Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike on Luas

• 06-02-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭

I know the bye laws say otherwise but has anyone managed to be able to take bike on the luas at off peak times?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

2 friends tried it. Got told to get off. Seems stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I wish they would allow it, only on the green line mind, your bike would get nicked on the red line. [/sweeping generalisation]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Mr.S wrote: »
    Why would it seem stupid? at off-peak times it doesn't really matter at all..
    Maybe I read it wrong but I thought that comment meant it was stupid to ask them to get off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why would you want to bring a bike on the Luas? The routes the Luas mirror aren't that hilly and the bike most likely will be quicker.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Del2005 wrote: »
    Why would you want to bring a bike on the Luas? The routes the Luas mirror aren't that hilly and the bike most likely will be quicker.

You might want to take your bike to the start of a bike trail head. For instance the southern end of the red line is quiet close to the Dublin mountains and some great biking trails.

You might also want to start/complete a journey on the bike.

I bring my bike on the DART off peak all the time, as do many friends and it is a great utility. I wish we could do the same on the Luas and it is really mad that it isn't allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

Del2005 wrote: »

Bike times and Luas times would be similar if the bike is OK, but if the bike has some mechanical issue like a badly buckled wheel it would be very handy to be able to hop on to public transport rather than having to arrange private transport, walk/carry the bike home or fix the problem on the spot. I've sometimes brought my bike on trains and buses when I had some sort of unexpected technical problem I couldn't deal with on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

bk wrote: »
    You might want to take your bike to the start of a bike trail head. For instance the southern end of the red line is quiet close to the Dublin mountains and some great biking trails.

You might also want to start/complete a journey on the bike.

I bring my bike on the DART off peak all the time, as do many friends and it is a great utility. I wish we could do the same on the Luas and it is really mad that it isn't allowed.

Trouble is, the Luas is much more cramped that the DART.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

tawnyowl wrote: »
    Trouble is, the Luas is much more cramped that the DART.

But at off peak times, there is still plenty of space for one or two bikes. There leave bikes on other similar trams (off peak) in other european cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

But at off peak times, there is still plenty of space for one or two bikes. There leave bikes on other similar trams (off peak) in other european cities.

I would imagine space is not the issue, it is the old health and safety and leaving yourself open to being sued when/if someone falls over a bike or a bike falls on top of them.
    The operator hasn't provided anywhere to securely park or secure a bike so it is just easier to not let them at all.

cdebru wrote: »
    I would imagine space is not the issue, it is the old health and safety and leaving yourself open to being sued when/if someone falls over a bike or a bike falls on top of them.
    The operator hasn't provided anywhere to securely park or secure a bike so it is just easier to not let them at all.

But doesn't the same situation exist on the DART (no bike parking facilities), yet they allow bikes.

• Advertisement

But doesn't the same situation exist on the DART (no bike parking facilities), yet they allow bikes.

Joys of a semi state that was a political decision, Ciaran Cuffe I beleive .

Besides that the dart is a different animal really in regards to space, size and off peak loading etc

Joys of a semi state that was a political decision, Ciaran Cuffe I beleive .

Besides that the dart is a different animal really in regards to space, size and off peak loading etc

And a great decision. Also, given the Luas is also owned by the government, no reason they can't also make the same decision there.

As I've said, other countries such as Berlin allow bikes on exactly the same type of trams.

And a great decision. Also, given the Luas is also owned by the government, no reason they can't also make the same decision there.

As I've said, other countries such as Berlin allow bikes on exactly the same type of trams.

But operated by a private company. How is luas insured is it self insured similar to CIE or is it privately insured ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

But operated by a private company. How is luas insured is it self insured similar to CIE or is it privately insured ?

It's insured through The Turf Club apparently.......;)

http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0917/728543-horse-luas/

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement