Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

BarneyMc wrote: »
    The ESB box is already in place :( Do you mean put a bit of PIR board behind it and if so should it sit against the inner leaf as opposed to right behind the box?
    you could remove it - call the ESB - they let me put mine on the garage - then you could bring just the cable across from there - or they might (check again with ESB) let you build a self standing item between house and pole - in the UK they sometimes do this
    on the PIR -yes - but check with arch/eng

I've no idea about the phone. I suppose it could be brought up one of the ducts that go under the ground floor slab?
    yes- but check with eircom - they are funny about using there own duct etc - try and speak to the chap who will actually install for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I plan on doing up a blog over winter to track performance but I thought today's stats were interesting for solar gain

The heating was on for an hour at 07:30 to 08:30 for the top two graphs.

The top graph is indoor temp of downstairs Bedroom North facing.

The Middle graph is large living space with very large glazing south facing

The bottom graph is large bedroom upstairs that still has plywood floor and no furniture but it has two windows South Facing and one window East facing.

As you can see the heating brought the downstairs bedroom up from 15.6c to 17.6c but it fell sharply over the day to 15.5c

The living space from went from 15.2c to 16.3c during the hour the heating was on (two rads in large area) then solar gain brought it up to 21.3c and it was still 20.2c at 16:30.

The unfinished Bedroom upstairs with no heating increased from 13.5c to 16c and was still 15.9c at 16:30

solargain1.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

fclauson wrote: »
    Barany - did you think to put the electric and phone box not attached to the main building - they create a horrible cold bridge - I know you have a wide cav - might want to put (check with arch/eng first) an solid bit of insu. board to go behind it as it will have a better U value

My elec is on the garage and my phone comes up via a duct in the middle of the house

I asked my project manager about this and he said it would take a days to rectify but it wasn't a big issue.

I'll contact the ESB tomorrow and see what they say to see if it's a go/no go.

When you say cold bridge are you saying the absence of the outer leaf block is allowing cold air to come in near contact with the cavity beads? Plus there might be air tightness issues?

I asked my project manager about this and he said it would take a days to rectify but it wasn't a big issue.

I'll contact the ESB tomorrow and see what they say to see if it's a go/no go.

When you say cold bridge are you saying the absence of the outer leaf block is allowing cold air to come in near contact with the cavity beads? Plus there might be air tightness issues?

as we are off topic - see new thread at on this at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87252574&postcount=1

The first floor slabs were laid today so another milestone met. The garage is coming on nicely also. Hope to get the 1st floor block work finished in the next 2 weeks, weather permitting! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Well wear barney. Some tidy block work there (as much as I can tell on a 4" screen!). The arches on the garage doorways look particularly well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

The first floor slabs were laid today so another milestone met. The garage is coming on nicely also. Hope to get the 1st floor block work finished in the next 2 weeks, weather permitting! :rolleyes:

Which one is the garage?!

Is there a reason for wrapping only the ends of the hollowcore and not the sides? Is that a radon barrier or polythene?

Looks great. Well done.

lownhard wrote: »
    Which one is the garage?!

Is there a reason for wrapping only the ends of the hollowcore and not the sides? Is that a radon barrier or polythene?

Looks great. Well done.

Yes, the garage or loft is bigger than I thought it would look!!

The sides of the hollowcore actually side along side the inner leaf if you know what I mean. I'll try and find out what material was used - I think it's polythene.

just do it wrote: »
    Well wear barney. Some tidy block work there (as much as I can tell on a 4" screen!). The arches on the garage doorways look particularly well.

Thanks do it, I'm very happy with the garage/loft... trying to get the old farmhouse look 'n' feel ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Open A

Did you know that self-buiders are to be phased out under the new building control regulations? http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2013/12/04/self-builders-to-be-phased-out-under-s-i-80-bregs/

Open A wrote: »
    Did you know that self-buiders are to be phased out under the new building control regulations? http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2013/12/04/self-builders-to-be-phased-out-under-s-i-80-bregs/
    Yes

Fair enough :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Open A wrote: »
    stop! copying the same post! please!

BryanF wrote: »
    stop! copying the same post! please!

I have stopped - I posted this before your comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tates1979

Quick update - haven't got on here as much as I'd have liked!

Vast majority of blockwork done, first floor slabbed, roof membrane on and half tiled. Roofer hopes to be finished this week and then will hopefully move on to garage (nearly finished).

Windows and doors next and then hopefully we'll be weathertight!

Pic attached, frosty this morning!

tates1979 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster in this thread. Finally got started two weeks ago.

Building a 3100sqft approx house in the midst of the Sperrins. Site is sloping, and had a horrendous amount of overgrowth. It took a good week of our work getting it cleared with the aid of chainsaws, diggers and a bonfire (godsend being allowed to burn the waste) to dispose of unneeded branches (all felled trees have been stripped, cut and stored for future firewood).

We let the contractors cut and fill into the slope - the site itself has managed to take the vast majority of it without having to draw away. There were a series of three interlinked old stone buildings, these have been used to make a roadway into the site, meaning that some of the stone and hardcore originally priced for in the tender for the drive could be spread at certain areas of the lane.

I have attached a couple of pictures - one a couple of days into our clearing the site of vegetation and the second the site as was on Saturday. The site faces NNW, with the vast amount of glazing on the south / south west side. The front of the house is stepped into the slope down in order to integrate into the site, maybe have to grade some of the soil down. Will have a retaining wall at the slope face - and/or a series of planted banks and terraces.

Will keep updating over couple of weeks - will also be asking advice in other threads!

• Advertisement

Quick update - haven't got on here as much as I'd have liked!

Vast majority of blockwork done, first floor slabbed, roof membrane on and half tiled. Roofer hopes to be finished this week and then will hopefully move on to garage (nearly finished).

Windows and doors next and then hopefully we'll be weathertight!

Pic attached, frosty this morning!

Looking at the window jams you seem to have incredibly little scope for insulating between the cavities - have you read the ACDs - http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,18751,en.pdf

specifically 1.24 and 1.25

I think it's done as in 1.24, cavity closer block, 100mm partial fill kingspan already installed...
    Looking at the window jams you seem to have incredibly little scope for insulating between the cavities - have you read the ACDs - http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,18751,en.pdf

specifically 1.24 and 1.25

I think it's done as in 1.24, cavity closer block, 100mm partial fill kingspan already installed...

are you building to part L 2011 - my understanding is that a 100mm cav partially filled will not pass the BER tests

are you building to part L 2011 - my understanding is that a 100mm cav partially filled will not pass the BER tests

Northern Ireland, so not sure if that the same. 150mm cavity, 100mm kingspan (think it's K8).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

Update as of today - insulation and plasterboard finished on friday, internal plasterers start now as i had to wait ages on the guys sealing the deck area to ensure no damp was getting into the rooms below. Three weeks will see them out then plumbing and ufh starts and floors poured. Walls pumped next monday, Kitchen is picked and getting a local guy to do it has saved approx £5k compared to the showroom people for the exact same kitchen.
    My only fear is that everyones now saying ah this is when the big bills will start rolling in or the expense is only starting. I know everyones gonna shout at me and say did you not get a bill of quantities done at the start or employ a QS, well the brothers a QS and i did get three quotes from contractors to do the whole build and i think i'm fairly covered budget wise as i have prices for the plumbing, sanitary ware, floor screeds, doors and skirting etc. Only thing i haven't got price for is tiles yet although i have a price for tiling per metre.
    Starting to get excited now and hoping for decent weather to get the outside rendered - elected for a weber finish after months of debating and viewing k-rend, STO rend and weber. Initially just wanted a sand cement floated finish on the exterior but my plasterer wouldn't do it as he says it will only crack and show up all the cracks and really didn;t want that.

class stairs do you have any pictures of it finished

• Advertisement

Northern Ireland, so not sure if that the same. 150mm cavity, 100mm kingspan (think it's K8).

ok - I am talking in the south

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

How will you heat the room on the left most of camera angle with all the windows?

Multi-fuel boiler stove, radiators.
    kboc wrote: »
    How will you heat the room on the left most of camera angle with all the windows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

class stairs do you have any pictures of it finished

So we made it....
    We are now moved in, slept in the new house for the first night exactly 18 months from when we first broke ground. 18th December. A word of advice don't try moving house the day after both your and your wifes Christmas parties when you're hungover as a dog.
    anyhow yes we are in and i honestly can't believe it, we had Christmas here and a new years eve/house warming party which was excellent, even if i did have to turn on the patio heaters.

So pluses - SPACE, SPACE, SPACE. a set of ten month old twins just don't know themselves in their walkers on tiled floors, the young lad is going round the place like the stig and loving it.
    I love the kitchen, which is high gloss and has a built in pantry which is about the same size as our last kitchen, breakfast bar and super views to three sides.
    I love the stairs and a credit to the guy who did them, he came up from cavan the day before xmas eve to do a few touch ups before the painter came to finish them, everyone who has seen them loves them and can't believe what they only cost. Still haven't found a carpet yet that we like for covering so they're still bare and waiting on the timber handrail, but i find myself sitting on the third step just looking round the hall and thinking of all the graft it took to get here and i just smile to myself, because the end result really is worth it.
    i used to think that Grand designs and kevin mccloud talked a load of bollox about how a house could impact upon your life and how something from bricks and mortar could enhance your life beyond what you could imagine - now i believe theres quite a lot of truth in it.
    For us as a family, i'm back on the home place and currently lambing sheep so a quick 120 second walk and i'm in the sheep shed and able to monitor things easily which means i'm fretting less about something being wrong and not there to check on it, which means i can spend more time in the house with the wife and kids knowing if i need to check on somnething its right at hand. The wife loves the space and being able to relax in her spa bathroom and being able to have people come and stay over is great, as previously we only had the two bedrooms.

Heating system is working super, although we'll still have to fiddle around with the controls to get it really right as the childrens bedroom is the only north facing room with a north window and would be slightly colder that the other rooms, its on a different zone so will be easy to rectify. the even temperature is brilliant, rather than having radiators, this morning it was 1 degree outside @ half five and when i came back in from the farm, there was no going and standing with my ass against a radiator, it was just lovely and comfortable.

Theres still a few snags to do, and the big room hasn't been touched until the wife decides what sort of style we want to do it in and i think we need to live here a year or so to decide on that and how the house fits us.
    Budget - we ran over about 5% and that was as a result of the contingency going in the first week of excavation, so the whole thing cost £173,250.
    I'll post more detail later and photos when i get the chance, but massive thanks to everyone on here for all your assistance and encouragement, even though we may not have communicated directly, knowing that other people had done it and learning from ye was something that is priceless. To those currently underway, don't get stressed about it, because no matter what you do and what you plan for something will go wrong and the sooner you realise that it is part and parcel of building your dream then the easier on you it will become.

Was it worth it??? Heres a photo of sunrise yesterday morning from the kitchen window and you decide..

AG

Big congratulations and I hope you really get the most out of the new build:). I can see why you would sit on the third step taking it all in - you deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

Anyone else counting the cost of the storms over the last 6 weeks on their self build?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LCRS

Has anyone had a look through the new building regs? Pretty hard hit for anyone thinking of starting a self build now...

YIIPPPEEEE :D

06jb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭samsclub

id ike to see more photos of before after on the self builds very interesting .

LCRS wrote: »
    Has anyone had a look through the new building regs? Pretty hard hit for anyone thinking of starting a self build now...

Self build is not really an option any more with the new regs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Self build is not really an option any more with the new regs

Allegedly! :D

Signed
    P. Hogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Selfbuilder14

Hi all

We may be some of the last self builders for a while. We just made the old regulations and are due to start our large extension very soon. Very daunting we are probably going to take things slowly with my husband a civil engineer project managing and doing some of the build himself. How do you manage a build and work full time on the plus side I am a stay at home Mum atm with three young children. We have detailed design and a structural engineer and architect but they think we should not go down the self build route favouring a builder but the cost of doing it with a builder is more than our budget. How much can we save? Or is it not the matter of saving money but doing it ourselves.

I should add that we are building a two storey extension with a curved barn shaped roof linked on to our seventies bungalow with a glass link which will also be the New position of our front door. It is a very exciting time. We have had to close off our secondary entrance a planning pre requirement and are more or less ready to start!!!! It will be a one off house we are building on 1500 square feet so our house is going to feel huge when we are finished. As we are all cramped at the momment I can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,063 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Any plans/elevations. Sounds like a fantastic build.

Are you living on site in the current house for the duration of the build>?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Any plans/elevations. Sounds like a fantastic build.

Are you living on site in the current house for the duration of the build>?

We plan to live in the house while we are building yes we have plans but not digitised on my phone. I will upload the plans when I get on the iPad later. We have a tight budget but hope to achieve our dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

Arrived yesterday and starting tomorrow! We can't wait to be finally starting! :D

20140518_200405.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,063 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Arrived yesterday and starting tomorrow! We can't wait to be finally starting! :D

20140518_200405.jpg

Find a post in the field, or a branch on a tree, basically something that isn't moving long term, and that you can put a camera sitting on in the same position every time. Then take a picture every day/every few days and it will make for an amazing time lapse of the full build start to finish.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Find a post in the field, or a branch on a tree, basically something that isn't moving long term, and that you can put a camera sitting on in the same position every time. Then take a picture every day/every few days and it will make for an amazing time lapse of the full build start to finish.

Yup the plan is to take it from 4 different angles and have a revolving time lapse!

So Day 1 down!

Didn't expect as much to be done, suppose as I didn't know better!

New entrance, triple existing gateway and driveway dug out plus 5 loads of stone.

20140519_115244.jpg

20140519_123633.jpg

Stripping top soil, all compacted with bucket at end of the day, very tidy...

20140519_120636.jpg

All foundations marked out and pegged.

20140519_172303_1.jpg

Steel, pipe work and cement etc arrived also at 7pm, wasn't expecting that either!

20140519_182953.jpg

All finished for today, ready to dig foundations in the morning.

20140519_172124.jpg

:D

Well done Cork self build, can I suggest you have a pump ready if you get serious rainfall, which sadly is very possible over the coming days.

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    Well done Cork self build, can I suggest you have a pump ready if you get serious rainfall, which sadly is very possible over the coming days.

Ya wasn't expecting a bad 1st week weather wise mid may but its Ireland, good call!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Ya wasn't expecting a bad 1st week weather wise mid may but its Ireland, good call!

Very nice site

Villain wrote: »

Day 2 - got foundations poured and the rain stayed away thankfully! :)

69177b6e6c898637dbf0548705c51e3e.jpg

Good stuff when I saw the flash flood reports I was worried you might have had a bad day!

So Week 1 down...

Been an exciting fast week! We were haunted with the weather only really rained this afternoon for an hour or two, but was a productive day, did a load of strimming, ready to set my posts which got delivered today, for the fence I need to lay tomorrow on one side of the site, the only open side.

20140524_111140.jpg

We are pretty much done with deadwork, ready to set with stone and dress earth ready for plumbing etc Monday, we also have an independent DPM / Radon barrier testing tomorrow to ensure no leaks etc before floors will be poured...

Dead work complete
    20140523_184541.jpg

Wish I'd more money for a bigger garage, but hey gotta stick to the budget, we will have a container hidden away as a Fuel Store for drying timber for the 2 stoves...
    20140523_184347.jpg

So we also went drilling the well this week...
    20140521_192658.jpg

All going "well" Friday evening, but we hit 60ft so called it a day.
    20140523_184307.jpg

Some sh1te coming up...
    20140524_153226.jpg

So today, kept going, had hoped for between 60 & 80 ft based on 2 neighbouring wells, so we hit 90ft, then 91, then at 92ft the steel stops sinking, disaster, a weld had failed along the way & no water... :-(

Leave it settle for an hour or two, nothing, so given that the steel somewhere has failed, it's dead... No way to pull it up realistically given depth... No option but stop the drill, so 92ft of steel gone to waste and 2 days work down the drain... No option but to cut the steel and call it a day and leave it all in the ground...

20140524_170541.jpg

Well driller was understandably pissed! Hopefully he will be back in a week or so he said and try again in a different spot, hopefully it won't be another 100ft + drill and save some money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

20140524_170541.jpg

Well driller was understandably pissed! Hopefully he will be back in a week or so he said and try again in a different spot, hopefully it won't be another 100ft + drill and save some money!

don't despair - we had to drill 90 metres :eek: to get our water !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

jesus! thats deep!!! was it mostly rock or earth?

galwaytt wrote: »
    don't despair - we had to drill 90 metres :eek: to get our water !!

About the same for us - at 300ft he was would have had to stop as that was the rigs max depth

the water now sits at around 30 to 60 feet but I do not know if we pump a lot out how long it takes to replenish

we did pump out sewage treatment system after 18 months and the view was it would not have lasted much longer before it started pushing sh1t into the percolation area -

Big depths! We're you drilling through rock or earth there?

Only 18 months for sewage, how many people using the system? The council rules made us use an 8 person one even there is only 2 of us... So far...

Big depths! We're you drilling through rock or earth there?
    solid magma (ex volcano) rock I think is what they said. We probably found a cave full of water
    [/quote]

Only 18 months for sewage, how many people using the system? The council rules made us use an 8 person one even there is only 2 of us... So far...[/QUOTE]

4 people plus kitchen sink grinder - for €220 - (which is cheaper than those who will be paying for water) seems good value to me

• Registered Users Posts: 25 roisincorran

Me. Im at 1rst fix.
    Mod Note - 9/10/2012: This thread is for discussing the various aspects of building as they arise. Do not use this thread for "pre-building" queries. Such queries should be posted in their own threads.

How many people on boards are in the process of building their own homes at the moment, have recently completed or planning to do so in the near future.

I am about 3/4 of the way through a self-build.
    It would be interesting to have a "live" list of current self-builds on the forum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement