Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving licence Category

Options
  • 15-04-2013 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

I am about to apply for a new licence. I have a B category licence for years, does anyone know what other categories I can apply for without the need to to do a test etc.

I presume that I can get a BE but can I apply for others

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Im also in the same boat, i have a B and want to put whatever i can on it. I think BE,W,AM is allowed, not sure A1,A2 are allowed. Maybe someone could inform us.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

onedmc wrote: »

I'm fairly sure you would need to do a test to have this put on it. Your B license already allows you to tow small trailers, maybe that's why you're thinking the BE can be put on without a test?
    fiestaman wrote: »
    Im also in the same boat, i have a B and want to put whatever i can on it. I think BE,W,AM is allowed, not sure A1,A2 are allowed. Maybe someone could inform us.

According to citizens information, if you have a B license that infers that you can hold a W license aswell without further testing.

A1 infers that you can hold an M license, and A infers that you can hold A, A1, and M.

If you have only a B license, the only other thing you can hold a license for without further testing is W.

Licence category [Categories covered]
    A1 [A1 and M]
    A [A, A1 and M]
    B [B and W]
    C1 [B, C1 and W]
    C [B, C, C1 and W]
    D1 [B, D1 and W]
    D [B, D, D1 and W]
    EB [B, EB and W]
    EC1 [B, C1, EB, EC1 and W]
    EC [B, C, C1, EB, EC, EC1 and W]
    ED1 [B, D1, EB, ED1 and W]
    ED [B, D, D1, EB, ED, ED1 and W]
    M [M]
    W [W]

• Registered Users Posts: 18,901 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

onedmc wrote: »
    I am about to apply for a new licence. I have a B category licence for years, does anyone know what other categories I can apply for without the need to to do a test etc.

It all depends on long ago you got your licence what extras you could get, note the could. W is standard on all B

They removed M in Oct 2006 and the BE, C1, D1 was removed in the late 80s/very early 90s.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that there is a limit on reclaiming lost entitlement. If you had an entitlement on your licence but didn't get it on a renewal then after a certain amount years it's lost and you need to start from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 holly231

hi i would really appreciate it if someone could help me out ??

i passed my truck test ( C licence ) in august 2012 and i have lost my certificate for passing it since, if i can not find it will i have to resit my test or can they give me a copy?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

holly231 wrote: »
    hi i would really appreciate it if someone could help me out ??

i passed my truck test ( C licence ) in august 2012 and i have lost my certificate for passing it since, if i can not find it will i have to resit my test or can they give me a copy?

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/After-you-pass/
    If you lose your certificate, send a statement certified by a Garda that you have lost the certificate to RSA’s Driver Testing Section and we will issue a duplicate.

Go to the link to download the SL5A form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 holly231

Thanks so much, ill do that so.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

Can someone help me out, on the new licence there is a category b1, now what is this for and any other info, this category is not on the application form?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

want2b wrote: »
    Can someone help me out, on the new licence there is a category b1, now what is this for and any other info, this category is not on the application form?

Never heard of it or seen it??:confused: Where did you hear this?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/categories_of_motor_vehicles_and_minimum_age_of_drivers_in_ireland.html

It on the licence.

It on the licence.

It states that it's for heavy quadricycles?
    http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-13-10_en.htm

• Advertisement

Its not on the application form, how do I get it and what vehicles does it cover,

Because there's no B1 test conducted by the RSA and the fact that B covers it. The same way the C category covers the C1.

But the fact it not dated on the licence means I'm not covered to drive such a vehicle, so I wonder how to fix this

plus this picture it shows is a van so I hope it doesn't mean a commercial vehicle in plain English

But the fact it not dated on the licence means I'm not covered to drive such a vehicle, so I wonder how to fix this

I have a full A and the A1,A2,Am aren't dated yet im still covered to drive them. As i said you are covered! If you're still in doubt ring the RSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It can't be dated on the licence, because Irish Law doesn't contain this category, which literally means that B1 doesn't exist in Ireland.
    The only reason why they put it on the driving licence category table, was probably to match the list of categories with EU.
    But there is no possibility that anyone will have this category dated on Irish licence before regulations will change.

Oh ok thanks for that

Advertisement