Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mafia II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I downloaded the demo for the PS3 & the 360. No comparison, I am getting the 360 version. The framerate on the PS3 version was horrible at times, and I didn't get the same on the 360.

Will take a bit of getting used to seeing as I played the original on the PC. I used to love driving and shooting out the window at the same time......I don't think you can do this in Mafia II. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you get it from Steam they throw in the original Mafia. Played it there yesterday and it feels so dated - specially the lack of a mini-map to tell you where to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Stephen wrote: »
    If you get it from Steam they throw in the original Mafia. Played it there yesterday and it feels so dated - specially the lack of a mini-map to tell you where to go!

IIRC press tab and you get a real time map.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Played the demo last night. The framerate suxxored.

edit: xbox 360

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    IIRC press tab and you get a real time map.

That is correct but its a pain in the ass because it takes up most of the screen so you can't see where you're going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Somewhat similar to looking at a map in real life!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Played this demo last night but I didn't really like it. Although, I was hammered so that may have hampered my final decison making. I'll play it again this evening after work.

I do, however like the cover system. If you're comparing it to Kane and Lynch then it's a hell of a lot better. Quicker, easier to manouever (sp?) while in covering position and the aiming system is a hell of a lot better.

I'm sure I'll be able to think of a clearer decision on it later on. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

MarkJD wrote: »
    ^ Pretty much, not sure what problems your having with the PC but my machine is currently low end for a gaming machine and duo core and 4850 but it looks and plays flawless even on high. Might want to update your drivers?

1281515210729.jpg

................LIES!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Definately not lies. They even had to hire a 2nd studio to optimize the framerate for the PS3 version
    The PlayStation 3 version became subject to controversy on 2K's Mafia II Forums when 2K's Interactive Marketing Manager Elizabeth Tobey stated that the PS3 version would be missing certain features that were present in the Xbox 360 version including three dimensional grass, pools of blood forming under dead bodies and realistic cloth physics.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-17-2k-mafia-ii-loses-some-detail-on-ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Definately not lies. They even had to hire a 2nd studio to optimize the framerate for the PS3 version

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-17-2k-mafia-ii-loses-some-detail-on-ps3

Was gonna buy this for the PS3 but I'll be getting it on the Xbox so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

literally just arrived in the post, buggers took their time getting this one out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I can honestly say i have never bought or not bought a game due to the grass.

While the difference in a PS3 title is a bit annoying ive found once i get into a game the graphics mean less and less. If the story carries it i wont care. As long as the graphics dont jump or become blurred or jagged when moving im happy.

I guess steam won't be doing a preload on this one then, it'd have started by now I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I can honestly say i have never bought or not bought a game due to the grass.

Football game would suck without it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

games been leeked

awhir wrote: »
    games been leeked

Is that a grass vegetation joke?

1/10 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

haha sorry leaked :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Played the original, last mission I played was a diner in the middle of nowhere, you climb up some boxes outside to a window but its a trap and you shoot your way out.

Best part was the fact that you can adjust your speed to match the limit, so no cops pulling you over for speeding. Are you listening Driver.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

theres a speed limiter in mafia ii as well

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

G2Play.net have it on preorder for €30. Ive used them before for other steam games (COD2, COD-MW, L4D) and never had any real problems.

I might wait until its actually released to buy off them though, I dont fancy giving them my money a week before release.

http://www.g2play.net/store/Mafia-2/

• Advertisement

is it not out tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

27th this month is the release date man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It seems the game has hit a nerve:
    GameSpot wrote:
    Over five years after the "Hot Coffee" Grand Theft Auto scandal, another Take-Two Interactive title has become a lightning rod for controversy. However, the flap is several orders of magnitude smaller than the hidden-sex-minigame debacle, as it involves a single organization accusing a game of perpetuating ethnic stereotypes.

This time around, the game is Mafia II, due out August 24 on the PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360. Mafia II is in development at 2K Czech (nee Illusion Softworks), the studio behind the first Mafia game back in 2002. The game is set in Empire Bay, a New York-like metropolis, and follows novice mob soldier Vito Scaletta as he rises through the ranks of La Cosa Nostra during the 1950s.

Though similar mob stories have been told before in film (The Godfather, Goodfellas), television (The Sopranos), and games (The Godfather, certain Grand Theft Auto IV plotlines), Mafia II has hit a nerve with UNICO National, the US's largest Italian-American heritage foundation. The organization's president, Andre DiMino, accused Take-Two of "inappropriate and insulting perpetuation of the pervasive and denigrating stereotype of organized crime being the exclusive domain of Italians and Italian-Americans."

"Why would [Take-Two] foist a game on their targeted audience of young people wherein they will indoctrinate a new generation into directly associating Italians and Italian-Americans with violent, murderous organized crime, to the exclusion of all of the other 'mafias' run by other ethnic and racial groups," DiMino said in a statement. "Take-Two is directly, blatantly and unfairly discriminating and demeaning one group to the exclusion of all others. We are demanding they halt release of the game and cleanse it of all references to Italians and Italian-Americans."

DiMino went on to accuse Take-Two of having a "history of perpetrating its violent, sleazy, racist videogames upon an unsuspecting public." He referenced a past controversy caused by a level in the 2002 game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. In it, players were exhorted by an onscreen command to "Kill all the Haitians!" when confronted by a group of machete-wielding criminals from the island nation. Haitian-American leaders took the command as an exhortation to kill all the Haitians in the world and staged protests outside Take-Two's offices in New York City.

In a statement provided to GameSpot, Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick rebuffed UNICO and DiMino's charges. "Mafia II tells a compelling story about organized crime in America - a subject that for decades has been featured in movies, television shows and novels. Neither UNICO nor any other organization purporting to represent Italian-Americans has seen or played Mafia II."

He continued, "At Take-Two, we balance our right to free expression with what we believe is a thoughtful and responsible approach to creating and marketing our products. … We will only release a title that meets our standards: as art, as entertainment and as a socially responsible product. We aim to distinguish creative and compelling story telling that advances artistic expression from subject matter that gratuitously exploits or glorifies violence or stereotypes. I fully and completely stand behind our creative teams and products, including Mafia II."
    I mean, what were they thinking? Having Italian's in a game about the Mafia? Craziness!

I was expecting the whining to be about the playboy centrefolds!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Stephen wrote: »
    I was expecting the whining to be about the playboy centrefolds!
    Not naked enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

http://www.destructoid.com/review-mafia-ii-181950.phtml

Destructoid review
    360/PC 6.5, PS3 7.5

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/23/review-mafia-2/

Joystiq Review
    3.5/5

Both complain that there's too much driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Can't wait for the game to come out on Friday, I've played the demo about 10 times. I'm a little disappointed that the story, from what reviews have said, is only around 10-15 hours or so but I suppose it's better than the constant 5-6 hour games that have been coming out. At least the achievements will add some replay for me, I just hope the story is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

ShaneU wrote: »
    http://www.destructoid.com/review-mafia-ii-181950.phtml

Destructoid review
    360/PC 6.5, PS3 7.5

Interesting PS3 advantage mentioned in that review that I wasn't aware of:
    The PlayStation 3 Advantage

While for this review I played the game to its completion on the PlayStation 3, I spent some time with both the Xbox 360 and PC versions for comparison. It needs to be said upfront that the PS3 version of Mafia II is the least visually impressive of the bunch, missing a number of subtle game effects that were pulled from the game, reportedly due to performance issues. With the right rig, you’ll get the best visual fidelity on the PC (the “PhysX” stuff, as usual, looks great), with the Xbox 360 version trailing slightly behind.

But visual nitpicking aside, all of the games are functionally indistinguishable; the experience is going to be mostly the same on all three platforms. The PS3 version of the Mafia II, however, features more content, due to the fact that all new copies ship with a unique code that will allow you to download a game add-on called “The Betrayal of Jimmy.” It’s this add-on content that makes purchasing Mafia II on the PS3 (if given options) a no-brainer.

“Betrayal” is exclusive to the PS3, and features mafia goon Jimmy in well over 20 unique missions that have a more action-packed, arcade-style slant than anything found in the standalone game. You’ll be scored per mission on everything from kills (including score multipliers), speed, drifting your car, and more. There’s a story here, but it’s really secondary to the action, which makes it feel wholly different than stock Mafia II experience. After completing the 10 hour on-disc story, “Betrayal” is a welcome addition, one that encourages players to play and explore Empire City in a way the core game refuses to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Interesting PS3 advantage mentioned in that review that I wasn't aware of:

I have both systems and enjoy them both, am a fanboy of neither, so I weigh up the pros and cons of each version for multiplatform games, and in this case the 360's winning it for me,

Better graphics and presentation throughout the entirety of the game, versus some "exclusive" PS3 content which, lets face it, probably won't be exclusive for very long and will be available as DLC on XBox Live in about 6 months anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Branoic wrote: »
    I have both systems and enjoy them both, am a fanboy of neither, so I weigh up the pros and cons of each version for multiplatform games, and in this case the 360's winning it for me,

Better graphics and presentation throughout the entirety of the game, versus some "exclusive" PS3 content which, lets face it, probably won't be exclusive for very long and will be available as DLC on XBox Live in about 6 months anyway.

Yeah fair enough. I only have a PS3 as my 360 went RRod so this is good news. 10 or so extra hours of gameplay is pretty good even if the graphics are not as good.

Advertisement