Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty replacement Fridge Freezer

Options
  • 21-08-2014 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭

Bought a Liebherr fridge freezer from DID four years ago.

After 1 and 3/4 years it stopped working. (Within Guarantee).

That replacement has now developed a fault in that it will not switch off, It is running day and night.

We have had this one over 2 years and DID say it is out of warranty.

Do we have any comeback in relation to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Yes definitely, you have rights under the Sale Of Goods and Supply of Services Act. These rights are independent of any warranty.

Basically under this act the seller must deal with any issues you have for a reasonable lifetime of the product. I'd say it's reasonable to expect a fridge to last more than 2 years therefore in your case imo the seller is obliged to remedy the situation. I suggest you remind DID of their obligations under the SoGASA and request them to redress the problem within a reasonable period, say 10 working days. Under the act redress can take the form of a repair, replacement or full/partial refund, or you can accept any other option if you wish. You may have to negotiate for whichever option suits you best.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

^^Spot on, but bear in mind that the retailer is entitled to determine if there is a genuine fault, or if it's due to user error.

I would expect a fridge to last more than two years, so I'd be heading back to DID. Warranty aside, they have to address faulty goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AlwaysAmber

I think the date of original purchase is the important date here, not the replacement date. So the original fridge was bought 4 years ago - you would still have the rights outlined above, but if it went to the Small Claims Courts the Judges decision would be based on 4 years usage and not 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I think the date of original purchase is the important date here, not the replacement date. So the original fridge was bought 4 years ago - you would still have the rights outlined above, but if it went to the Small Claims Courts the Judges decision would be based on 4 years usage and not 2.

Are you sure of that, or is that an opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Rang DID, They fobbed me off and told me to ring Liebherr dealers in Dublin.

Awaiting their call......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

Are you sure of that, or is that an opinion?

this is also my understanding aswell.

As it stands the OP has had 4 years use of a Fridge from when they parted with the money for it.

As an example - should the SCC decide to make an award to the OP this length of time will be factored in to the award - back of an envelope figures

Purchase price €1000, expected useful life 6 years. Only 4 years use ... therefore OP entitled to return faulty unit to DID and receive refund for two of the six years (about €330)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It is over 4 years old. The repair may not be that expensive as it sounds like a thermostat problem. Can the store not arrange for a repair man to call and just get the thing repaired. I don't think it unreasonable for the OP to pay for a repair to a thermostat after more than 4 years with a fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

In fairness Liebherr have said they will try to do something.

Meanwhile buying single pints of milk and eating tonnes of defrosted spinach

Waiting 8 days for a reply.

Have a suspicion I was fobbed off by Liebherr

• Advertisement

Threaten then with small claims court and forward on that link above to them... They will soon take their fingers out of their asre....

Threaten then with small claims court and forward on that link above to them... They will soon take their fingers out of their asre....

Liebherr don't have to do anything and imo taking Liebherr to the SCC would be futile as Liebherr have discharged their liability to the OP once the 2 year warranty expired, i.e there is no grounds for a suit and they probably know that.

The OP needs to deal with DID and be a bit more assertive. That's where his contract lies and he's allowing them off the hook imo. I think anyone would expect a fridge freezer to last a lot longer than 4 years if it is installed in accordance to manufacturer's instructions so he has a fair chance of a favourable decision should he decide to take the retailer to court.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Liebherr don't have to do anything and imo taking Liebherr to the SCC would be futile as Liebherr have discharged their liability to the OP once the 2 year warranty expired, i.e there is no grounds for a suit and they probably know that.

The OP needs to deal with DID and be a bit more assertive. That's where his contract lies and he's allowing them off the hook imo. I think anyone would expect a fridge freezer to last a lot longer than 4 years if it is installed in accordance to manufacturer's instructions so he has a fair chance of a favourable decision should he decide to take the retailer to court.

That is correct, he does need to take D.I.D to small claims court and NOT Liebherr as it was D.I.D he took the contract out (Sale of goods act) with when he bought the Fridge freezer from them.....

and it should last a reasonable time... There is no court in the land that would side with D.I.D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

That replacement has now developed a fault in that it will not switch off, It is running day and night.

Im confused why woudl you be switcing your fridge freezer on and off besides wanting to defrost ?

Is this something your doing regularly or were doing regularly ? I ask as its possible that based on your usage of the item the fault has been introduced and the retailer or manufacturer may have no liability here.

D3PO wrote: »
    Im confused why woudl you be switcing your fridge freezer on and off besides wanting to defrost ?

Is this something your doing regularly or were doing regularly ? I ask as its possible that based on your usage of the item the fault has been introduced and the retailer or manufacturer may have no liability here.

I take it that the poster means the compressor is running continuously rather than cutting in/out as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

i would advise you to put your complaint in writing to DID and send by registered post. They will try and fob you off on the phone. You should be dealing with DID and not Liebherr. This worked for me when I had a faulty phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I take it that the poster means the compressor is running continuously rather than cutting in/out as required.

Possibly but I think its important they clarify though as their use of the product could well impact their position from a consumer standpoint.

No joy, just bought a new fridge in Cunniffes.

Advertisement