Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New front tyres for ford focus

Options
  • 14-02-2014 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

I need to pick up some new front tyres for our second car. 2002 ford focus.

Anyone bought 196/65/15's recently? Any opinions. i dont want to spend a fortune or be too cheap either.

Rang around and was offered;
    bridgestones for 90 quid
    firestones for 80
    barum for 79
    riken for 59.

any thoughts or where to go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Location?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Out of this choice not willing to spend too much, I'd go for Riken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

biko wrote: »
    Location?
    Swords

CiniO wrote: »
    Out of this choice not willing to spend too much, I'd go for Riken.

They ok? Would probably spend 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is First Stop up near the fire station still there? They may have some offers going.
    Or Malahide Tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

195/65 15 is the wrong size for a 2002 Focus. It should have 195/60 15 tyres fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Got 4 195/65/15 Bridgestone T001s fitted recently for €60 each,

Got 4 195/65/15 Bridgestone T001s fitted recently for €60 each,

That's like the fella that goes to confession and says he had s threesome just cos he wants to tell everyone!

You wanna say where?

195/65 15 is the wrong size for a 2002 Focus. It should have 195/60 15 tyres fitted.

You're right. That what comes of looking too quick! Does it make much of a price difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Give Discount Tyres in Blanch a call and see what they have on offer. I think I got a pair of Michelins in that size fitted there for €75 each last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

peteb2 wrote: »
    You're right. That what comes of looking too quick! Does it make much of a price difference?

195/60 is a slightly more expensive size alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

peteb2 wrote: »
    That's like the fella that goes to confession and says he had s threesome just cos he wants to tell everyone!

You wanna say where?

Mc manus tyres in dundalk!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Get premium part-used tyres from e.g. www.tyreland.ie ?

Also, put better set of tyres on the rear of the car. It sounds counter-intuitive, but that is what the major manufacturers recommend for the vast majority of cars.

Not your ornery onager

Went to tyreland in the end cos it was close.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Need new tyres for a Focus as well.

Have been quoted €87 for Hankook Ventus Prime 2 91H 205/55/16 fitted.

Anyone any experience of these tyres? Is this a good price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

TRS30 wrote: »

They are a decent midrange tyre but at €87 they're too dear. Expect to pay €75-€80 for those.

If your budget allows for a tyre of that price I'd recommend Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance. You should be able to source them for around €90 fitted.

VeVeX wrote: »
    They are a decent midrange tyre but at €87 they're too dear. Expect to pay €75-€80 for those.

If your budget allows for a tyre of that price I'd recommend Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance. You should be able to source them for around €90 fitted.

Thanks.

Tyreland have quoted me €86 for a Pirelli Cinturato p7 fitted.

Would this be a better option that the Hankook?

Thanks.

Tyreland have quoted me €86 for a Pirelli Cinturato p7 fitted.

Would this be a better option that the Hankook?

They would be better than Hankook in my opinion but not as good as the Goodyear I recommended.

VeVeX wrote: »
    They would be better than Hankook in my opinion but not as good as the Goodyear I recommended.

Ok will have a look at those.

Anyone any experience of the part worn tyres from tyreland?

Ok will have a look at those.

Anyone any experience of the part worn tyres from tyreland?

Pricewise if you buy an used part worn tyre with 5mm of thread for €35 a new Hankook at €75 works out the same. The Hankook however is new, covered by warranty and has no unknown history.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I had them on my astra and there a good tyre. But wouldn't be a patch on the Goodyear excellence I have now or the likes of Bridgestone turanzas. But as I said the hankook are still are very good tyre I just found they lost grip when pushed easier than the other brands I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I put two new Hankook Ventus Prime on the rear of a previous car. Nice tyre, no problems.

Btw, the Hankook Ventus Prime in question were 50% profile, whereas the front tyres were 55%. I did a fair bit of research and learned that if mixing profiles, it is recommended to put the lower profile tyres on the rear.

So, tl/dr is:

New pair of tyres - put them on the rear (in most cases). Move the older rear tyres to the front, but be sure to have them balanced.

Lower profile pair of tyres - put them on the rear too, and remember to have the old rear wheels balanced before having them fitted to the front.

Edit: So, I had two valid reasons for putting the new pair of tyres on the rear.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

No Pants wrote: »
    Give Discount Tyres in Blanch a call and see what they have on offer. I think I got a pair of Michelins in that size fitted there for €75 each last year.

+1 for these. I got a full set from them a few months back. Hankook's at a very good price. Send them an email, they were very quick to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 caramel08

Hi, just wondering if anyone has experience/knowledge of barum tyres. have been quote 87euro for 195/45 r16. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

caramel08 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyone has experience/knowledge of barum tyres. have been quote 87euro for 195/45 r16. thanks

That's mad money for 105 I got a premium 18 inch tyre

Advertisement