The op has been seriously inconvenienced and is out of pocket for the taxi fare.
    There is probably no chance to get money and of course his time back. The stress of the whole situation deserves some sort of reward but I'm sure that's not going to happen.
    I would not hold it against him if he took the bike or left a his mark on it to remind the moron to be more careful in future.

This is the problem with idiots. They get away with things without learning to be careful.
    I'd prefer to live in a world where one must take responsibility for ones actions and there are repercussions for stupidity.

And what repercussions should you face for that idiotic post? Seriously? Someone (may have) chained their bike to ops. Yes it cost him time and taxi fare but you feel that causing criminal damage to his bike is a good idea? The guy who chained his bike to ops is down the cost of his lock is this not enough "justice" for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

I continue to strive for the state of perfection that you have so clearly reached"

As one of the posters who advocated righteous retribution I feel compelled to ask...

You do know we were only messin', right...? These things happen. People make mistakes. Well, apart from yourself maybe?

Ah not lumen! one of my favourite posters.
    I'm not a very likeable person. My wife struggles with my attitude too.
    I never claimed to be perfect. I just see the world in a very black and white way. If you do something stupid, you should have to answer for it.
    If and when I mess up, I apologise and I expect to have to make amends.
    Judge me all you want but I don't go around affecting people's lives with careless, stupid actions.

I never claimed to be perfect. I just see the world in a very black and white way. If you do something stupid, you should have to answer for it.
    Judge me all you want but I don't go around affecting people's lives with careless, stupid actions.

Like breaking wheels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

No you just advocate others do stupid illegal things. If you haven't got the balls to go break the law yourself that's fine but please don't try to get people to break the law for you by proxy.

• Advertisement

bumper234 wrote: »
    No you just advocate others do stupid illegal things. If you haven't got the balls to go break the law yourself that's fine but please don't try to get people to break the law for you by proxy.

I was going to bow out because we all can have our own opinions but you came along and said something untrue.

Here is my quote :
    "I would not hold it against him if he took the bike or left a his mark on it to remind the moron to be more careful in future"

You may note I did not tell anyone to do anything. Just said what I would not hold against somebody in his situation.

Also said :
    "I would not however support violence towards a person but two broken wheels would put I smile on my face"

Again please note, no advice given, just mentioned something that would make me smile.

Some people may agree with me, most seem not to. Gutted that lumen and beasty are two of those.
    Welcome to your opinion bumper, but don't misquote me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Well this thread has turned into a pile of **** :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

It's quite clear that broken wheels are not justified. An apology from the transgresser is all that I would expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Raam wrote: »
    An apology from the transgresser is all that I would expect.

Just because it's in the pink triangle doesn't mean it was a transgresser did it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,614 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

@redzerredzer
    Encouraging anyone to commit criminal damage is unacceptable on this site

Do not do it again

Any questions PM me - do not respond in thread

Thanks

Beasty

• Advertisement

I don't think I'd feel any satisfaction now if I'd done anything to the bike, quite the opposite, in fact. Yes, it was a pain, and yes, I would've probably lost the head if they'd shown up while I was waiting last night, but I've been put to far greater inconvenience (and far more often) through my own stupidity.

I'll trust to karma to take care of things (and hopefully he won't soon forget that feeling in the pit of his stomach when he eventually returns, to find his bike absent and his lock sticking out of the bin beside where he left it :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Just because it's in the pink triangle doesn't mean it was a transgresser did it.

Way over my head...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

OP, it's great that you seem to have achieved a sort of closure on this, but I'm worried if you don't explore the psychospiritual triggers for it, the underlying problems won't be addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭nitna bitna

i wouldnt take the other bike i would just loosen the front wheel te **** and put some grease on the handgrips,,he will pay the price

i wouldnt take the other bike i would just loosen the front wheel te **** and put some grease on the handgrips,,he will pay the price

I think we may be done with the whole retribution fantasy now.

Nobody died...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I think we may be done with the whole retribution fantasy now.

Nobody died...
    ...yet!

*thunder clap, evil laugh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My bike was accidently locked by another cyclist with an overlong cable in Drury Street a few months ago. Luckily, on the day in question, I wasn't in a particular hurry. I called back in a couple of hours and it was free again.

Why are so many posters assuming the other cyclist was male? In my case it was a laaydee.
    it's a fairly decent bike - corratec dolomiti -
    Is it the white/green one that's often there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

Man the same thing has happened to me. My bike is locked to a rack at the top of O'Connell Street and someone has locked their bike to mine. It's been there a day and a half now; is it going to be down to me to break their lock?

Might be worth your while giving the local garda station a call, just to see what view they take. They'll probably tell you to go ahead and cut it yourself. When I called them about my bike in Drury St they abdicated any responsibility as it was on private property, but said that if it were on the street they would have sent someone by to pick up the other bike. They also said that they couldn't cut the lock, I'd have to call out the Fire Brigade (and pay the call out charge).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's O'Connell St. Look around for some guys sitting around with greasy hair and shiny tracksuits and offer them €20 to break the lock. They'll be able to do it for you in about 10 seconds.
    Chances are they're even carrying the tools to do it.

What kind of lock is it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement