Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pope denouncing IVF treatment

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

vicwatson wrote: »
    Sure wasn't the last pope as bad really, I think it's inherent in the name "pope" to be honest. They just spout.
    Maybe I'm showing my age, but I think JP was a little quieter on making big declarations about evil this and that, but maybe I'm wrong.

I think the reason why Ratzy appears so bad is because a lot of us grew up with JP and as Irish society diverged from Catholic doctrine, people recognised that JP was behind the times, but then he was old and doddery. It was no more shocking than your grandad talking about how gays were evil - as shure it's grand, he's old and set in his ways.

When JP left then, I think a lot of people expected a slightly more progressive pope for a more progressive time, but instead they appointed someone arguably more conservative than before, driving the wedge between the Irish and Catholicism even further.

It also doesn't help that Ratzy looks evil. At least JP had the smiling old man thing going on. Ratzy looks like a school headmaster from a Roald Dahl book.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

seamus wrote: »
    JP ....

It also doesn't help that Ratzy looks evil. At least JP had the smiling old man thing going on. Ratzy looks like a school headmaster from a Roald Dahl book.

One thing I find interesting about the two is everyone seems fine using the last popes honorific name, but everyone calls Benny Ratzy instead. Even someone like yourself or myself who doesn't have any inherent respect for either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's because Wojtyła is way harder to remember than RatMan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Stark wrote: »
    That's because Wojtyła is way harder to remember than RatMan.
    I'm sticking to Papa Ratzi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Sometimes the church can make it very hard to be a catholic and with statements like this I have to say they are their own worst enemy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

One thing I find interesting about the two is everyone seems fine using the last popes honorific name, but everyone calls Benny Ratzy instead. Even someone like yourself or myself who doesn't have any inherent respect for either!

Well, I think as Stark has commented, it's just that Karol Wojtyla is just too hard to shorten. However, I suggest that given the obvious resemblance between Ratzi and Darth Sidious

pope-benedict.jpg

we could refer to PJP2 as Darth Plagueis instead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

they are their own worst enemy
    Saves effort on our part -- suits me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

robindch wrote: »
    Saves effort on our part -- suits me!

No no no... It's our job to twist the knife that they stabbed themselves with.

I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

seamus wrote: »
    Maybe I'm showing my age, but I think JP was a little quieter on making big declarations about evil this and that, but maybe I'm wrong.

I think the reason why Ratzy appears so bad is because a lot of us grew up with JP and as Irish society diverged from Catholic doctrine, people recognised that JP was behind the times, but then he was old and doddery. It was no more shocking than your grandad talking about how gays were evil - as shure it's grand, he's old and set in his ways.

When JP left then, I think a lot of people expected a slightly more progressive pope for a more progressive time, but instead they appointed someone arguably more conservative than before, driving the wedge between the Irish and Catholicism even further.

but I think JP was a little quieter on making big declarations about evil this and that, but maybe I'm wrong.

No you're are correct - but remember that old and doddery man was presiding over the requests for information on Child Abuse in this country and basically told the Irish to go and F**k off.

Ratz from the flatz looks very eveil though

• Advertisement
Advertisement