Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator- paint chipping off - what to do?

Options
  • 24-11-2014 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

My ten-year old bathroom radiator is suffering from the heat and humidity; and as the pic attached shows paint at the edge is coming off due to rust patches. Anybody tell me what type of paint to use to clean this up and do I need to put some kind of rust preventive paint on beforehand? Thanks

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I'd be more concerned about the bottom rotting out of that radiator, than the cosmetic issue. If it's a small bathroom radiator, they aren't that expensive to replace...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

hansov wrote: »
    My ten-year old bathroom radiator is suffering from the heat and humidity; and as the pic attached shows paint at the edge is coming off due to rust patches. Anybody tell me what type of paint to use to clean this up and do I need to put some kind of rust preventive paint on beforehand? Thanks
    I'd be with Mike on this. Probably 40€ for a replacement and handy enough to swap out. Failing that, i'd grab a small tin of white hammerite and a 750ml of oil-based satinwood white. Hammerite for the rusted section, and the satinwood for a complete re-coat. It'll look a lot better than it does now.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭hansov

Thanks lads - I think that it looks worse in the photo than it really is. I'll go the Hammerite/satinwood route for the moment and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

If it was me, I'd buy specific radiator paint for the top coat - every other white paint I've tried on radiators tends to yellow over time..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

OP, you have a leak in that rad and that's what's causing the paint to chip.
    You can't just paint over it; sort the leak out first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭hansov

Thanks for that fussyonion - it looks as if its the moisture from the bathroom, rather than a leak in the rad, that's causing this. I'll see for definite at the weekend when I get the sandpaper to it. Here's hoping that this is the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

The Paint and Brushes will cost half the price of a replacement Rad. Better to replace it now than having to do it anyway in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

I've had the same problem but not to such an extent.

I sand it down and use a radiator spray paint (buy it in spray cans in Woodies/Amazon)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammerite-400ml-Radiator-Enamel-Aerosol/dp/B001GU8C3K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416987684&sr=8-1&keywords=radiator+spray+paint+white

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

sky6 wrote: »
    The Paint and Brushes will cost half the price of a replacement Rad. Better to replace it now than having to do it anyway in a couple of years.

You have to drain down the system first right? Couple of hours for a plumber I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    You have to grain down the system first right? Couple of hours for a plumber I guess.
    Just close the valves at each end of the radiator, before removing it. I've done this several times when stripping wallpaper and painting behind radiators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

Thats the best way just shut off the valves and change 10 min work

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Why not replace the rad with a towel rail which won't rust in the future and will serve the same purpose...

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

There called towel warmer because thats what they do not really the same thing

Advertisement