Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Law Lecturers

• 17-09-2014 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

Hi. A friend of mine is starting Law & Business. I've just finished my LLB, so I told him I would draw up a little information pack to help him along the way. I want to include some information on the lecturers, i.e. their style of lecturing, how hard they mark essays, what is actually required in terms of reading, etc. Pretty basic stuff in fairness, but I'm sure we would have all benefited from prior warning of Eoin O'Dell!

Anyway, can you tell me which lecturers teach Tort, ILS, Contract, Land, Constitutional and Criminal? I assume most of them are the same as they were three years ago, but I just want to just double check.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭notabasicb

Go to Law School website - and click book of modules for 2014 - 2015 and you'll get who is teaching the subjects. If required your local access sign in will still work - you won't be off the system just yet.

Nice of you to draw up some info for your friend. Not so great slating specific lecturers in your post especially considering they probably have a google alert for their name! Put that degree into practice!

Anyway from what I have experienced from studying for the LLB is that the Law School actually has a pretty consistent grading policy across the board. I can only think of one extreme marker who has since left the school and it was extreme in that they were so generous.

In the student handbook your friend will have gotten there is a breakdown as to what each grade bracket requires from a student. I have found that if you fulfill those bullet points you will get exactly the grade it equates to. That break down gets pretty lost in the mass of info thrown at you in freshers week but it is so handy.

I'd tell your mate once they are ready to get going/liver can't take anymore freshers alcohol print off all exam papers for the last number of years for each subject. Start as you mean to continue. Get used to the questions and then when topics are taught in class don't just make reams of notes make essay plans.

Law school papers always resemble past ones - there are only so many Qs that can be asked. No point trying to condense loads of notes into coherent mind maps in the 3 revision weeks when you can have it done before you even leave for Christmas.

Articles are really important if you want a decent grade. It's all about the analysis. Know the framework of an area - key cases - and then major emphasis on critiquing it or critiquing commentators view on the area.

I think most of the lecturers have changed for the subjects you mentioned. But you'll have come across whoever is taking them elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

notabasicb wrote: »
    Go to Law School website - and click book of modules for 2014 - 2015 and you'll get who is teaching the subjects. If required your local access sign in will still work - you won't be off the system just yet.

Nice of you to draw up some info for your friend. Not so great slating specific lecturers in your post especially considering they probably have a google alert for their name! Put that degree into practice!

Anyway from what I have experienced from studying for the LLB is that the Law School actually has a pretty consistent grading policy across the board. I can only think of one extreme marker who has since left the school and it was extreme in that they were so generous.

In the student handbook your friend will have gotten there is a breakdown as to what each grade bracket requires from a student. I have found that if you fulfill those bullet points you will get exactly the grade it equates to. That break down gets pretty lost in the mass of info thrown at you in freshers week but it is so handy.

I'd tell your mate once they are ready to get going/liver can't take anymore freshers alcohol print off all exam papers for the last number of years for each subject. Start as you mean to continue. Get used to the questions and then when topics are taught in class don't just make reams of notes make essay plans.

Law school papers always resemble past ones - there are only so many Qs that can be asked. No point trying to condense loads of notes into coherent mind maps in the 3 revision weeks when you can have it done before you even leave for Christmas.

Articles are really important if you want a decent grade. It's all about the analysis. Know the framework of an area - key cases - and then major emphasis on critiquing it or critiquing commentators view on the area.

I think most of the lecturers have changed for the subjects you mentioned. But you'll have come across whoever is taking them elsewhere.

Great, thanks for your advice. I'll be sure to pass it on.

And for the record, I wasn't 'slating' anyone. Eoin O'Dell can be put the fear of god in students, and I have no reservations about saying that. I had him for Contract and PLR and each time the class attendance dropped off considerably within 2-3 weeks. But he's an excellent lecturer, and his novel approach to contract law means you really have to get involved. Text books and second-hand information are no good here. If you want to score high you have to understand his thinking and approach to each issue. Also, you have to do the required reading. That should be true of all lecturers, but in reality that's not the case. I know people that got away with murder in certain modules, and still managed to land big results at the end of the year. But if you don't do O'Dell's reading you're in for a long semester! I think my friend will benefit from this 'warning', and I don't think Eoin O'Dell would mind either, if it means bums on seats and people doing the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Also, I'm sure you're right about there being a consistent marking policy. However, I can think of at least one lecturer (who is still there) that is quite generous with his marks when you show evidence of having simply read some academic commentary. However, one of his colleagues, who I also had a number of times, really wants you to engage and critique that commentary. Of course I'll be recommending that my friend do the extra reading and learn to critique it. However, these are small little tips that might help him on his way. I know I received similar pieces of advice off older students and more often than not they were quite useful.

Advertisement