Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HID Kit.

• 16-12-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

I am ordering HID's for my dims and fog lights. For the fogs I am ordering 35 watt 5000k lights. And for the dims I want to order 55 watt 6000k lights but is there anything in the law against this or is it okay?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

What's the car?
    Do you have projector headlights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

SV wrote: »
    What's the car?
    Do you have projector headlights?

E36.

Pretty sure it comes standard with them in Eu.

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    E36.

So your headlights look like this headlight.jpg ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

6000k in projectors will look very blue.. maybe 5000k for the dims also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i had 6000k in my projectors....were not blue at all. pure white

• Advertisement

So your headlights look like this headlight.jpg ?

Not sure because the EU and NA ones are different but look the same. All I know is http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BE72&mospid=47426&btnr=63_0273&hg=63&fg=05 is mine.

sean1141 wrote: »
    6000k in projectors will look very blue.. maybe 5000k for the dims also?

Well if I keep the 55 watt it will wash out the colour so 6000k and 5000k will match better than 5000k each. But if I will fail NCT with 55 watt I'll just get 35 watt with both 5000k.

it will fail the nct if it looks blue. i passed with 55w 4300k in the reflector headlights in the car. have 35w 5000k in projectors now and the light is pure white with just a hint of blue around the edges.. no real need for 55w imo.

It will fail the nct regardless.
    Your headlight projection will be all wrong.

HID kits ONLY go into headlight projectors.
    the headlights you have scatter the light everywhere

i passed the nct with hids in reflector headlights.. but since i have installed projectors you really notice the differance. the light is a lot better and less scattered

Guess that means time to go look into buy vaders again since I can't be bothered paying 200 for the headlights as well right now.

Thanks for the reply's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i have 6000k in reflectors and i think they're fantastic. i have them aimed almost perfectly. never get flashed and i got a few people i know to drive towards me and they said they were fine. any temp. over 6000 will fail the nct. it doesnt matter if they're projector or reflector.

i have 6000k in reflectors and i think they're fantastic. i have them aimed almost perfectly. never get flashed and i got a few people i know to drive towards me and they said they were fine. any temp. over 6000 will fail the nct. it doesnt matter if they're projector or reflector.

Hmm I still wouldn't chance it if my lights aren't ellipsoid. But according to bimmerforums uk they are. So confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

I don't care what anyone says, HID in reflector headlights is irresponsible, and moreover, looks terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

Do not use HID in non-projector headlamps
    It will be dangerous for others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

daRobot wrote: »
    I don't care what anyone says, HID in reflector headlights is irresponsible, and moreover, looks terrible.
    Piri wrote: »
    Do not use HID in non-projector headlamps
    It will be dangerous for others

Yes use H7R Kits

Quick example

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Hid-Xenon-Kit-H7R-slim-dig-ballasts-8000K-Arctic-Ice-/320479840032?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4a9e164720

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Jer,please don't retrofit HIDs to fogs if you are they type that likes to drive around on wet nights with them on. Bluey normal bulbs in the fogs will suffice to annoy people, HID fogs might flip them over the edge...

langdang wrote: »
    Jer,please don't retrofit HIDs to fogs if you are they type that likes to drive around on wet nights with them on. Bluey normal bulbs in the fogs will suffice to annoy people, HID fogs might flip them over the edge...

I want the fogs so they match rather than for use. I was gonna get fulls as well but was told that they would burn out too quick since they aren't made for flashing or constant on/off.

16122010288.th.jpg

16122010289.th.jpg

2 pictures of my headlights. From looking at them I think they are projectors.

And pictures were taking with my phone at night so sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I am ordering HID's for my dims and fog lights. For the fogs I am ordering 35 watt 5000k lights. And for the dims I want to order 55 watt 6000k lights but is there anything in the law against this or is it okay?

What is wrong with the current/standard lights on you car?

P.C. wrote: »
    What is wrong with the current/standard lights on you car?

I feel safer driving with xenon or HID than I do with halogen. But xenon keep blowing so I said I would try HID's.

I feel safer driving with xenon or HID than I do with halogen. But xenon keep blowing so I said I would try HID's.

Why?
    Most people manage just fine with halogen.

• Advertisement

Why?

Never said it wasn't fine but that I felt better driving with better lights. Especially as my car is low so all the SUV lights just over power mine and shine straight at my eyes.

Never said it wasn't fine but that I felt better driving with better lights. Especially as my car is low so all the SUV lights just over power mine and shine straight at my eyes.

So, the light that you have on the car now are fine.

The SUV light over powering your lights and shining in your eyes is a seperate issue.

Where do you do the most of your driving?
    Town/city or country/open road?

So, the light that you have on the car now are fine.

The SUV light over powering your lights and shining in your eyes is a seperate issue.

Where do you do the most of your driving?
    Town/city or country/open road?

Country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

100% WRONG!

You are only changing the bulb, not the bulb position or headlight direction. Once the headlight is aligned correctly with a halogen bulb, it will pass with a HID.

Technically you are correct, they should go into projectors for a better beam cut-off / reduced scatter.

Ordinary (usually cheaper) halogen reflector headlights are not designed very well and the cut-off is normally scattered a bit, but change this to a bulb x3-x4 times brighter, the scatter is multiplied, this is the scatter people hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭feelites

Why?

coz they never been driven with the hids ;)

OP, u'll be fine with the NCT, no worries.
    even with the hids around 10-12k

Advertisement