Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax relief

Options
  • 19-03-2014 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Tried calling the revenue and consulting their website. I paid for my PDE in education by a student loan. It is on the list that the course is approved. From speaking to them on the phone they said I cannot claim any relief because I have not paid enough tax. I can't seem to find that bit on the website. I am entitled to anything or just barking up the wrong tree.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

You can only claim tax relief if you actually paid tax at the marginal rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

scoopmine wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Tried calling the revenue and consulting their website. I paid for my PDE in education by a student loan. It is on the list that the course is approved. From speaking to them on the phone they said I cannot claim any relief because I have not paid enough tax. I can't seem to find that bit on the website. I am entitled to anything or just barking up the wrong tree.

It's like any tax relief or credit, it reduces the amount of tax you were due to pay. If you paid tax (paye/income tax) then the relief is put against it and a refund of tax is generated. If you didn't pay any tax then there's nothing for the relief to be put against, so no refund.

Advertisement