Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxsaver ticket

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

so if I am getting a Luas ONLY taxsaver yearly card soon, and this is in the form of a leap card, and I load credit onto it, is it clever enough to know not to take credit away when travelling on Luas and only charge it when getting a bus?
    Yes.

There had been an issue with Irish Rail annual tickets and e-purse functionality, but I'm not aware of any with Luas.

Feel free to come back to us with any observations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

Tried my ticket on the bus yesterday and it seemed to work fine.

Regarding multi operator annual tickets, will existing tickets be re-issued as leap cards at some point? My annual ticket just started this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,557 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Unless you specifically request it, you will keep your ticket until it needs to be renewed in January 2015.

I got a job offer last week and assuming there are no hiccups, I will most likely be leaving my current workplace who I have an annual taxsaver ticket through. I won't need the taxsaver ticket anymore as the new job is close to where I am living.

Can I just give the card and ID back to my current employer without having to pay the remaining price of the ticket? As it stands I asked them to deduct the payment over 12 months and the ticket has only been valid since the start of January this year so I have only had payment deducted from one wage packet so far.

I got a job offer last week and assuming there are no hiccups, I will most likely be leaving my current workplace who I have an annual taxsaver ticket through. I won't need the taxsaver ticket anymore as the new job is close to where I am living.

Can I just give the card and ID back to my current employer without having to pay the remaining price of the ticket? As it stands I asked them to deduct the payment over 12 months and the ticket has only been valid since the start of January this year so I have only had payment deducted from one wage packet so far.

You should return the ticket to your current employer and then they can get a refund of the unused portion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Is the 'Annual Short Hop Commuter Rail, DART & Dublin Bus' ticket a Leap Card with a digital photo on it?

Since February 1st such tickets are now issued on a LEAP card, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Strictly speaking, this is a private matter between you and your employer, your contract should outline what happens here ( but I bet it doesn't)

Your employer has bought a ticket for you either as a bonus
    or as a salary sacrifice
    or as some hybrid where some of the cost is a bonus and some is some salary sacrifice.

If it's salary sacrifice, you will have some written evidence of these change to your terms and conditions. And they'll more'n likely say you agree to deducting the cost of an annual ticket from your pay, so the balance will more than likely be withheld from ble to both get a refund for the remainngyour final pay, if you choose to leave.

Your employer, if they were a-holes, may be able to both get a refund for the remaining months and deduct you the cost as you agreed in writing to get the tax relief. Unfortuneately. ble to both get a refund for the remainng
    It's the thing with being the one real tax break for the working person, it can screw you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

As poster above said it probably depends on your employer. I know in my annual application to join the scheme it states that if we leave the company we have to pay the balance out of our final pay-cheque but that's my company's rules - nothing to do with Taxsaver.ie. I also have some vague memory of them being non-refundable but I'm not certain on this point.

Balls. Just checked, looks like I will be deducted the outstanding amount.

Can I get a refund or something from Dublin bus directly? I won't need the ticket after i change jobs.

• Advertisement

Balls. Just checked, looks like I will be deducted the outstanding amount.

Can I get a refund or something from Dublin bus directly? I won't need the ticket after i change jobs.

If your employer insists on deducting the full amount, there is nothing you can do - that's their prerogative.

They bought the ticket from Dublin Bus, not you, I'm afraid. It is absolutely up to your employer what they do.

I'd have to question why you ordered an annual pass and then barely a month later decided to change jobs?

lxflyer wrote: »
    If your employer insists on deducting the full amount, there is nothing you can do - that's their prerogative.

They bought the ticket from Dublin Bus, not you, I'm afraid. It is absolutely up to your employer what they do.

I'd have to question why you ordered an annual pass and then barely a month later decided to change jobs?

The job offer was unexpected, I wasn't looking around for something else.

Nice empty pay packet for me this month then.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 murphy2

Cancelling Annual Tickets / Smart Cards

Iarnród Éireann/Dublin Bus

Please note that Annual products are based on a 10 month rate, with two months free and this discount is withdrawn if the ticket is cancelled so the refund/credit is based on the regular monthly rate by the number of months used.
    Your Annual ticket/card must be returned to Iarnród Éireann/Dublin Bus from your employer by Registered Post or Courier no later that 5th of the month.
    If you cancel your DART/Commuter Rail, Dublin Bus Only, Short Hop Rail & Dublin Bus, Rail & Luas or Dublin Bus & Luas ticket/card before eight months have expired then you may be due a refund on your ticket.
    If you cancel your Point-Point Intercity ticket before ten months have expired then you may be due a refund.
    Annual Tickets purchased through the taxsaver Commuter Scheme normally have employer conditions that can vary from company to company. It is advisable to seek clarification with your company administrator before seeking a refund.
    There is no refund given to Replacement Annual Tickets that were lost, stolen or destroyed during the year.
    Refunds on Annual Tickets will be calculated as follows: The cost of the appropriate Monthly Ticket multiplied by the number of months used is deducted from the amount paid for the Annual Ticket. There is no administration fee involved.

Just took that off the taxsaver website, so it looks like your employer can be refunded the majority of the ticket so hopefully they pass that benefit on to you and you receive some pay this month :-)

Yes - but it is up to the employer to decide whether they bother to do that or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

A short hop rail ticket through tax saver scheme is €109.34 per month if paying 20% tax.

Am I right in thinking it would cost me more than what I'm paying to leap at €100 per month if I got this tax saver ticket.

Where is the saving?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, if you're currently spending €100 a month, a ticket costing €109 will be more expensive. no saving for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭howiya

Phil.x wrote: »
    A short hop rail ticket through tax saver scheme is €109.34 per month if paying 20% tax.

Am I right in thinking it would cost me more than what I'm paying to leap at €100 per month if I got this tax saver ticket.

Where is the saving?

For the same ticket, the weekly cap on Leap is €37. So if you were reaching the cap there would be a saving. Most people don't though. If you do two journeys a day 5 days a week you won't hit the cap. The value is in the unlimited nature of the ticket and obviously if you were paying 40% there would be a saving on the price of the ticket.

Advertisement