Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

DA/Orbital Buffer

Options
  • 15-06-2013 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Not too sure on the terminology used in detailing, as I'm sure you'll see :rolleyes:

I'm looking for a machine polisher to do a bit of work on my recent bangernomics purcahse, it's not in a bad way but it could do with a shining up. The headlights also need a good going over to remove clouding. Toothpaste worked a treat, but it would take many hours of hand polishing to get them like new again. Lidl had an orbital on special a couple of weeks back, but I've read on here that a DA is a far safer buy, especially if one is quite amateurish. Is this still the general consensus? I'm not thinking of going pro or anything, or even achieving this level of perfection, is a DA still worth the extra few yoyos?

I know there's a lot of love for the Kestrel around these parts, but has anyone experience with something like this? I don't have the €160+ for a DAS-6, especially considering the bangernomics theme of the car. I mean, I used Tesco value toothpaste on the headlights :pac:. The Sealey item has 60W compared to the Kestrel's 500W, does this mean that it will just take longer to do the same work as the Kestrel or that it will just bog down and give up? If it just means taking a little longer I'd be fine with that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

The Sealey "polisher" that you have linked, isnt really a polisher. Its more of a buffer...replaces the effort you'd do by hand. Its OK for helping buff wax. You wont get much correction with it; perhaps slightly better than what you'd achieve by hand. It doesnt have the power or the speed to produce the results that were achieved by DA owner in the link. That took quite a bit of time and patience to achieve those good results.

I think if you haven't the cash to splash out for a DA, then you should spend a few quid on clay, hand polish and a good wax/sealant.
    Something like Chemical Guys 3n Pro Polish, will give decent results by hand. It will remove oxidation, and return the gloss and shine to the paintwork, and help fill (hide) swirls. It is an All in One product, in the sense that its will protect the paint, but I would still advice a wax or sealant on top of it. Another option would be Autoglym Super Resin Polish. A few guys on here have used it and gotten results that they have been pleased with. It is also a polish with fillers, and also needs to be sealed in, so that it doesnt wash out with rain or when washing the car. Its best to stick with protection from Autoglym if using SRP, and AG Extra Gloss Protection is a great sealant for the price; good protection and looks very well.

Instead of the 40 quid for the buffer, for about 60 quid, you should be able to pick up tar remover, clay, polish and protection.
    With a good clay and hand polish, I reckon your "bangeromic" will look great and you should be pleased with the difference! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you :)

I've built up a collection of lotions and potions, and I have some ok-ish claybar, tar remover, alloy cleaner, etc. I had a look at the 3n Polish on detailingshed, and it looks the business. So does the SRP actually :D. Just to clarify, this goes straight onto a washed, detarred, clayed and dried car? And something like the Autoglym sealant is put on top afterwards? I'm no stranger to washing and claying but I've never used any polishes or waxes other than quick detailer type sprays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Wash
    De-Tar
    Rinse
    Clay
    Wash
    Dry
    Polish
    Wax/Sealant

Quick Detailer to boost shine after you've done your weekly wash and dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Excellent, thanks for your help :)

Advertisement