Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Year of a car ?

Options
  • 06-07-2013 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭

Most people look at first two (or three now) digits on the number plate.

But there is actually lot's more info provided in the VRC (logbook).

We've got in the logbook:
    (B) - Date of first registration.
    (B.1) - Date of first licensing in IRL.
    (B.2) - Year of Manufacture
    (C.9) - Date of sale.
    (I) - Date of registration in IRL.

What I think it works as follows:

(B) - It's only indicated on imported cars and it shows date of first registration in country of origin. On cars first registered in Ireland this field is empty.
    (B.1) - This is a date at which motortax was paid for the first time.
    (B.2) - This is the year vehicle was manufactured.
    (C.9) - This shows a date at which vehicle last changed owner in Ireland. It's empty on cars which had only 1 owner in Ireland.
    (I) - This shows date at which VRT was paid.

Obviously I might be wrong about them, but after looking at few different VRC that's what I think.

Now - for me it looks like that year on number plate corresponds to field (I).

The question: is field (I) together with number plate year, always the same as field (B.2)?
    Or are there cases where actually vehicle was manufactured in previous year but only first registered in Ireland the following year? (f.e. vehicle manufactured in 2005, but holding 06 reg)
    Or maybe there is some law forcing dealers to have all the cars manufactured in certain year, to register them in that year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

My car was manufactured in Nov. 2004, was registered in the UK in 2005, and then registered in Ireland in 2011. It has a 05- plate.

In essence, for new cars being registered for the first time ever - the numberplate corresponds to (I) as you can't get a numberplate without paying VRT.

For second hand imports (B) is what the numberplate corresponds to.

And AFAIK, it's possible for dealers to leave cars sitting on the forecourt for any number of years, and then register them as new. So if anyone had for example, an un-registered E46, they should be able to get a 132 reg. I'm not sure on that though.

Realistically, the numberplate isn't a measure of a cars true age, but more when the car came into use.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

My car was manufactured in Nov. 2004, was registered in the UK in 2005, and then registered in Ireland in 2011. It has a 05- plate.

In essence, for new cars being registered for the first time ever - the numberplate corresponds to (I) as you can't get a numberplate without paying VRT.

For second hand imports (B) is what the numberplate corresponds to.

And AFAIK, it's possible for dealers to leave cars sitting on the forecourt for any number of years, and then register them as new. So if anyone had for example, an un-registered E46, they should be able to get a 132 reg. I'm not sure on that though.

Realistically, the numberplate isn't a measure of a cars true age, but more when the car came into use.

Thanks.

So it looks like that when f.e. buying 05 car this year, it doesn't neccesserily mean it's 8 years old, as it might be even 10 or more...
    That seems strange to me, but what can we do.

I started wondering because I have a 01 Fiat Bravo, which has 01 plate, on (I) field it shows November 2001, but on (B1) field it shows July 2002.

So I assume it literally means that dealer registered it and paid VRT in November 2001, but only sold the car in July 2002.

That's why I started thinking that maybe dealers are obliged to register cars in the year they were manufactures, but from what you are saying they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CiniO wrote: »

That's why I started thinking that maybe dealers are obliged to register cars in the year they were manufactures, but from what you are saying they are not.

If that were true no one would have a current year reg (ie 131) till into february. Sometimes the answer can be got from common sense :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Most people look at first two (or three now) digits on the number plate.

But there is actually lot's more info provided in the VRC (logbook).

We've got in the logbook:
    (B) - Date of first registration.
    (B.1) - Date of first licensing in IRL.
    (B.2) - Year of Manufacture
    (C.9) - Date of sale.
    (I) - Date of registration in IRL.

What I think it works as follows:

(B) - It's only indicated on imported cars and it shows date of first registration in country of origin. On cars first registered in Ireland this field is empty.
    (B.1) - This is a date at which motortax was paid for the first time.
    (B.2) - This is the year vehicle was manufactured.
    (C.9) - This shows a date at which vehicle last changed owner in Ireland. It's empty on cars which had only 1 owner in Ireland.
    (I) - This shows date at which VRT was paid.

Obviously I might be wrong about them, but after looking at few different VRC that's what I think.

Now - for me it looks like that year on number plate corresponds to field (I).

The question: is field (I) together with number plate year, always the same as field (B.2)?
    Or are there cases where actually vehicle was manufactured in previous year but only first registered in Ireland the following year? (f.e. vehicle manufactured in 2005, but holding 06 reg)
    Or maybe there is some law forcing dealers to have all the cars manufactured in certain year, to register them in that year
    ?

If you think for a minute, you'll realise that all cars reg'd on 1/1 of each year were manufactured in the previous calendar year (at least) and you'll have your answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] are there cases where actually vehicle was manufactured in previous year but only first registered in Ireland the following year? [...]

Yes, quite often, I'd say.

I have one. Built Oct '99, registered Jan '00, so 00 plates on it. :]

• Advertisement

It makes sense what you say, but...

As I said I have a car which has 01 plate, and field (I) shows November 2001, while field (B1) shows July 2002.

So it looks like that car was first sold by dealer in July 2002, but for some reason they registered in in November 2001... Why would they do that if they didn't have to?

Also I looked up some old documents, and I found a copy of VRC of a car I had few years ago.
    Car was first registered on 2nd January 2002, and that's the date from field (I).
    But in (B2) field (which describes year of manufacture) it says 2002.

So I must admit I'm bit confused...

Does anyone actually own a vehicle where field (B2) shows year earlier than the one on numberplate?

Unregistered Users

[...]

So it looks like that car was first sold by dealer in July 2002, but for some reason they registered in in November 2001... Why would they do that if they didn't have to?

Well, everything is possible here. ;)

Maybe buyer changed his mind at the very last moment, maybe something else, I have no clue. :o
    Also I looked up some old documents, and I found a copy of VRC of a car I had few years ago.
    Car was first registered on 2nd January 2002, and that's the date from field (I).
    But in (B2) field (which describes year of manufacture) it says 2002.

[...]

You're probably one of the few who cares. I care as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I was sad when I found out my 2007 civic was made and fished in 2005.

Didn't release then until 2006

Unregistered Users

Good point is, it sells as 2007 anyway. :P

joujoujou wrote: »
    Well, everything is possible here. ;)

Maybe buyer changed his mind at the very last moment, maybe something else, I have no clue. :o

Allrite, but this is fiat bravo. They stopped manufactureing them in 2001.
    I've never seen any 02 fiat bravo in Ireland, which means that all of them were registered in 2001.
    I can't really believe that mine was the only one which found it's first buyer in 2002, and was only preregistered in 2001 by mistake.
    You're probably one of the few who cares. I care as well.

You know it really makes a difference how old is your car.
    Fact that someone's car is 2005 instead of 2007 should have horrendous impact on it's value.

• Advertisement

I was sad when I found out my 2007 civic was made and fished in 2005.

Didn't release then until 2006

So you have 07 reg civic which was manufactured in 2005, given out to dealer in 2006 and first registered in 2007?
    What do you have in (B2) field on your VRC?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm 99% certain I traded in an 05 reg new shape Civic a few years ago.

There was an 05 reg Bravo van on donedeal a while ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Father has a car manufactured in early 2010, in Dealership in 2010, used as a demo so he got a discount when he bought in 2011 and it was first registered to him in 2011 so it has a 2011 reg. Just over 200k/m was on the clock when he bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yawns wrote: »
    Father has a car manufactured in early 2010, in Dealership in 2010, used as a demo so he got a discount when he bought in 2011 and it was first registered to him in 2011 so it has a 2011 reg. Just over 200k/m was on the clock when he bought it.

There was an alfa (156 v6 iirc) that was a running joke on here for a couple of years that sat unregistered on carzone till just before the july 08 I think when it was registered so itd be 1300 to tax rather than 2k on the new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

So you have 07 reg civic which was manufactured in 2005, given out to dealer in 2006 and first registered in 2007?
    What do you have in (B2) field on your VRC?

I dont know. Haven't had the car for a good while now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It makes sense what you say, but...

As I said I have a car which has 01 plate, and field (I) shows November 2001, while field (B1) shows July 2002.

Demo car maybe?

Unregistered Users

[...]

You don't have to explain me that. I know. :)
    Fact that someone's car is 2005 instead of 2007 should have horrendous impact on it's value.

Of course it has. Both ways. ;)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There was an 05 reg Bravo van on donedeal a while ago.

I just came across it.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-bravo-diesel/5300908

Full-21278179.jpeg

For me it seems quite ridiculous that you can have 05 reg on a car which was manufactured in 2001 the latest.
    Someone who is not aware, might thing he is buying 8 years old car, while in fact car is at least 12 years or older.

BTW - there were no 1.6 diesel in those bravos.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yep, its a JTD 100

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Allrite, but this is fiat bravo. They stopped manufactureing them in 2001.
    I've never seen any 02 fiat bravo in Ireland, which means that all of them were registered in 2001.
    I can't really believe that mine was the only one which found it's first buyer in 2002, and was only preregistered in 2001 by mistake.

I just came across it.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-bravo-diesel/5300908

For me it seems quite ridiculous that you can have 05 reg on a car which was manufactured in 2001 the latest.
    Someone who is not aware, might thing he is buying 8 years old car, while in fact car is at least 12 years or older.

BTW - there were no 1.6 diesel in those bravos.
    It doesn't make a difference. Not unless it was sitting out in the rain. All that makes a difference is that you're getting the same version, as in nothing has changed for the better since yours was manufactured.
    Anyone buying an older version of a car should know that it's the older version.
    As to why yours was registered by the dealer, often it's to meet certain targets by the end of the financial year. Sometimes it's for a demo model.
    It's really no big deal. What difference does it actually make? If a car rolled off an assembly line today, those individual parts might be as old as a year already. If the assembled product is left in storage, it's not wearing away with age. It's still a brand new product when someone buys it.
    In any case the year of all cars is officially the year of first registration, nowhere does it pretend to fool people into thinking that the car was made at that time.
    Also, the only thing that matters when buying a used car is exactly how "used" it is, and neither the reg plate nor the manufacture date will tell you that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Well here's one that may worry you (unnecessarily, although i do se ethe poin you're trying to make, it wont be changed any time soon though ) CiniO:

I have come across this a few times in the past, for example a Bedford horse truck which was once a fuel tanker at an airfield in the UK. Early 1970s truck, never registered. Ended up with a mid 80s reg when eventually sold and put on the road.

I think there was a similar story on here too about several vehicles like that

Advertisement