Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway - phone screen repairs?

Options
  • 18-08-2014 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

I am trying to find info on a phone screen repair shop in Galway. It used to be above Butler's/Body shop on Shop St on the 2nd floor.

If anyone has their number, website or email, please send?

I posted in another thread a year ago and got no replies... :( I found the shop, but have cracked screen again and again can't find the bloody info on this place. ...btw, they did a good job replacing the screen last time and it was way cheaper than electronic parter on Eglinton St.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

found a number for them, which doesn't work and came across a sales listing for that building, so I guess they must've shut down.

Any other repair shop someone could recommend please?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What phone is it?

Galaxy S3 mini. I got best quote off a crowd on Newcastle Road - PhoneDoc, also was quoted by Electric Partner which was much better price than last last year and another place I'd called today.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

www.techstar.ie down the docks might be able to help.

biko wrote: »
    www.techstar.ie down the docks might be able to help.

Thanks, I did call them, unfortunately they were by far the most expensive quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can give it a go DIY, it's the cheapest option.
    Search youtube for instructions

Gatica wrote: »
    Galaxy S3 mini. I got best quote off a crowd on Newcastle Road - PhoneDoc, also was quoted by Electric Partner which was much better price than last last year and another place I'd called today.

To report back on these, I'd recommend neither:
    1. PhoneDoc near the hospital. They were the cheapest, but that was for a reason. The replacement glass wasn't the right colour, there were bits of glue hanging off it and the menu button became recessed.:( I asked them about this saying I don't mind paying the difference for the manufacturer's screen, but they brushed me off with "that's the right screen". Crap cheap job, so definitely don't go there unless you're desperate and don't care about the quality of the job.
    2. Electric Partner on Eglinton St. These were next cheapest. Not very professional crowd at all. They did do a good job, it was the right glass and it looked clean and professional. The downside is that it took almost 2 months and they almost lost the phone!!! They don't tell you how long it could take up front. They took a deposit, which was not refundable even though they were clearly taking aaages to fix it. I took the phone back while they received the replacement screen, then dropped it back when they said the screen was due to arrive (the guy at the desk said it would be ready the next day, and I just confirmed that it would be ok if I picked it up same day next week), that evening I got a text to say my screen was there and to drop in the phone. I was puzzled and called them next day to make sure they did in fact have the phone, I was on hold for ages and then was asked did I really drop in the phone, and if I did then they must have it. I was still a bit uneasy. End of the week, getting ready to drive in to pick it up, I called and was again asked did I really drop in the phone. I asked straight out did they lose it. :mad: He said if they took it off me then they must have it, he'll find it and will be ready for me to pick up the next day (so much for having it done in a whole week!). With my heart in my throat I went to collect it the next day. He went through the boxes at the counter, didn't find it. I clarified that the previous day they weren't sure where the phone was but that they would have it ready. Thankfully after another couple of minutes of rooting in the office, he found it. The tag sticker they put on the phone left disgusting sticker gunk on the phone, which I asked him to clean up. The guy there in fairness to him did clean it up for me. In spite of the decent job, the worry and time it took really wasn't worth the money at all. Btw, this wasn't a once off. We had to get a screen replaced on a tablet at work, they took a deposit to order the replacement glass, which also took 6 weeks to arrive (well, I suppose it was about 1 week less than for the phone). The excuse was that customs was holding their screen orders. I don't know if I just have really bad luck, but it seems like much of a coincidence that both orders took weeks to arrive.
    I had the screen replaced before by a store above above Butler's/Body shop and the Joke Shop on Shop St, they took the order for the screen without deposit, they had the screen in in 1 week, and it took only about 2 hours to replace the screen on the same day, and cost only a bit more than EP a couple of years ago. By now prices may have come down too, though haven't checked. They seemed to be closed when I looked a few months ago, but I noticed another store in place there recently, though not sure if it's the same guys. I don't understand why other shops can't be professional!! :confused:

Advertisement