Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hp530 getting old?

Options
  • 07-03-2014 1:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭

Hello I have an oldish hp530 laptop about 5 or 6 years. It started running slower and slower to finally being unusable. I blamed it on the fact I installed reaper(a music program) thinking I filled up the memory.
    I reinstalled to factory settings but its still slow as hell.
    Do computers just get old?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

How much ram has it got,maybe the hd is on the way out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Yeah theres a fair bit of space on it since the reset would the hd be worth replaceing its probably not worth the while with it being so cheap just to buy a new one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

jane82 wrote: »
    Yeah theres a fair bit of space on it since the reset would the hd be worth replaceing its probably not worth the while with it being so cheap just to buy a new one.
    Probaly worth replacing 40 to 45 euro gets you a new drive.Providing it is the problem.If you right click on the my computer icon (or start-computer)-properties look on the open window for the ammount of ram the system has.

Hard drives http://www.dabs.ie/category/components-and-storage,hard-drives,internal-hard-drives/11154-41580000

Thanks for that Ill try it when I have the time to turn it on and wait two weeks for start menu to pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Start it in Safe Mode, by pressing F8 during the boot process, this won't load all drivers and autostart programs. Should be quick enough to use.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

check for malware too

hdtune will report if the hdd has SMART errors

It was a registry problem or something. With all the updates after the reset some stuff wasnt working right.
    Its fairly good now.

Advertisement