Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving to Westport from Dublin

• 11-02-2014 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi,

I have to drive to Westport on Friday evening from Dublin.

Google Maps tells me it's a marginally shorter distance to drive along the M4 and N5 but I'm wondering would I actually be quicker driving on the M6 to Galway and then taking the Headford Road up to Westport?

Advice would be appreciated! I can only leave around 6pm on Friday so I'd be keen to minimise the length of time driving at night and on poor roads as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

GusherING wrote: »
    Hi,

I have to drive to Westport on Friday evening from Dublin.

Google Maps tells me it's a marginally shorter distance to drive along the M4 and N5 but I'm wondering would I actually be quicker driving on the M6 to Galway and then taking the Headford Road up to Westport?

Advice would be appreciated! I can only leave around 6pm on Friday so I'd be keen to minimise the length of time driving at night and on poor roads as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

You have a few options to hand. If time is off the essence then M6 is a lot quicker time wise. Take it and head to Headford, Ballinrobe and take the left at Partry and that's it. Bear in mind that you have a toll booth at Ballinasloe and Galway can be slow at times

Another alternative is to head to Athlone and then the N 60 to Roscommon and either head onwards to Tulsk and the N 5 or you can head to Castlerea, Claremorris and Castlebar. Or if you are feeling mad, you take the N17 to Tuam and Claremorris and onwards to Castlebar and Westport.

Given the recent improvements on the N 5, it has improved a lot time wise though the sections from Strokestown to Ballaghadereen and Mullingar-Longfond can drag a little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Another alternative is to head to Athlone and then the N 60 to Roscommon and either head onwards to Tulsk and the N 5 or you can head to Castlerea, Claremorris and Castlebar.

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just make sure you avoid Galway / Claregalway and Tuam between 5pm and 7pm. :)

Advertisement