Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about speeding fine issued through the post

Options
  • 15-03-2012 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I was stopped the other day going over the limit in Galway & the Garda, who was being fairly sound about it, told me that I had been caught speeding. He didn't show me any evidence that I had been or issue me with an on the spot fine but he did say that there would be a fine in the post. The fine just came today but a friend told me that unless a fine or notification was issued on the spot then I can dispute the claim when it goes to court. Does anyone know whether I have a leg to stand on here or not? Thanks lads & ladies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Your friend owes you a drink.

Garda does not have to show you anything nor is any ticket/fine/notification issued on the side of the road.

Procedure is exactly as happened with you:

You are stopped.

Garda logs offence on FCPS (Fixed Charge Penalty System)

Notice issues to you by post.

You pay/don't pay.

Simples :)

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BrianBrew

aha, I thought as much. I just needed to make sure. Thanks for the help anyway man, it's much appreciated. Looks like I'd better pay up so! Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Good man brew you have a good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Never rely on mates or men down the pub for legal advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Eru wrote: »
    Never rely on mates or men down the pub for legal advise.

Ah hold on!

I know a fella whos brothers mates uncles fathers brother told him that a Garda can't do you if he's not wearing his hat..... and false moustache. FACT!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement