Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA - declined can i still get BTEA

Options
  • 09-03-2011 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

My JSB is running out - just got form in post to apply for JSA. I don't think I am going to be entitled to it as my partner just got his job back there so his wages will be taken into account. He earns 32,000 per annum. I have been applying to colleges and have been excepted to start in Sept 2011. I was hoping I would have BTEA to help me in college. If I am declined JSA can I still apply for BTEA?Or is that it, I am no longer entitled to it. I've searched everywhere online but can't find an answer...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 scoobisnacks

Do you have any children? If so you might still be entitled to JSA.

To find out your means you need to take away PRSI from his salary and possibly USC (they have not decided on that yet - I phoned Citizens Information regarding my own situation) and then divide by 52, minus 60 euro and then get 60% of the remaining. This is a helpful site: www.taxcalc.eu

This total is then taken away from your maximum allowance as a couple plus child dependant if you have children (i.e. 188 + 124 = 312). If there is any left over this is your JSA.

I've done a rough calculation for you and if they take away the USC you may still be eligible to a very minimal amount (13 euro or something). If not then you are just off not being eligible (if his salary were 30500 then you would be...)

Even if you are entitled to just 10 euro JSA as BTEA you would be entitled to the full amount in September (188) provided you continue to satisfy JSA criteria up till then (available and seeking work etc..)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

If you are not in receipt of a qualifying social welfare payment immediately prior to commencing the course, you will not receive the allowance. You can still however take part in the scheme if you have been signing for credits, and will still receive the 500 Euro book grant at the start of the year.

Remember too that you may be able to requalify for JB if you have had 13 weeks employment since exhausting 156 days of your claim. If you enter on a credits only basis and subsequently become eligible because of the new GCY (or requalify) for JB, then you will receive the weekly allowance from the date that you are entitled to receive the Benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

We have no children. I am thinking if I moved to my parents house I would actually be entitled to JSA, it just seems so unfair. We don't own the house together - it's his house. I was so looking forward to going back to college - can't believe I didn't see this coming at all. It was only to be for a year to top up my diploma to a degree.

Lugh Ildanach - I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say I could be entitled to JSB if I am working 13 weeks after 156 days?

Each day you receive Jobseekers Benefit, you exhaust one day of your entitlement. If you have the full entitlement to Benefit, you have 312 days (which is one year minus Sundays which don't count).

If you have exhausted 156 days of your benefit, and then do some part-time work, or indeed full time work which subsequently ends, and as a result get 13 paid PRSI contributions, you can requalify for Jobseekers Benefit once your entitlement ends, provided you meet the contributions criteria and other conditions of the payment.

It is a little complicated. If you want more details, have a read of this http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/jb_jobseekben.aspx or perhaps give the Irish National Organisation of the Unemployed a call, they have an information line 01 856 0088 or at www.inou.ie

Just thought - my partner has just got his job back after 7 months on dole. So his per annum wage for both this and last year would not be 32,000. Would this be taken into account when deciding if I am entitled to JSA?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

It's his current rate of pay that is calculated as means. You will have to supply his latest payslip and will be calculated from that.

Ok - sorry for all the questions but what if my boyfriend lost his job again? Would I be entitled to it then? Which is prob gonna happen as whenever the business have no work on they put him on temp leave and he has to draw jobseekers benefit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Even if you are means in excess on Jobseeker's Allowance due to his earnings, you should still sign for credits. Then if his work stops, you have an open claim and can get your means reviewed.

ok great - thanks cee jay

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

even with your partner earning 32,000, you mightnt necessarily have means in excess. it is calculated by taking his gross wage, then deducting PRSI, union subs, and superannuation. it is certainly worth applying for. you might not get much but any payment would help you get the back to education

• Advertisement

I think I'm gonna just move back into my parents. I used the calculator and I would not get JSA if I am living with him. It seems drastic but I've no choice really... Is that legal? God, I don't want to commit fraud so if that is illegal obviously I am not going to do it.

There's nothing illegal about moving back to your parent's house, although if you were cohabiting previously, Social Welfare may be suspicious and investigate whether you really are.

If you are under 25 and living at your parents then your parent's income will be taken into account when assessing your JA claim.

If you find that you are eligible for payment on BTEA, and move onto that payment, then your boyfriend's means would not be taken into account, as it is not a means tested payment itself. BTEA is not payable during the summer break though, so you would be reassessed for JA at that stage.

Even if you are only signing for credits and are eligible for BTEA Scheme (with no payment) then you still get the 500 Euro grant, so it would be worth doing this even if you're not eligible for a BTEA weekly payment.

Ugh - I have a headache! Think I will just apply for regular college maintenance grant - much less legalities to deal with! Much less money too though :(

Advertisement