Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell 17 vs Dell 17R

Options
  • 15-04-2014 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Hi!

I am about to buy a new laptop but I am uncertain between these two (I would like to stick with Dell as I never had problems in the past and also have a discount on their products). Apart from the touch screen that I don't really care about, is there any other substantial difference between these two? I have no problem spending extra 200€ for the 17R if worth it, but I don't fully understand the specs. Also I see the 17 has anti-glare screen, will I be able to work outside with it or I am asking too much? :)

Thank you in advance.

24e3wab.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

The Hybrid hard drive should perform better in theory with the 8GB cache.

Here is a link to a graphics card comparison

The Inspiron 17 has four USB 3.0 ports. The 17R has two 2.0 and two 3.0
    The Inspiron 17 is about 10+% heavier.

Having the touch screen for Windows 8 can be very handy.
    Personally the 17 looks nicer.

Take a look a look at reviews on the track pads! They are very hit an miss on Dells. The 17 doesn't have dedicated trackpad buttons, whereas the 17R does have them. I *really* am not a fan of any trackpad without dedicated buttons. I find them infuriating to use and so do most of our staff.

Is it worth the 200 EUR extra? Probably.

I cannot state enough how infuriating it is to use the "all in one" type trackpads. Can you get yourself to a PCworld / Harvey Norman type store and give them a test yourself? Most of the manufacturers have a model with buttons and without. I understand the trackpads may not be the exact same model as the Dell, but it will give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Thank you ProjectMoose!

Track pad is not really an issue, I use the mouse anyway. Also weight isn't an issue either.

Thanks for the link for the graphic cards comparisons, that is very useful. I would have thought the NVIDIA was better, but this does not seem to be the case.

On the other side performance is also important to me, and therefore I would lean towards the 17 with 8GB cache hard drive if this really helps performance.

Yes, the Hard Disk in theory should have better performance. It's probably a Seagate hybrid, but perhaps you should google a review of whatever hard disk it is.

Also just check how easy it is for you to replace the battery and hard disk on both models. If you ever plan to change these yourself in the future, it can be a bit tricky to get at them on the newer models.

Advertisement