Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecturing Interview

Options
  • 16-01-2014 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, new to 'boards' and have a query. I have an interview coming up for a lecturing position in an IT. I have been requested to give a 5 minute presentation at the interview about a topic 'related to the position of lecturer in Environmental Science'. That is as specific as it gets!

Has anyone any advice? Should I talk about latest trends in this area of research for example or maybe about departmental development??

I'd really appreciate any advice!

thanks,
    bluesky675:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Either of those topics would be good. I think the idea is really to see how well you present the information in terms of how you will manage in a lecture, rather than the content. So focus on giving a good presentation i.e. prepare and know your material, have attractive slides (don't cram them with tiny text), project your voice, don't ignore the audience, be confident and stick to the time allowed.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭bduffy

This presentation is all about communication and homework. Read up on the courses involved and check out the module descriptors. If there is a leaning towards chemical analysis then maybe go with an introduction to an analytical technique you're familiar with (eg. Chromatography). If it's more EHO orientated then you could always look at something in the media (eg. water quality in Irish waterways). If it's more of a biology based IOT then try to look at the increase in antibiotic resistant organisms and the current management strategies (eg. SARI).
    You don't have long so have a presentation outline, list of topics and then go with the first one.
    The knowledge you have will come out through the interview, but this is just like a standard spiel, an opportunity for you to warm up.
    Just my 5 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭bduffy

This presentation is all about communication and homework. Read up on the courses involved and check out the module descriptors. If there is a leaning towards chemical analysis then maybe go with an introduction to an analytical technique you're familiar with (eg. Chromatography). If it's more EHO orientated then you could always look at something in the media (eg. water quality in Irish waterways). If it's more of a biology based IOT then try to look at the increase in antibiotic resistant organisms and the current management strategies (eg. SARI).
    The knowledge you have will come out through the interview, but this is just like a standard spiel, an opportunity for you to warm up.
    Just my 5 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bluesky675

Thanks a million for your replies! They are really helpful to me, cheers

Advertisement