Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo trainer / Exercise bike / Spinning bike

Options
  • 08-04-2013 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Would you good cycling folk in here recommend purchasing a Turbo Trainer or an exercise bike/cross trainer/spinning bike?

I've inflamed muscles in my lower back and soft-tissue damage to both legs again. MY GP warned me off my racer for the time-being for long periods of peddling and encouraged an exercise bike instead, along with swimming and walking. I was looking into the turbo trainer last November when these injuries first occurred but never purchased one :mad:

Which would you opt for if you were in this situation?

Many Thanks in advance,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Budget is a big consideration here. Unless you intend to make a serious investment, you should look at either a turbo trainer or a set of rollers. Cheapo exercise bike don't really come close to a turbo in terms of a good simulation of road cycling.

I really don't know whether it is an issue, but be aware that rollers also give you a core workout. This may be a reason to get a turbo trainer, given your lower back injury.

If you are prepared to spend a good whack of cash, some high-end exercise bikes look absolutely kickass, and they give you great power analysis. Or, consider one of those slick virtual-reality Tacx machines.

There's usually a good few different options on the adverts forum here. I think someone had a high-end spinning bike on it recently...Maybe fat bloke?

EDIT: Just found the ad and it is sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

How easy to use are the rollers? I like the idea of them cos they dont wreck the back tire like the turbo trainer. But are they tough to use? I presume you need reasonable bike handling skills? and require a great deal more concentration. I'm considering a turbo trainer vs roller right now as well. I presume ferry4sam with back issues would need something more stable than rollers?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

elnino23 wrote: »
    How easy to use are the rollers? I like the idea of them cos they dont wreck the back tire like the turbo trainer. But are they tough to use? I presume you need reasonable bike handling skills? and require a great deal more concentration. I'm considering a turbo trainer vs roller right now as well. I presume ferry4sam with back issues would need something more stable than rollers?

You need reasonable bike handling skills, but not exceptional bike handling skills. I've only been cycling seriously for about 18 months now, and I was able to use them fairly comfortably after about 20-30 minutes of trying.

Using them really teaches you to keep a very even pedalling technique, which is very useful on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Rollers have a learning curve (a steepish one for me..) and to me feel a lot like riding on ice. Thankfully I got rollers before xmas and got used to them before my winter commuting in Zurich, often in icy conditions.
    There's not as much resistance on rollers as a turbo, but you have to concentrate more to stop from riding off the sides. Getting drinks becomes a whole new challenge..
    I mainly use mine for zone 2 HRM rides to build endurance, but have started to try intervals for when I'm short of time.
    I think they've helped improve my bike handling skills and balance as well as an appreciation of just how bad I was on a bike!

Am I right in saying you can buy a brace for the rollers? remove the front wheel and forks go on the brace?

• Advertisement

elnino23 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying you can buy a brace for the rollers? remove the front wheel and forks go on the brace?

You are right (for Tacx Rollers at least), but I'm not sure how easy they are to find/order.

If all else fails what you can do is turn the bike around backwards, and put the front wheel up on a stack of books and put some paintcans or something heavy against the wheel, effectively makes it into a turbo trainer with no variable resistance other than the gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I've rollers with a variable tension setting and have (finally, eventually) gotten use to using them. They do usefully simulate being on the road more than a turbo and in that sense are a lot more enjoyable. As above, you also get some core work done on rollers and its generally a more enjoyable 30-45 minutes compared to a turbo.

That said, I cant really say I enjoy cycling out-of-the-saddle on them. In trying to simulate the same action as you would on the road, you risk coming a cropper on the rollers. (or at least, I do). The effect of rocking the bars side-to-side causes the front tyre to roll partially onto its sidewall and unless your careful, you're off. At the very least, it induces too many heart-stopping moments to be able to relax and get the most out of the session. Fear of dropping off the roller shoots my HR up to near max and compromises the session for a fair few minutes! Most interval training plans call for some level of out-of-the-saddle time, as far as I can see, and are ideal for turbos rather than rollers.

Dont ask me how you use rollers with a TT bike - I've yet to attempt using the extension bars while on rollers - scary !

The Kurt Kinetic Rock & Roll looks a good compromise - but its serious pricey. I'll stick with me rollers.
    http://youtu.be/GQz_u0Vc8Os

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Dont ask me how you use rollers with a TT bike - I've yet to attempt using the extension bars while on rollers - scary !

I find it hard enough getting down to the drops!

How badly does the turbo wreck the back tyre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I find it hard enough getting down to the drops!
    Slightly off topic Darkglasses but seems like a pro bike fitting might be needed.

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic Darkglasses but seems like a pro bike fitting might be needed.

Oh what I meant was I find it hard to keep my balance on the rollers while going down to the drops, not that it's uncomfortable to ride in the drops.

That said, I have been thinking of getting one!

I just looked at a few clips of Rollers on you tube and they look a bit precarious, they would take a lot of getting used to, seems to me a turbo trainer are far more stable and there are rear tyre options available out there specifically for turbo trainer use.

I just looked at a few clips of Rollers on you tube and they look a bit precarious, they would take a lot of getting used to, seems to me a turbo trainer are far more stable and there are rear tyre options available out there specifically for turbo trainer use.

They are definitely much more stable, but for some that's seen as boring!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thanks ^^^ for your replies!

Right now, I found a spinning bike for 450euros that I am thinking of purchasing
    but also looking at this digital indoor trainer.

What are your thoughts on that turbo trainer? or would I be better off with a cheaper turbo trainer and purchasing this to co-incide?

I initially thought of the spinning bike as if my back continues to cause sporadic spasms as it has done since I was thrown off my bike last November, using a racer on the turbo may not be ideal posture-wise and the spinning bike may offer more support comfort and options :confused:

Again,
    Many Thanks in advance,
    kerry4sam

Wow that digital trainer is the dogs b****x, very space age with settings for every type of workout. You'd want to ultra serious about your cycling though considering the price tag that's attached to it, if i win the lotto it will be near the top of my "Items to purchase" list.

Totally up to yourself, both are good options. That Elite one will be much quieter, which is a great thing. There are plenty of good downloadable/youtube videos designed for use while on a turbo trainer. Sufferfest videos are meant to be fantastic, but they aren't free so I can't speak from experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Hi Sam.

I'm afraid you can't just buy the tacx software referred to in the other tread by smacl and connect it to any turbo. You usually buy the software and turbo as a package. They start around 500 quid on bike 24 for the tacx flow which is the basic model and go up to over a grand. Look at tacx website for more info. You also need fairly high spec PC or laptop to run software. If you can afford it its a super option for indoor training with virtual opponents and racing etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I'm a big fan of the Tacx VR gear, but it is pricey, a bit awkward to set up, and bigger than other units if you're using a steering frame. The Qubo is a bit cheaper on Bike24 than CRC, but they're liable to fleece you with shipping.

For me the big issue with home trainers is staying motivated long term to keep using them, and pushing hard enough when you do use them to get some benefit. If I wasn't using the VR, I'd probably go for some sufferfest gear and/or rollers, though I'd be nervous enough of rollers.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pdstck

Hi Kerry4sam
    What did you buy in the end, i am currently thinking of buying a turbo trainer or a spinning bike. I know you can get dvds to use with turbos to help push you along but presume the same can be got for spinning bikes, the one thing putting me of the spinning bike is that your cycling position would be totally different to sitting on a road bike. the digital indoor trainer looks good but i would probaly go with a mid range turbo trainer and get a garmin which i could use on the road aswell. any advice

Thanks

Advertisement