Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loose bottle holder rivet

• 15-10-2013 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Morning,

As per subject really. Having an annoying rattle for quite some time found the rivet, that has a thread for the bolt securing the bottle holder has got loose in the frame, can it be fixed/prevented before it makes its way out completely?

It's aluminum frame btw.

Maybe there are bottle holders that do not rest on these bolts alone?

Thanks and regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

They are pretty straightforward to tighten. If you have no bike tools cycle to your local bike shop and ask them to do it. Or even better cycle to you local bike shop and buy a bike tool and fix it yourself. You need a bike tool to do little jobs like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Thanks for the advise. I cycle Defy 1 and the place where these rivets are feels like paper - so thin the aluminum tube is. I just afraid it may break through. However if it never happened to anyone, maybe I worry to much. The bike still has the warranty, may take it to the LBS so.

Would gluing it help I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joehayes999

This should work -

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-vip-bottle-cage-clamps/

Just check if its suitable...Wiggle give decent online chat support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

I had this happen on probably a 7 year old Trek, though my GF has had it happen on her < 2 year old BeOne more recently. I tried an improvised tool for it when it happened on my bike, but they always worked loose again. Dropped it into a shop for a service and pointed it out at the same time, and he was able to fix it up during without issue. Once the GF's bike is due a service we'll probably do the same thing with it.

Unfortunately rivnuts can be a bit of a pain when they come loose like that, especially if they loosen enough that you can't unscrew the bolt. Any decent bikeshop should have experience of it though. I'm going contradict thebouldwhacker here though, and point out that no standard bike multitool (or even home toolkit for bikes) would have a proper tool for tightening the rivets (as opposed to the bolts), and it's probably less of a headache to just ask the shop to fix it, as they may well have either an appropriate tool, or have seen enough of them that they have a knack for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joehayes999

And this is the nut that you can use to replace the one that has fallen in. Fitting it seems tricky.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/rivnut-for-bottle-cage-bosses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Try not to equate thin with weak. Thin paper is weak but a bike frame is well researched and is as strong as is needed. Take a look at some racing videos on YouTube, ESP hard mountain stages and see the abuse that they can take. Unless you tighten them past reasonable tool pressure it will be fine.
    Again there are YouTube videos on bike maintainence which are great, or just pop into your local bike shop and ask for a quick demo.

Don't use glue on your bike, please don't

Edit,
    Sorry I misunderstood I thought it was the boss not its housing which had come loose.... Carry on, nothing to see here
    (Don't use glue ok.....)

Thanks for all advices, definitely no glue then :) I'll ask the shop to fix this for me and then maybe research a way of supporting the cage by some other means, maybe a single zip-tie around or something similar...

Thanks again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If you're in Dublin bring it in to Cycleways on parnell street or Stagg out in Lucan.

They can either tighten the rivnut in or replace it if needed.

I have a rivnut that came out of my right seat stay (rack mounting point) and I still haven't been able to bring it into them but they quoted me about €10 or something like that.

I'm tempted to just buy the nut from them and fit it myself, all you need is an allen key, a bolt to fit the rivnut, a nut to fit the bolt, a few greased washers and a spanner to either fit a new one or tighten an old one.

http://youtu.be/E8ssW67QZRI?t=10m

Thanks for that. Fortunately I could detach the cage no problem. You won't believe it took me ages to realize what exactly is rattling :)

I'm in Limerick, I'll take it to the shop I got the bike from.

Kind regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Don't over tighten it when putting it back in. I did this twice and had to get the whole thing drilled out and replaced as the threads were wrecked and the bolt was just spinning around with the housing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Seaneh wrote: »
    If you're in Dublin bring it in to Cycleways on parnell street...
    No more walk-ins at Cycleways now. All service/repairs must be booked online. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

No more walk-ins at Cycleways now. All service/repairs must be booked online. :(

They told me to just bring mine in and they'd have a look, and if needed book an appointment.

But my "job" is just putting a new rivnut on an insertion tool, pressing a handle and taking the tool out. 10 seconds work, he said he'd just do it on the spot.

Advertisement