Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electronic Drum Advice

Options
  • 03-06-2006 8:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi I've been playing acoustic drums for the last few years and I'm moving abroad and can't really bring all the kit with me (too heavy, too big, too noisey etc) so I was wondering whats the story with electronic drums. Had a look online and see theres a good choice of stuff. Just need to know where to start and whats good to get.
    Just wondering if anyone here knows much about them and some adive for a starter in the electronics going for no more than a grand say

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

roland modules td8+ are fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

You might get a TD-6 for a grand, they're pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭joshcork

Thanks will take it into consideration might spend a little more and get a nicer setup. But must go find some sets to play with first to get a feel for it all

You have a look downstairs in musicmaker, they have a few nice mesh kits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

Hows it going?

I've had a TD 6 for a few years and they are great, very compact can fit a very basic kit in a suitcase (I did it myself when I went off to OZ - snare, hihat, bass drum, 1 tom, and 1 cymbal). Very flexible module with great sounds. Check out www.thomann.de for prices. Also musicmaker have them so you can check out how they feel there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Roland V-Drums seem like a good set. I know two people with em and they're both over the moon with em.

Yeah you can't really go wrong with a TD6 for the price, the kit I bought off of Beecher is a great tool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭joshcork

Thanks was looking around alright on the various online sales shops and there is a good variety. But the thing is I'm over in abu dhabi now so its difficult to go check things out and travel costs of the gear might get a little silly fast.
    Question, are the mesh heads in opinions better at replicating the acoustic sound or better digitally speaking than the rubber pads and which is louder when played, noise is a concern (live in appartment next lots of people with little patience with drums I thinks).
    The TD-6 looks fine was thinking around that price its gets expensive fast if you want better and I wouldn't appreicate it yet anyhow.
    Had a look at thomann and narrowed it down to these two

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_roland_td6kvmds3c_semi_vdrum_set_prodinfo.html

Or

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_yamaha_dtxpress_s_prodinfo.html

anyone with experience with either of these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Well I've played the Roland and it's a nice confortable piece of kit. I'd say that's your best bet. It looks like it has a mesh snare too, which is a plus cuz it feels alot more like a real snare.

On the other hand, whenever I buy any Yamaha gear, I'm always very happy with it. They make great stuff.

Well mesh heads are pretty realistic to play, moreso than rubber pads and they're quieter too but you're real concern regarding noise is the bass pedal hitting off the floor if you live upstairs above other people. Rubber pads feel grand to me though, I'd recommend a mesh snare and rubber toms/bass pad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement