Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3rd Provisional

• 19-02-2012 10:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has already been posted hundred of times but i think my case is a little more complicated so i said i'd start a fresh.

Basically, i've had my 2 provisional licences but i'm recently have moved back to Ireland after 6 years on & off living in Spain.When my first expired i applied for a new one got it got insured and was driving away but this was around about the middle of my 6 years that i was coming & going. I haven't been home for 2 years now so my 2nd license is finished, but i lost that license anyway a few years back in Spain, i left it in the glove of a rented car (yes it was no problem renting a car in Spain on a provisional) Would i need this license to hand in when applying for a 3rd? I'm going to book a test as soon as i can so my question - when i do book my test can i just walk in receive a new provisional and start back driving again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

How long ago did your 2nd learners permit/provisional expire? If its 5 or more years old you will have to resit the theory test again I am afraid. Reapply to the 1st one then the 2nd learners permit.

Yes, if your 2nd provisional date hasn't expired, you can get a new one in the post but you have to go to the guards to let them know and cancel your original 2nd provisional. They'll send you out a new one I think.

You will need to hand in the 2nd provisional even if its expired before you can get the third provisional though the main requirement before applying for a third provisional/learners permit you will actually need to apply for a driving test, get the notification letter of your test date and prove to the Motor Tax Office you have applied but you can cancel your test afterwards. Though you will only be entitled to get the 3rd provisional valid for a year.

If you wish to extend your third provisional to be valid for up to two years, you can apply for your test, do it and fail and you can get your third learners permit valid for two years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

No my second year visa is expired about 2 years only just but as i said, i've lost that license, what can i do about this? If i explain will it be ok?:confused:

How long ago did you apply for your original 2nd provisional? its only valid for two years but if its under 5 years old you can go to the guards to cancel your original 2nd provisional as you misplaced it. They will send you out a new one but I don't know what they will do regarding expiration date once its under 5 years old they will issue a new one. Make sure you tell them when you first got your 2nd provisional they will have an idea if its expired or not and how old it is and as to whether they will issue a new 2nd provisional or not.

They might have a record of it though in the MOT office as to the expiration date they can check it up for you if you can't remember the dates. They can tell you as to whether you need to get a 2nd reissued, get a 3rd provisional as long as you have a notification letter stating you have applied for a test (as I said you can cancel the test after you have applied for your 3rd provisional).

If your 2nd provisional is 5 or more years old you will not be able to apply for a 3rd provisional and you will have to sit the theory test again, get the 1st provisional then the 2nd etc. Basically you have to start all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

No problems, as it's under 5 years since your license expired. If you get gardai to stamp form D8 A and send it in with you permit renewal application, you'll be fine.

As it's your third permit, you will need to book a driving test and provide them with proof of this in the form of a copy of the booking email/letter.

More info can be found here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/replacing_a_lost_or_stolen_irish_driving_licence.html?printpreview=1

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 45 abi sant clare

doovdela wrote: »
    How long ago did your 2nd learners permit/provisional expire? If its 5 or more years old you will have to resit the theory test again I am afraid. Reapply to the 1st one then the 2nd learners permit.

Yes, if your 2nd provisional date hasn't expired, you can get a new one in the post but you have to go to the guards to let them know and cancel your original 2nd provisional. They'll send you out a new one I think.

You will need to hand in the 2nd provisional even if its expired before you can get the third provisional though the main requirement before applying for a third provisional/learners permit you will actually need to apply for a driving test, get the notification letter of your test date and prove to the Motor Tax Office you have applied but you can cancel your test afterwards. Though you will only be entitled to get the 3rd provisional valid for a year.

If you wish to extend your third provisional to be valid for up to two years, you can apply for your test, do it and fail and you can get your third learners permit valid for two years.

I'm also applying for a third learners permit, i can't afford all the lessons first and then a test until i finish college anyway (next May) Do you know the way you said apply for the test and then cancel and the permit will last you a year, will i lose out on the €180 it costs to do a test, because i dont think you can book it without paying, or can you? Thanks

• Advertisement

I'm also applying for a third learners permit, i can't afford all the lessons first and then a test until i finish college anyway (next May) Do you know the way you said apply for the test and then cancel and the permit will last you a year, will i lose out on the €180 it costs to do a test, because i dont think you can book it without paying, or can you? Thanks

You need to apply for your test before getting a third learners permit. Just have proof of the date of acknowledgement you applied and be sitting it whether or not you do.

No you won't loose the fee which is €85 when I last sat the test. If its your first time cancelling and that you cancel your test up to 10 days/two weeks before the test you get your fee back if it too late you won't get it back.

Check it with the RSA to be sure. It be in the rules of the road book anyway I say or look online. You can get your third learner permit and cancel the test as soon as you get the 3rd learner permit. Think you can cancel up to two times but after that you probably loose your fee for sure. You'll have to book it and pay though unfortunately but you get your fee back if you 1st time cancelling it and cancel it within the time frame stated before the test date, you get your test fee back then.

Alternatively ring RSA and book a test date for next Summer you have something to work towards they give you a date you want I say. You could do that online I think. I am not sure I applied online before but I said I go with what ever date available any ways I have to sit it again and hope to pick my own date so stating what dates I am not available and pick my date that way I think. I'll apply soon anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Similary I have been abroad and now realise I need to get a third license. The motor tax people said that I need to book a test, fill in new fom, stamped by gardai, get third license, then cancel test within 10 days(wink wink unofficial). Did I get that in the right order? And thankfully they said I didn't need to repeat the theory test :) I'm nor sure I even have the 2nd license anymore , will that be an issue ? Please clarify , thank you !

Found 2nd license ! No need for gardai then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Similary I have been abroad and now realise I need to get a third license. The motor tax people said that I need to book a test, fill in new fom, stamped by gardai, get third license, then cancel test within 10 days(wink wink unofficial). Did I get that in the right order? And thankfully they said I didn't need to repeat the theory test :) I'm nor sure I even have the 2nd license anymore , will that be an issue ? Please clarify , thank you !

Found 2nd license ! No need for gardai then?
    Exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Sorry to drag this up again.

"If its your first time cancelling and that you cancel your test up to 10 days/two weeks before the test you get your fee back if it too late you won't get it back."

Is this ten working days? I just got notification on Friday evening for a test on May 3rd. When do I need to cancel it by? I had to book the test to in order to apply for a 3rd license. Or do I have to await the actual drivers license? I'm dropping the form and proof of test in the morning. Help please :o

Advertisement