Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sizing guides

• 26-01-2013 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I was just wondering does anyone else have this problem... When I'm online looking through different clothes and I check the size guide. The size guide always put my measurements into bigger sizes than I am. For example, my measurements are 40-28-40. I'm a 10 mostly but sometimes 12 or 8, depends on the clothing. The size guides such as boohoo with a size 10 measuring 34-27-36 and Zara's medium 35-27-38. I always look like a drowned rat in Zara's medium or either some part of the clothing is way too baggy/big. The 10 in boohoo fits fine. In general I can't trust the sizes they give on the websites and have to try on everything. Just having a ol vent and seeing can anyone else relate... :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

You can't trust size guidelines. I generally have to try clothes on in different sizes even in shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I've found the only shop to have somewhat consistent sizing is Topshop. Everywhere else (bar unisex American Apparel and most Urban Outfitters brands) is very hit and miss. Zara and H&M are the worst culprits. I am a S in H&M tops and slightly loose dresses, but an XL in fitted dresses because they don't fit my chest or hips.

I have to try everything on before I buy. Unless I have tried it on in-store, or I really trust the shop, I never order online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Are you sure that your measurements are correct? 40-28-40 won't be usually possible unless you've had both mammoplasty and gluteoplasty!

A 28-inch waist is the classical measurement of a UK size 10 but the other two measurements seem to me to be Continental sizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gyalist wrote: »
    Are you sure that your measurements are correct? 40-28-40 won't be usually possible unless you've had both mammoplasty and gluteoplasty!

A 28-inch waist is the classical measurement of a UK size 10 but the other two measurements seem to me to be Continental sizes.

That's perfectly possible - it just means that the OP has a very clear hourglass figure! I have similar measurements (42-28-38) and a similar issue to the OP too - bust on most size charts matches a 16 and waist/hips match a 10-12, but generally a 12 or a medium is fine everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

A 40" bust will never fit a size 10 top and the OP claims that she is mostly a 10. However, a Continental 40 is almost the equivalent of a UK 10 which is why it seems to me that Continental and UK sizes are being used interchangeably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

A 40" bust will never fit a size 10 top and the OP claims that she is mostly a 10. However, a Continental 40 is almost the equivalent of a UK 10 which is why it seems to me that Continental and UK sizes are being used interchangeably.

I'm about a 41-42" bust and a size 12 (sometimes 14) UK/Continental 40. My waist would be roughly 27-28" as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Atoms and Marbles

Sorry for the delay.. my measurements were in inches not in continental sizes. The size 10 I was referring to is a UK size 10. A uk size 10 shirt/blouse will obviously not fit me. I would generally have to stay clear of shirts or restrictive fabric in a size 10, but then if I go up to accommodate my chest I look like I'm wearing a giant bin-bag. But tops like t-shirts/top with stretch would fit. The waist band is usually too big on jeans and pants if I want them to fit over my thighs/bottom. Thanks for your replies. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Continental 40 or 44, 38, 42, depending on the country is uk 12 and in cm you would be probably well over 100cm on top. If any of your measurements is 40cm you would be a young child.

Advertisement