Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin parking query

• 10-02-2014 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help with a question.

I am residing in an apartment block with my partner in Dublin 8. We have one parking space for two cars.

As there are no other spaces available to rent in the complex, we are trying to figure out if it's possible to apply for a parking permit on the street where the apartment complex is. Clamping is rife in the area.

We got an application form, but it is rather difficult to find out if we are eligible for a permit. Has anyone any similar experience?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Looks like it is possible but will cost you €400 for one year or €750 for two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭chases0102

Yeah, it seems that way alright form the link. Not sure we can afford that.

It's a difficult one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,492 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It may depend on whether the area you are in is high or low demand.

Do you actually need two cars if you are that close to the city?

Unfortunately, yes. I work in Co. Meath, while my partner has to travel a lot with her work (which is based in Dublin).

Is it possible to find out whether an area is high or low demand?

• Advertisement

chases0102 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, yes. I work in Co. Meath, while my partner has to travel a lot with her work (which is based in Dublin).

How many parking spaces are available on street locally?

Talk to the Roads and Traffic office. I imagine send them an email outlining where you live.

Thanks Victor, will do.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

chases0102 wrote: »

This map: http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/Parking/Documents/rt2851_07b_Parking_Zones_and_Tariffs[1].pdf

monument wrote: »
    I know it can be confusing, but that doesn't necessarily match up. For example, it should be very possible to get a residents permit on Upper Mayor Street (Green Zone), as there are very few houses, which means little demand.

In contrast, parts of Ranelagh are also Green Zone, but residents parking is grossly oversubscribed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,493 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

monument wrote: »

The 'demand' referred to in that map is to do with how much the city council can charge and get away with for parking, it has nothing to do with demand for residential parking.

Example: Clyde Road and Raglan Road are residential streets with large houses where most people have off-road parking and you'd hardly see a single car parked on the street at night yet you can see on the map that those streets are categorised Yellow ('Very High Demand') which means the parking charges are the same as in Merrion Square and St. Stephens Green, the reason is the number of offices in the area.

Wellington Road is yellow Mon-Fri and the clampers are all over the place but it's free to park on Saturday & Sunday - 'nuf said.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

That map an indication of the high demand areas generally and, from what I understand from listening to complaints about the system, apartment residents in the general high demand areas shown on the map are less likely to get a permit. Maybe that's changed recently?

There's also factors such as how many permits have been given out for your street or nearby streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,435 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Not sure it has anything that would suit, but daft has a section for renting car spaces too
    http://www.daft.ie/searchparking.daft?s[search_type]=parking

Maybe send a flyer into your neighbours to see if any have unused spots? Offer them €30 a month or whatever you feel is fair?

Advertisement