Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Fusion grinding noise

Options
  • 13-04-2013 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a 03 Ford Fusion (Fiesta with a hat basically), I replaced the passenger side hub bearing about a month ago as I was getting a grinding noise on that side. Local garage reckoned it was the hub bearing but didn't have the money (they were quoting €300) at the time so did it myself.

All went grand with that, but in the last week or two I've been getting some noise from the driver side, but only intermittently and only when turning left.

The obvious answer is the bearing on that side is gone too, however I jacked it up today and couldn't feel any play in the bearing by rocking the wheel.

I have the bearing already and am happy enough to change it, but don't want to spend the time and effort if it's not the issue.

Anyone have any tips on other things I should check first?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

kdouglas wrote: »

The obvious answer is the bearing on that side is gone too, however I jacked it up today and couldn't feel any play in the bearing by rocking the wheel.
    Have you tried jacking it and spinning the wheel?
    If you spin it you should be able to hear the rumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Wasn't particularly listening for a rumble, but I did spin the wheel while it was jacked and don't remember hearing anything other than the usual wheel spinning noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Is the brake pad worn..? Sometimes these make a horrid scraping / grinding noise when the pad reaches its wear limit. The fact this happens when turning should make it number 1 suspect for elimination..

Definitely not worn, I replaced both sets of brake pads when doing the first hub bearing. The rotors are a little worn, was thinking of replacing them, but they seem to be ok for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Definitely not worn, I replaced both sets of brake pads when doing the first hub bearing. The rotors are a little worn, was thinking of replacing them, but they seem to be ok for now.

Rotors? Do you mean CV joints?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Rotors - American dialect for Brake Disks.

As you've the hub part - change it. Not unusual for both to fail at the same ish time.

Sorry, been reading too many americanised how to sites :)

Yea, I meant the brake discs. Will probably just go ahead and change the bearing tomorrow, will see if it stops grinding after that.

Sorry, been reading too many americanised how to sites :)

Yea, I meant the brake discs. Will probably just go ahead and change the bearing tomorrow, will see if it stops grinding after that.

Just to follow up, I got this sorted fairly shortly after my last reply.

Sometimes the simplest answer is correct... It was the other bearing, had to replace the hub too as it was worn.

Thanks for the help guys.

Advertisement