Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAP 2 Exams 2012

Options
  • 29-03-2012 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Anyone stared study yet for June exams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Really should start giving it a good go....

What way are people approaching this?

I have just starting sorting my notes, organising exam papers.. etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 CeevieD

Time is just flying by, I am starting to freak out of all the work that has to be covered.
    Just do not know where to begin at this stage.
    How are ye set for mocks next week? Is anyone doing any revision courses that you would recommend?

I don't have the course covered in order to meaningfully attempt the mocks.

Has anyone else?

How did everyone fare in the Audit assessment. Marking was a bit better this year, average was 7 last year I believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Anerak

No where near ready to sit a mock exam
    Its so hard to get started into study.
    Have you looked into the Chartered Grind School or Griffith College for revision courses

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Anerak wrote: »
    No where near ready to sit a mock exam
    Its so hard to get started into study.
    Have you looked into the Chartered Grind School or Griffith College for revision courses

I personally think mocks are a waste of time.
    The only useful purpose they serve is to get people in the frame of mind to start working.
    I couldn't care what results I get I'd prefer to be ready in June rather than next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

i agree, very little point doing the mocks when we haven't had a chance to cover any of the material.

Got 9.0 in the Audit Assessment. Happy enough, strange exam, they must mark it fairly hard.

I might do the CGS FR grinds

I am trying to figure out the best way to study all the subjects, anyone any idea? Just do questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rolo34

do ya have to go in and sit the mocks this year?? im nowhere near prepared to sit them so total waste of time for me to go in to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

yep you do.

The benefit of the mocks is that they show you the layout of the paper. You'd be surprised by how easy it would be to go through study leave without being exam focused.

I wouldn't bother studying to pass the mocks. What I would do is take them for what they are, practical experience of exam conditions, exam formats, and timing. Get to know the wording and phrasing of questions. The weighting of marks.

If nothing else, they'll make you realise how much work is required and be a good motivator.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭EDudder

Hey, does anyone know anything about comparability between ACCA papers and CAI modules?

i.e. Are there any CAI modules where the equivalent ACCA paper might have relevant notes etc online? I'm wondering if F7 would be very similar to financial reporting for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lauma

EDudder wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone know anything about comparability between ACCA papers and CAI modules?

i.e. Are there any CAI modules where the equivalent ACCA paper might have relevant notes etc online? I'm wondering if F7 would be very similar to financial reporting for example.

not really sure so will be interested in another replies . But I think CAP 2 is very similar to CPA Advanced Corporate Reporting .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 smiley00

does anyone know are the mocks papers returned to our firm or do we just know what marks we get in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

EDudder wrote: »

ACCA F7 is pretty close to CAP2 Fin Rep. Covers the same stuff, from the conceptual framework up to cash flows, consolidations etc. If you have a look at F7 notes, it won't be hard to pick out what you can use.

Hi just wondering, how's study going for everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

last year about 2 weeks before the exam, i spent about 10 hours in the office photocopying and printing questions specific for each type of question for SFMA. used question from cap1, cap2, old fae and acca. made a real difference to studying and was handy on the day although only needed to use the file a few times but quickly found what i was looking for. for anyone looking to get organised, i would defo do that. split the questions into eg. wacc, investment appraisals, valuations, etc. think last year i had about 20 sections. then when studying, do a load of questions on the same area = best way to become a pro imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Anerak

Thanks for that advice,
    I am finding it so hard to stay focused,think questions are the best way & you have be organised going into the exams no point rooting through notes not knowning where items are

last year about 2 weeks before the exam, i spent about 10 hours in the office photocopying and printing questions specific for each type of question for SFMA. used question from cap1, cap2, old fae and acca. made a real difference to studying and was handy on the day although only needed to use the file a few times but quickly found what i was looking for. for anyone looking to get organised, i would defo do that. split the questions into eg. wacc, investment appraisals, valuations, etc. think last year i had about 20 sections. then when studying, do a load of questions on the same area = best way to become a pro imo.

Do you think for sfma, it's better starting with past paper questions?

For FR/Tax I've been working through the notes/text book to cover the material first (although it's been very slow so far), but with sfma I get the feeling it might be better just starting with past papers and using the book to help me.

On the mocks - does anyone ever pass any of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

It would probably depend how up to speed you are. If you feel like you could give them a bash, I'd go ahead. If u find something you're not the best at, go study it then get back to questions.

I was looking over competencies for SFMA and I don’t seem to have any notes or questions in regards to this topic:

2.6 Company in difficulty
    Recognise a financially troubled entity
    Evaluate, advise of or propose on options available (e.g. cease
    trading, refinancing, full or partial sell off ) from the perspective of the
    company’s stakeholders

Can someone please post here and share your notes/questions.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭acastudent

lauma wrote: »
    I was looking over competencies for SFMA and I don’t seem to have any notes or questions in regards to this topic:

2.6 Company in difficulty
    Recognise a financially troubled entity
    Evaluate, advise of or propose on options available (e.g. cease
    trading, refinancing, full or partial sell off ) from the perspective of the
    company’s stakeholders

Can someone please post here and share your notes/questions.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have anything on this topic either. but again I am repeating SFMA so I am guessing they changed this part. Hopefully someone will upload something or at least point us at a right direction...:)

Has anyone taken a look at Q5 on Autumn 2004 for Investment Appraisal?

I find the solution a bit weird; no-one will prob know what I am on about unless they have looked at it....

The CapEx is €4.5m on a four year asset; nil residual value; yet the projections do not fully depreciate it over the four years.

The solution ignores interest payments as a cash outflow.

It ignores the research cost of €1.2m at the end of Year One.

It gives the balance of the Capital Allowances in Year four;
    Was it clear in the Question to anyone that this should be the case?

I had picked it up that they were getting 25% reducing balance for so many years, but we only had to worry about 4 years in our analysis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 larry2009

Does anyone have the solutions for FR and audit mock papers 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

larry2009 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the solutions for FR and audit mock papers 2012?

They're on the institute website

• Registered Users Posts: 28 larry2009

can you post a link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Clarise123

Hi Guys, can someone please give me contact details for Tom McDermott, our SFMA Lecturer as I need to get in contact with him but have lost details... phone number or email... Thanks a lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Cabbage11

See attached

• Registered Users Posts: 11 muzzyizzet

So how are people going about study for the final week or two? I want to get started on just doing papers over and over again but I'm still trying to cover material in all 4 subjects really. I'v also seriously neglected audit so will have to get most of that covered in a couple of days. What stage are most other people at?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Canada2013

I'm mostly just working through exam papers.

I'm sitting Audit and SFMA for the first time, and am repeating FR and Tax.

Does anyone know if there are any changes in FR and Tax, between last year and this year, that I should know about? I'm currently working off all my books and notes from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Tricky1979

Anybody locate the Vendor Ltd solution?

There is also a question in a SFMA Management Acc Q's pack called Cairo Ltd. Any ideas where this is from? Need solution. Ta

Re Tom McDermott - I don't recall him providing any contact details - if you have them pls PM me as I have a question or 2 for him also. Ta

muzzyizzet wrote: »
    So how are people going about study for the final week or two? I want to get started on just doing papers over and over again but I'm still trying to cover material in all 4 subjects really. I'v also seriously neglected audit so will have to get most of that covered in a couple of days. What stage are most other people at?

I'm starting into past papers for FR and SFMA. But I still have a LOT of the tax course to cover.

I've noticed now that as I start FR past paper Q's, although I covered some of the material weeks ago, I'm having trouble remembering how to apply it. It's good practise though, as you go back and remind yourself how to do it. I'll start SFMA papers in the next few days. On the whole though, I'm still very much attempting the papers and then having to go back and cover topics again. But I suppose that's sort of the point.

Anyone have any good approaches for tax? I got behind on it trying to cover SFMA and FR material. The idea of actually knowing everything on the tax course seems a little ridiculous.

I feel quite strong on audit if I'm honest. I might fall into the trap of failing it because I haven't given it enough time, but I still feel like I can't give up time working on FR or Tax to work on audit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Cabbage11

Canada2013 wrote: »
    I'm mostly just working through exam papers.

I'm sitting Audit and SFMA for the first time, and am repeating FR and Tax.

Does anyone know if there are any changes in FR and Tax, between last year and this year, that I should know about? I'm currently working off all my books and notes from last year.
    You should have a look at the competency statements on-line to see if there are any changes.
    http://students.charteredaccountants.ie/Student-Information/Exams/CAP2/

For FR there is a colossal amount of material to get through, I'm using that Bazwaldo & CGS book to do questions on consols and normal SPLOCI & SOFP with adj, havent done as much/anything on cashflow consols.

Tax (NI) I have covered the topics, doing past papers at this stage, some good technical articles on ACCA website that explain groups, IHT etc in simple stages. For the relief's on CGT and IHT making queue cards with 5-6 points on each.

The other 2 just Questions, Questions & more Questions.

Advertisement