Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland generally a fat country, on average?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'm not sure how an online body fat calculator would work. What do you do, put in what you weigh?

The one I used looked for weight then waist, hip, wrist and forearm measurements. It was the first test that came up on Google. Not sure how reliable it is compared to using calipers/measuring tape though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Says I'm most likely someone from D.R. Congo. *Checks where D.R. Congo is on the list*
    Oh dear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I'm most like someone from Thailand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

With a BMI of 19

"You're most like someone from DR Congo"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Maybe I have just been unlucky with sights but I spent all Saturday in Dublin city and 2 days in Galway last week, in the middle of all the hot weather and I can count on one hand the amount of heavy people I saw. For all the statistics on all the overweight and obese people in Ireland I saw nothing but slim fit and toned men and women out and about in shorts and bare torsos. Taking into account many overweight people probably avoid crowds, in two highly populated cities I saw very little evidence of them.

Also, most shops simply havent caught up to the obesity crisis in this country. Shops like Pennys, TK Maxx and Jack and Jones STILL cater for a client base of 34W 32L, when all the heavy people are surely 40W and heavier, but these options cannot be found, the country is still only catering for the 1990s Ireland and has a lot of work to do. So in short Ireland is apparently a heavy country but maybe most of these people are in hiding!

You'll find them plodding round shopping centres as their pass time. That way they never have to walk up a hill and are never too far from a pizza or snack box.
    obesity is definitely a problem and it's on the rise, and seriously on the rise in children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

IM0 wrote: »
    thats junk data, they are half right

Well what I quoted was a description rather than data. Feel free to post a more accurate one if you don't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

bbam wrote: »
    You'll find them plodding round shopping centres as their pass time. That way they never have to walk up a hill and are never too far from a pizza or snack box.
    obesity is definitely a problem and it's on the rise, and seriously on the rise in children.

Won't somebody please think of the... Ahh fcuk it, I can't be àrsed, suffice to say that such silly generalisations and scaremongering just get on my tits. Nothing personal bbam as I guess when one hears it often enough in the media they start to believe it, but it's a misguided perception.

Obesity or anything even approaching it isn't on the rise in children. Their preoccupation with their body image IS on the rise though given that they are constantly bombarded with, and subjected to, all this nonsense.

They shouldn't be, and they should be allowed to be children, and develop naturally and normally, but with knee-jerk reactive parents feeding nothing but their insecurities, children's preoccupation with their weight is one metric that's unlikely to decrease in the future. If anything it's only likely to get worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

On the radio today they were saying that Brian O Driscoll would be obese if BMI was used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

woodoo wrote: »
    On the radio today they were saying that Brian O Driscoll would be obese if BMI was used.

Yeah but he's a big muscly feck, clearly if you've a high BMI and you're a tank with no tummy you'll know you're grand, a bit of common sense helps a lot with the BMI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

bluewolf wrote: »
    With a bit more fresh air and a few less sugar drinks?

Absolutely! And with the Summer holidays coming up there's no better time to stop using the laptop / game console / tv as an unpaid baby sitter and take the children down the park for an hour for a runabout. That way parents too get some exercise and it's a great way to spend time with their children and teach them the value of exercise - "monkey see, monkey do" and all that jazz :D

• Advertisement

Fbjm wrote: »
    Yeah but he's a big muscly feck, clearly if you've a high BMI and you're a tank with no tummy you'll know you're grand, a bit of common sense helps a lot with the BMI.

Extra weight, be it lots of muscle or fat, still increases your chance of getting diabetes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

That website told me I needed to go to the gym :( Never am I clicking on links in AH again..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Have to say giving up the sugary drink would be a big challenge for me, I love a nice can of coke with food, you can't beat it IMO

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

BMI lower than 99% of males aged between 15-29 in Ireland and 91% of males around the world. Fook me I didn't think it was that bad..

Gotta love eating like a pig and putting on feck all. I don't think the gods of diabetes and cholesterol will be as kind to me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Extra weight, be it lots of muscle or fat, still increases your chance of getting diabetes.

Source on the muscle part?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

carzony wrote: »
    Have to say giving up the sugary drink would be a big challenge for me, I love a nice can of coke with food, you can't beat it IMO

diet soda for starts

DaveDaRave wrote: »
    diet soda for starts

I thought that the diet stuff was just as bad for you? Obviousally the adds are gonna tell you it's good but I could have sworn I hear they take the sugar out and just add other **** that's just as bad for you??

I thought that the diet stuff was just as bad for you? Obviousally the adds are gonna tell you it's good but I could have sworn I hear they take the sugar out and just add other **** that's just as bad for you??

a 330ml can of coke has an ungodly amount of sugar inside. Its like 10 teaspoons of sugar.

Whatever about the controversy of diet soda and artificial sweeteners, it contains no calories and no sugar so its far better for your health than drinking half your daily recommended sugar in one go.

a 330ml can of coke has an ungodly amount of sugar inside. Its like 10 teaspoons of sugar.

Whatever about the controversy of diet soda and artificial sweeteners, it contains no calories and no sugar so its far better for your health than drinking half your daily recommended sugar in one go.

I think i'm being a bit slow here but I never knew there was so much sugar in just one canI know there was a hell of a lot but not that level, Jesus I'v been drinking atleast 2 cans a day since childhood, I'm not particularly fat but I could be a lot fitter.

This is somthing i'll have to address tomorrow, Coke Zero or Diet coke will have to do me now ;)

Cossax wrote: »
    Source on the muscle part?

Extra weight puts pressure on the Pancreas and disrupts the production of insulin and the way in which the body uses the insulin it does make. Extra fat is worse though because it's obviously easier to have a huge stomach consisting of fat than it is to have a huge stomach consisting of muscle.
    I don't have a source. Learned it in college in a Nutrition module.

• Advertisement

I think i'm being a bit slow here but I never knew there was so much sugar in just one canI know there was a hell of a lot but not that level, Jesus I'v been drinking atleast 2 cans a day since childhood, I'm not particularly fat but I could be a lot fitter.

This is somthing i'll have to address tomorrow, Coke Zero or Diet coke will have to do me now ;)

I used to be all nazi about my diet, stopped eating white bread, biscuits, fast food, went a bit OTT, now im a bit more balanced, eat mostly well just try not to overeat bad foods. But one thing ill never go back to is sugar-full soda, makes me feel like ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

It's pretty fat. Not Samoa fat but slowly getting there.

Nowhere near getting there.

Also, what's a micronesia and why is everyone so fat there?

I used to be all nazi about my diet, stopped eating white bread, biscuits, fast food, went a bit OTT, now im a bit more balanced, eat mostly well just try not to overeat bad foods. But one thing ill never go back to is sugar-full soda, makes me feel like ****.

I'v often wondered how coke and caburys and stuff like that get away with selling such sugary food, I suppose the simple answer is like everything else $$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Also, what's a micronesia and why is everyone so fat there?

Not sure if serious, but it's an interesting topic, so here you!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1543512/Pacific-islanders-worlds-fattest-people.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

BMI 22, for my age 72% of women are heavier than me :eek:, I have a lower BMI than 62% of women in the world my age. Most like someone from Cenral African Republic - totally shocked as I thought that I was fairly big, it must be because most of the people that I know are younger than me (including my husband :) ). I am a type 1 diabetic a lot of people confuse it with type 2 which can in some cases be exacerbated by obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

SamHall wrote: »
    Snack boxes, spice burgers, puddin, tayto and Guinness.....

Are ye surprised?

I don't consume any of these...

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭FreshKnickers

A big problem with artifical sweeteners is that the sweet taste encourages your body to expect sugar. Then when you don't give your body sugar it craves that sugar hit from any source it can get.

Another is that lots of artifical sweeteners affect how your body stores calories and encourages it to stores more fat than it otherwise would.

Link for further reading if anyone wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

BMI 25 Apparently I am bigger than 71% of the country. Play Gaelic football/hurling 3 days a week and do weights sessions 3 days a week. Body Fat is 11 - 12% think I will just ignore the BMI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Smeggy wrote: »
    You have a higher BMI than 98% of females aged 15-29 in your country

You have a higher BMI than 95% of females aged 15-29 in the world

:eek:

I got 100% on both counts. :)

Advertisement