Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clamped at work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

the fact that legally they could do nothing is the main thing but perhaps it may have been better to pay if u used the car park the odd time. they have the rite to refuse u in future which they are exercising mayb sucking it up and paying them may have been better?still fair play i would have love to have seen his face:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭[InsertHandle]

Tried to post this earlier but didn't really get a chance ... so here's what happened ...

parked down the road 5 mins walk from work and strolled in this morning

When I got in my swipe wouldn't work on ANY door ... a quick visit to security sorted that out but the carpark is still off limits. Think some lazy guy just blocked me from everywhere instead of just the carpark.

Anywho dropped over to the building where the site security is based to see what the story was and guess who was sitting behind the reception desk... my arch-nemesis ... security man on a power trip. I was walking in the door when he saw me and picked up the phone. When I got to the desk (before I had even said a work) he was telling someone on the other end to come down ... that he had a "problem here and you need to get down here now"! As if I was about to start causing trouble!!!

Some other guy came down and started waffling on about what I did was "illegal" and "wrong", and how I was lucky they didn't call the gardai!!! I had been quite happily waiting for the gardai to come last night but he had called his boss instead(who told him to let me go)

Basically I’m barred from all carparks on site until I pay the €50 - never gonna happen. I've found a nice spot to park beside work where I’m not gonna get a ticket or clamped so I couldn't give a ****.

I'm kinda interested to see what the legal stance is on someone who owns the carpark privately clamping on it. I know I was in the wrong... I did park in an unofficial spot but I just think they need to get there're heads out of their company asses and deal with ppl on a human level. Here's the thing.. I wasn't blocking anybody from getting out of their parking spot or the flow or traffic around the carpark. We all have to work there so why not send an email or something first before sticking on a clamp... they have my parking permit number, licence plate and personal details I had to fill out to get the permit. I understand they have to keep some sort of order but a system of warnings/no charge for the first clamping and making the clamping policy clearer are just a start.

Part of me would love to outwit them in some legal loophole type thing but I doubt this will ever happen ... I know sweet feck all about the law and can't afford a solicitor just to make a point(any offers of pro-bono help are welcome). As it stands I've no problem parking off-site and going to work every day with the warm feeling in my heart that I beat the clamper this time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Clampers are stoopid. You can't beat them except by being more stoopider.

Private car parks cannot "fine" you for parking in the wrong spot. I'm not sure how legal it is to clamp on private property, but certainly they can only charge you for removal of the clamp, they cannot fine you for parking incorrectly on private property.

Since you removed the clamp, there was no need for you to pay anyone to remove it for you. Case closed.

They're well within their rights to tell you that you're not allowed park there anymore, though I suspect the security company is contracted by your company (or all of the companies who lease there), and ultimately your company has the final word on who goes in and out. A quick word with your premises dept about the conduct of the company, and I'd say you'd get access again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Hagar wrote:
    Lump hammer and a cold chisel should do the job. If they come along while you're doing it... well you have a lump hammer and a cold chisel...
    Cabbage! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

What an episode! Well done Sir.

Tune in next week when [InsertHandle] takes on the Dublin City CoCo clampers....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

you could really get on their wick by changing cards and purposely parking the this spot, removing the clamp, tell "power trip guy" to get lost every second day or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The thing to do now is ask, under the Data Protection Act, exactly what info they have on file for you. If they are libeling you, get some legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm kinda interested to see what the legal stance is on someone who owns the carpark privately clamping on it. I know I was in the wrong... I did park in an unofficial spot but I just think they need to get there're heads out of their company asses and deal with ppl on a human level.

It might be different where you work but here there are only a few parking spaces (I think about 30 for 18 companies) so each company pays about 15k (I think) for each spot. Clamping is done for people parking in other companys spaces and in common areas simply because if they let them do that, no-one would pay for their spaces anymore - it's just revenue protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

seamus wrote:
    Private car parks cannot "fine" you for parking in the wrong spot. I'm not sure how legal it is to clamp on private property, but certainly they can only charge you for removal of the clamp, they cannot fine you for parking incorrectly on private property.

Since you removed the clamp, there was no need for you to pay anyone to remove it for you. Case closed.

They're well within their rights to tell you that you're not allowed park there anymore, though I suspect the security company is contracted by your company (or all of the companies who lease there), and ultimately your company has the final word on who goes in and out. A quick word with your premises dept about the conduct of the company, and I'd say you'd get access again.
    This is the most succinct advice given so far. I'd go for it. At least make a complaint to your premises dept about the behaviour of the security company representative (power-trip guy) towards you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cardoor

I work for a large multinational in the IT Dept. I know how to setup up the Swipe/ID Cards. Normally they are all setup using a template which would give access to X amount particular doors, gates, etc. I bet in your case they had to remove your access to the Car Park by simply unticking a box in the Security System. Lose your card and get a new one. I bet you will get access to the Car Park back once they setup the new card. Then just park in a proper spot anymore.
    If they lock you in again contest your right to use the car park unless you were notified the last time in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Just want to say respect to the OP. Well done mate.

Best thread i've read in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i'd be wary of going to your company facilities dept. the security people have been given their authority by your company. While you're entitled to protest their heavy-handedness, multi-nationals are generally unsympathetic to employees causing trouble and they may not necessarily take your side.