Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What makes you think we don't need a left back?

Enrique, Robinson, Johnson, Agger. Its one of the last positions we need to strengthen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

What makes you think we don't need a left back?

We need backup for Enrique for sure

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    To be fair, if we took 2 points from our first 6 games I'd be interested to see how patient and optimistic you or anyone else remains.

I hope he doesn't get off to such a start, the pressure from then on would be suffocating.

If we played well and were unlucky in defeat against United, City and Arsenal then i wouldnt be annoyed. If we collapsed against them like we have done recently then my optimism would be gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Melion wrote: »
    Enrique, Robinson, Johnson, Agger. Its one of the last positions we need to strengthen

Enrique: great start to season then MUCK.
    Robinson: Potential
    Johnson: RB
    Agger: CB

WE NEED A LB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

monkey9 wrote: »
    Rumours linking Liverpool and Newcastle to Montpellier left back Henri Bedimo.

Quite a useful player and very good in possession as well as being strong in defensive terms.

In many ways he would appear to be the kind of player that Rodgers would like.

Hard working, good in terms of positioning, very comfortable on the ball, and a good passer of the ball.But I would be surprised if he would want to come and be a back up player to Enrique (although he would be very solid back up to have and genuine competition for the LB slot).

If he is a target, then he would be a cheap (ish) one as he would/should cost in and around the £3m to £4m mark.

WE NEED A LB

Enrique is a top class left back, stop believing what papers etc say.
    Robinson is a perfectly good back-up
    Johnson IMO over the last few years has played better on the left than on the right
    Agger is very capable of slotting in on the left if he is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Johnson IMO over the last few years has played better on the left than on the right

I don't read the papers and I still think Enrique was pretty poor towards the end last year. Before that he was hyped up by out support thanks to him settling in quickly and performing at a decent level compared to the other summer signings. He is a good left back but is not top class or even one of the best in the league. He is terrible with the ball going forward and that is a much needed ability for full backs and towards the end he was at fault for a few goals.
    We need other positions filled before looking at a new left back but I wouldn't mind seeing us sign one. Lack of competition was apparently bit of the reason for Riise's demise.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I don't read the papers and I still think Enrique was pretty poor towards the end last year. Before that he was hyped up by out support thanks to him settling in quickly and performing at a decent level compared to the other summer signings. He is a good left back but is not top class or even one of the best in the league. He is terrible with the ball going forward and that is a much needed ability for full backs and towards the end he was at fault for a few goals.
    We need other positions filled before looking at a new left back but I wouldn't mind seeing us sign one. Lack of competition was apparently bit of the reason for Riise's demise.

When we signed him last year he was the best in the league in a lot of peoples eyes. I would still have him ahead of Evra and Clichy. The only one i would prefer is Ashley Cole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

What do you mean you don't read the papers? What's wrong with the papers?

When we signed him last year he was the best in the league in a lot of peoples eyes. I would still have him ahead of Evra and Clichy. The only one i would prefer is Ashley Cole

Needs to improve going forward though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Enrique doesn't have any competition. He has back up and that's fine (personally I wouldn't have Agger anywhere near the LB position) but without back up Enrique will get too comfortable in his position. We've seen it happen with Riise.

Besides that, Enrique is pants when he gets past the halfway line. His crossing and decision making leave a lot to be desired.

Would love if would could get Insua back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Vanolder wrote: »

Someone mention the papers....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

WE NEED A LB

I'd say that has more to do with him playing 40 matches last season and it taking its toll on him (he had never played that many in a single season before)

Vanolder wrote: »

Nothing at all, I just don't read the papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Since we are talking Enrique, would be interesting in seeing how he performed alongside Agger versus when Agger was out injured. We had a steady back 4 for quite a spell until then. I think you'll find his drop in performance may coincide with that change.

He's still one of the best 1 on 1 full backs in the league. Very few wingers get joy trying to get past him. I can live with his slight lack of a final product since he is a defender first and foremost. Of all the positions I think we need to focus on, both wings and up front are way ahead of LB...

Dickerty wrote: »
    Since we are talking Enrique, would be interesting in seeing how he performed alongside Agger versus when Agger was out injured. We had a steady back 4 for quite a spell until then. I think you'll find his drop in performance may coincide with that change.

He's still one of the best 1 on 1 full backs in the league. Very few wingers get joy trying to get past him. I can live with his slight lack of a final product since he is a defender first and foremost. Of all the positions I think we need to focus on, both wings and up front are way ahead of LB...

So Skrtel is only good with Agger beside him and now Enrique as well. Well I for one would prefer a LB and CB that perform well regardless of whether our injury prone Dane is playing or not.
    If Johnson can perform at a consistent level with or without Agger, is it not too much to ask that the others can?

Btw is there anything to Skrtel to City talk?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet how we play Stoke away at the Britannia yet on a cold Wednesday in December. On the 26th!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet how we play Stoke away at the Britannia yet on a cold Wednesday in December. On the 26th!

As long as Doni plays on the wing, we will be fine. As we will be battling an overused joke with an overused joke and they will cancel each other out.

So Skrtel is only good with Agger beside him and now Enrique as well. Well I for one would prefer a LB and CB that perform well regardless of whether our injury prone Dane is playing or not.
    If Johnson can perform at a consistent level with or without Agger, is it not too much to ask that the others can?

It's a pretty complete change Skrtel had to swap sides to accomodate Carra, so now instead of having a sweeper type beside him, he has a hard-man in Martin. So he needs to change how he defends as well.

It's not everything, but at this level, it can't be ignored...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Btw is there anything to Skrtel to City talk?

All we know is @duncanjenkinsFC has said that the interest from City is real with enquiries having been made but he has no idea if Skrtel himself wants or would be prepared to move.

He tweeted this today.
    duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC
    #lfc fans should ignore all reports of "other teams" going for #sigurdson, he will sign for #lfc as i said 2 weeks ago

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭kingshankly

The chap hasn't a clue he is strong and fast that is it. Makes terrible decisions try's to play out of defence when it should be in row z. Terrible on the ball one of the worst crossers of a ball I have seen. Head down and runs if ya opened the gate he'd run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

WE NEED A LB

Yeah, potential that deserves a chance in 15+ games this season. I see two dedicated left backs there, one that can do the job and one that has shown flashes of real promise.

Loads of needs elsewhere. **** off wasting limited resources on a position we are set in for the moment.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Benedikt Howedes?

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is reportedly interested in German international defender Benedikt Howedes and is readying an offer for the adaptable 24 year old as the Anfield manager looks to strengthen his squad.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/06/17/liverpool-set-sights-german-international-benedikt-howedes/

'reportedly', have to laugh.

If Skrtel goes, himself and Mbiwa at Montpelier would be more than ideal replacements. For me anyway, Howedes should be starting for Germany alongside Hummels.

Re: Sigurdsson
    Hoffenheim have confirmed that Gylfi Sigurdsson has been granted a "prolonged holiday" until June 30 to secure move to Premier League (#LFC)

Markus Babbel (Hoffenheim head coach): "Gylfi want to stay in England and is in negotiations there.

Babbel: "Thus, it makes no sense for both sides, for him to return to Hoffenheim, perhaps only for a few days.”

Babbel: “If, by 30 June, he has done nothing, then he is here and will return to his pre-season with us. We have agreed this with him."

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

InsideLFC ‏@InsideLFC
    LFC due to meet representatives of Salomon Rondon date tbc atm.Trying to find out more. Fee still to be agreed also but will be region of 9m

Anyone know this guy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Hi Guys

Just made up a quick fixture wallpaper. I'll make something better later :)

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3788/lfcfixtures20122013.jpg

lfcfixtures20122013.jpg

Anyone know this guy?

He's a good young striker but he's not an out and out goalscorer which we need. Impressed me very much so in the Copa America last year I'll give him that, all round game looked good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Anyone know this guy?

AvriW_5CEAEdIW0.jpg

Top class play well all season long IMO.

I'd say that has more to do with him playing 40 matches last season and it taking its toll on him (he had never played that many in a single season before)

40 matches is an average seaon. This is no excuse what so ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Enrique's main problem seems to be one of decision making and possibly ego.

He's technically very good, is strong as an ox and he's fast as well.

Hopefully he puts in a bit of work on his crossing and gets a kick up the arse to make him get rid of the ball a bit quicker and not always try to out-muscle people for the sake of it.

He has all the physical and technical attributes to be among the best LBs in the world.
    With that in mind, I don't really think that there's room in the squad or the wage budget for another LB of the calibre to start 30+ games in a season.

-Ade- wrote: »
    He's a good young striker but he's not an out and out goalscorer which we need. Impressed me very much so in the Copa America last year I'll give him that, all round game looked good.

A goal every 3 games for Venezuela, and every 2.5 games for Malaga last 2 seasons. Not hugely prolific. Both Chelsea and Arsenal are already linked with him, so perhaps his agent is parked up somewhere with a list of clubs to meet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Hello from Poznan fückers :D

Just seen the fixtures .... It's ours !

Any other news ?

Leiva wrote: »

Any other news ?

Yep, we are signing Messi, Pique and Ribery.

Jordan Messi from Dagenham, Pique O'Toole from Monaghan, and Angelo Ribery from FC Acatacatacata in Guatemala...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Leiva wrote: »

Any other news ?

You are in Poznan and logged on to Boards?

Get to the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

amiable wrote: »

Get to the pub

They have the internet on phones these days ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

amiable wrote: »

Get to the pub
    Hoki wrote: »
    They have the internet on phones these days ;)

Indeed, in fact I'm confident he was just checking in while sittin' on the jax...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Indeed, in fact I'm confident he was just checking in while sittin' on the jax...

The thought that somebody's posting on here while having a Barry disturbs me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The thought that somebody's posting on here while having a Barry disturbs me.

Gareth?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Bio: Long time fan, short term lurker (a year or two) first time poster :pac:

I'm going to Anfield for the first time later this week for a tour. Never been to Liverpool before at all. We'll be there for the 10:30 tour and have seen that it's walking distance from Lime St. station. Just looking for advice from others who know Liverpool if this would be a reasonable walk? Bear in mind that we'll be just off the plane with backpacks walking with wide eyes and open mouths and probably looking like tourists. :)
    http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Lime+Street,+Liverpool,+United+Kingdom&daddr=Anfield+Road,+Liverpool,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=53.418638,-2.971029&spn=0.031152,0.077162&sll=53.420633,-2.963047&sspn=0.03115,0.077162&geocode=Fe7tLgMd74jS_ykJphuzJCF7SDEyvmWyQ70ZbQ%3BFYxHLwMd1szS_yH_cxniV2pXhA&oq=anf&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&t=m&z=14

I've no problem getting a taxi or something up, but seeing as it's so short and if the weather is OK, I'd like to walk to see a bit more. I'm in total ignorance though I don't want to end up walking through some 'less desirable' areas.

Any advice welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

I'm going to Anfield for the first time later this week for a tour. Never been to Liverpool before at all. We'll be there for the 10:30 tour and have seen that it's walking distance from Lime St. station. Just looking for advice from others who know Liverpool if this would be a reasonable walk? Bear in mind that we'll be just off the plane with backpacks walking with wide eyes and open mouths and probably looking like tourists. :)
    http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Lime+Street,+Liverpool,+United+Kingdom&daddr=Anfield+Road,+Liverpool,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=53.418638,-2.971029&spn=0.031152,0.077162&sll=53.420633,-2.963047&sspn=0.03115,0.077162&geocode=Fe7tLgMd74jS_ykJphuzJCF7SDEyvmWyQ70ZbQ%3BFYxHLwMd1szS_yH_cxniV2pXhA&oq=anf&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&t=m&z=14

I've no problem getting a taxi or something up, but seeing as it's so short and if the weather is OK, I'd like to walk to see a bit more. I'm in total ignorance though I don't want to end up walking through some 'less desirable' areas.

Any advice welcomed.

Yeah, that looks grand if you don't mind the length

Any advice welcomed.

That route is about a 30-40 min walk, depending on how quick you walk etc.

Take the 3rd suggested route if you want to stick to main routes,only 0.2 mile longer. Although, I've never seen any hassle walking any of those 3 routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Any advice welcomed.

The 1st route you mapped out is grand and a decent one for a first timer. I would go a slightly different way myself, but your way keeps you on a pretty sound route. If you are staying overnight it would probably be best to leave your backpacks wherever you are staying, rather than hauling them the whole way and back.

Hope you have a great trip, and welcome to the footy forum. :D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I've never walked to the ground from the city, but I almost always walk back in after matches and it's all downhill nearly, so therefore a lot of uphill (albeit it gentle enough) on the way out so I wouldn't fancy it with a backpack. Just in case you aren't sure what to expect either, it's not exactly an upmarket area.

Kess73 wrote: »
    The 1st route you mapped out is grand and a decent one for a first timer. I would go a slightly different way myself, but your way keeps you on a pretty sound route. If you are staying overnight it would probably be best to leave your backpacks wherever you are staying, rather than hauling them the whole way and back.

Hope you have a great trip, and welcome to the footy forum. :D

We're actually staying in Manchester - Pearl Jam gig - so will be lugging backpacks all day. That said, they'll just contain a camera, black t-shirt and checked shirt so shouldn't be too bad.

I plan on photographing every square inch of Anfield, but any suggestions of important bits or hidden gems that I should particularly look out for?

5starpool wrote: »
    I've never walked to the ground from the city, but I almost always walk back in after matches and it's all downhill nearly, so therefore a lot of uphill (albeit it gentle enough) on the way out so I wouldn't fancy it with a backpack. Just in case you aren't sure what to expect either, it's not exactly an upmarket area.

I don't mind it not being upmarket, but if Google Maps has suggested 2 miles of Sheriff St., I wouldn't be too keen on it with my wife...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't mind it not being upmarket, but if Google Maps has suggested 2 miles of Sheriff St., I wouldn't be too keen on it with my wife...

It's not Sheriff St, but there are lots of boarded up houses in the area close to the stadium unfortunately. You'll be grand though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Just on the backpacks, they have on the website that they dont allow you bring them into the stadium, couldnt tell you how strict they are as we didnt take a chance when we read this. Theres a bag minding place in lime st station that will keep them for the avo for a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We're actually staying in Manchester - Pearl Jam gig - so will be lugging backpacks all day. That said, they'll just contain a camera, black t-shirt and checked shirt so shouldn't be too bad.

I plan on photographing every square inch of Anfield, but any suggestions of important bits or hidden gems that I should particularly look out for?

Well? Don't leave us in suspense man! What colour is the shirt? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement