Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Somewhere to leave your bag in Trinity?

• 20-09-2014 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭

Okay so i don't have a locker, and i don't think my bag would fit in one anyway. I have labs on a friday from 2-5 and plan on going home to waterford afterwards.. The last train is 6:35 so i wouldn't have time to go back to halls and get my bag then back to heuston to get the train.. Is there anywhere in trinity i could leave or put a bag? i know theres some kind of bag drop place that costs a fiver but is there anywhere else i could put it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭yeahscience

I think I saw a luggage-area in the Hamilton the other day. I'm a JF too, so I'm not sure what service this area actually provides. I'd be interested in learning more too. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I'd recommend just getting a locker, I didn't have one in first year and it made things way more awkward than they needed to be. Having to bring in lab coat, googles, dissection kit, lab manual (especially if its the big biology binder) every week is a pain and if you're going home straight after you'll have to lug that stuff up and down on the train every week as well.

A suitcase might not fit in one, but at least you can throw all your valuables in there and put the suitcase on top of the lockers, its unlikely anyone will bother stealing a bag of clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭LauraaWhelann

Do you know if they've started giving out the lockers yet? Our s2s mentors told us not to bother with lockers at all so I didn't :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Lockers are given out Monday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Do you know if they've started giving out the lockers yet? Our s2s mentors told us not to bother with lockers at all so I didn't :(

If your an arts student eg BESS there is no point getting one. You dont really need to bring in books as there is always a few in the library. Most info is on slides and most days you will only need to bring in an A4 pad and laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

hfallada wrote: »
    If your an arts student eg BESS there is no point getting one. You dont really need to bring in books as there is always a few in the library. Most info is on slides and most days you will only need to bring in an A4 pad and laptop.

That depends. I did an arts course and having a locker was definitely useful. I could stash my coat & lunch in there at the start of each day and not have to carry them around; on the days when I went to the gym/swimming, I could leave my stuff in there and not have to carry an extra bag around all day. And as a person who didn't use their laptop very much for note-taking in lectures and seminars, I was able to leave various notebooks and files and not take them home with me, not to mention any books I had on loan from the library but which I didn't need that day/weekend. So do consider getting one even if you're an arts student, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 knjmooney

Going into my final year, having a locker made college life much easier

Had a locker each year before I got rooms. Found it very useful for leaving stuff in before nights out or even just so I didn't have to lug notes/laptops around town when getting food.

Does anyone have any idea what time we should be there at to get a locker? And how much does it cost to get one? Thanks!

Think its €40 for a year. €20 for the rental and €20 deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Does anyone have any idea what time we should be there at to get a locker? And how much does it cost to get one? Thanks!

The time depends on where you want one. If you're ok with East End or the Lloyd then you can turn up mid-morning (or sometimes the next day). If you want the Hamilton (outside the main labs) or the better floors of the Arts Block, then get there as early as possible. I've passed the queue at 8am some years and it's been ok, at 9am it's way too long to guarantee a popular locker. But people sometimes turn up at half 7, so all depends on how badly you want one.

It (for the past few years anyway) is 40 euro total (20 rent, 20 deposit). You get the deposit back if you return the key at the end of the academic year and choose not to take the locker again. You lose the deposit if you fail to return the key at the end of the year. If you want to keep the same locker, you go to the office towards the end of the academic year (an email is sent out) and pay 20 euro rent for the following year and your deposit carries forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

Isn't there a free of charge cloakroom in the Arts Block? I was going to get a locker but thinking it's probably not worth it if I can use that for dropping in bags containing books/gym gear etc during the day? I'd say they'd let you leave your bag there anyway OP!

Isn't there a free of charge cloakroom in the Arts Block?!

Pretty sure you pay for it.

Edited to add its free for the day. But charged overnight.

bscm wrote: »
    The time depends on where you want one. If you're ok with East End or the Lloyd then you can turn up mid-morning (or sometimes the next day). If you want the Hamilton (outside the main labs) or the better floors of the Arts Block, then get there as early as possible. I've passed the queue at 8am some years and it's been ok, at 9am it's way too long to guarantee a popular locker. But people sometimes turn up at half 7, so all depends on how badly you want one.

It (for the past few years anyway) is 40 euro total (20 rent, 20 deposit). You get the deposit back if you return the key at the end of the academic year and choose not to take the locker again. You lose the deposit if you fail to return the key at the end of the year. If you want to keep the same locker, you go to the office towards the end of the academic year (an email is sent out) and pay 20 euro rent for the following year and your deposit carries forward.

Thanks for much for that. Your post was really informative. Just wondering which building East End is in? Is it part of the Hamilton? Sorry for the confusion, I'm genuinely not sure. I'll be in the Hamilton most of the time but Lloyd would be fine for me if one has to be there that early to get a locker in the Hamilton. Can I apply for it even though I'll be in the Hamilton most of the time? Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Thanks for much for that. Your post was really informative. Just wondering which building East End is in? Is it part of the Hamilton? Sorry for the confusion, I'm genuinely not sure. I'll be in the Hamilton most of the time but Lloyd would be fine for me if one has to be there that early to get a locker in the Hamilton. Can I apply for it even though I'll be in the Hamilton most of the time? Thanks again!

East End is the basement of the Hamilton (go down the stairs opposite Lavazza, "East End" is the corridor you're standing in). Although, now they're trying to separate the old Hammo into the Hamilton building, Watts building (Academic Registry) etc etc... even though it's all one building.

You can apply for whichever location you want. They don't check courses or anything, so science students can apply for the Arts Block and vice versa.

bscm wrote: »
    East End is the basement of the Hamilton (go down the stairs opposite Lavazza, "East End" is the corridor you're standing in). Although, now they're trying to separate the old Hammo into the Hamilton building, Watts building (Academic Registry) etc etc... even though it's all one building.

You can apply for whichever location you want. They don't check courses or anything, so science students can apply for the Arts Block and vice versa.

Thanks a million. That's a huge help to know exactly what I'm applying for!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭6thyearlife

would I have any chance of an arts block if I was there by 10.30 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Thanks for much for that. Your post was really informative. Just wondering which building East End is in? Is it part of the Hamilton? Sorry for the confusion, I'm genuinely not sure.
    Yeah its just the basement of the Hamilton, the stairs across from the science course office bring you down. There's honestly not much difference in getting a locker in the east end or Hamilton, they're about two minutes walk between them. Hamiltons a bit handier for the library and Goldsmith, but that's about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

would I have any chance of an arts block if I was there by 10.30 ?

Maybe, though it would likely be on the fifth floor or some other out-of-the-way place, so as long as you'd be ok with that it's worth a shot!

Advertisement