Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should I do ty or 5th year or move schools?

Options
  • 09-05-2014 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi I'm in third year now and was wondering should I do ty or not. If I don't I will be in the same year as my sister who is currently in transition year. I also was wondering should Iu move schools because I don't really like the school I'm in now and it doesn't have chemistry which could restrict me from doing medicine. Is it possible to study chemistry at home?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Every school does different things for TY. So I can't really answer your question. Just ask your teachers and people who are currently in TY.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 letitgo

It really depends. I wanted to skip 4th yeaar and go straight to 5th year, but I decided that I wanted to take a break so I did 4th year. Some schools have better programs than others. In mine, we didn't do much activities yet I still enjoyed it. By doing 4th year it helped me to get to know myself better and think more about my career. You wouldn't want to be doing 5th year and not really having a career in mind cause subject choices is key for the course that you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

Our school did absolutely nothing for TY! hated it so much to be honest! But i am only 15 now so i probably would have been young enough to go on to 5th.. But yeah it was a complete waste of a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Oisin4

Our school went skiing this year so I'm hoping we can do the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Find out what the TY program is like in your school (from your post I'm assuming your sister's in TY?) and see if it's worth doing. If not, then go to 5th year. It really doesn't matter if your sister is in your year? What difference will that really make to you?

If you don't like your school however, it's a different story. You have to see if it's feasible for you to move schools. Is there another school that you wish to attend? Can they offer you what you're not currently receiving from your current school? Will it be difficult for you to settle into your new school? You really need to take a lot of things into consideration before just moving schools.

Also if your dead set on doing medicine, and your school doesn't offer chemistry, I'm sure they'd try to make arrangements for you to study it alone or something? There's also most likely a science teacher in your school with a qualification in chemistry that may be able to help! Did you mention this to your year head/principal?

• Advertisement
Advertisement