Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JCB commuter - rant

• 06-02-2014 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Every morning between 8am and 8.30am there is a a JCB that drives all the way up Collins Ave through Glasnevin Avenue to Ballygall Rd West and finally turns left onto N2 heading toward city centre. This appears not to be a case of transporting goods to a site, this appears to be a worker using the work vehicle to commute. At the fastest he drives 30km p/h and he adds to the delays at each set of lights on what is already a seriously congested route. It's frustrating but I don't think he's breaking any laws - or is he????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭_MadRa_

Mayhaps he has no overnight parking where he is operating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

He is going to work...if he left earlier or later he would just be holding up a different set of people. So long as his vehicle is road-legal he is entitled to do this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

How would he be braking laws? Once it's taxed and insured he's entitled to drive where he wants bar motorways and buslanes. Get a grip.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I've seen a JCB driving in a bus lane. There were two other lanes on the dual carraige way. It was an 80Km zone.

I've seen a JCB driving in a bus lane. There were two other lanes on the dual carraige way. It was an 80Km zone.

illegal but sensible in it that it would delay less people.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't do it. Your not a bus so you shouldn't be in the bus lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

micraX wrote: »
    I wouldn't do it. Your not a bus so you shouldn't be in the bus lane.

Depends on the time, I drove in a bus lane this morning at 06:30 and i wasn't breaking the law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Turty3 wrote: »
    Every morning between 8am and 8.30am there is a a JCB that drives all the way up Collins Ave through Glasnevin Avenue to Ballygall Rd West and finally turns left onto N2 heading toward city centre. This appears not to be a case of transporting goods to a site, this appears to be a worker using the work vehicle to commute. At the fastest he drives 30km p/h and he adds to the delays at each set of lights on what is already a seriously congested route. It's frustrating but I don't think he's breaking any laws - or is he????

What's the problem? He's probably bringing it back to a depot every evening to prevent vandalism, you should leave earlier in the morning to avoid any irritation caused by this man going to work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

The OP mentions the top speed the JCB is doing is 30Kph, the top speed for a JCB is 56Kph so maybe the JCB driver is just a careful driver. Tbh I think 30Kph is a fair speed for a seriously congested route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

A lot of this driving has been banned on some roads. Report the guy to the Gardaí and they will sort it out. It might take a few days and ask your friends and fellow commuters to report the problem as well.

• Advertisement

vektarman wrote: »
    The OP mentions the top speed the JCB is doing is 30Kph, the top speed for a JCB is 56Kph so maybe the JCB driver is just a careful driver. Tbh I think 30Kph is a fair speed for a seriously congested route.

Op is just pissed off because the JCB driver dares to slow him/her down on their drive to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I have seen a Tractor on the middle lane of the M4 when it was empty doing 60kph.
    Those 4 wheel drive types can go faster than the old style Massey Fergusons but still.......

Leftmost lane would be nice.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've been caught by him a few times as well, he goes from the N2 through Phibsborough as well.
    Luckily traffic is slow moving mostly, but on the odd morning like this morning where the there was little traffic, he would certainly be impacting progregression.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

doolox wrote: »
    I have seen a Tractor on the middle lane of the M4 when it was empty doing 60kph.
    Those 4 wheel drive types can go faster than the old style Massey Fergusons but still.......

Leftmost lane would be nice.
    Middle lane is a complete no-no unless actively overtaking

but driving at more than 50Kmph is enough

but not on a W license though , and are there any motor tax implications because it's no longer a work vehicle ?

Red Nissan wrote: »
    A lot of this driving has been banned on some roads. Report the guy to the Gardaí and they will sort it out. It might take a few days and ask your friends and fellow commuters to report the problem as well.

Why is it banned? He's everyright to drive on the road. I draw veg to the Dublin market in a tractor and trailer all the time. With a 40k gearbox you keep up with the traffic no bother, plus its safer as you can see well as your higher up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

but not on a W license though , and are there any motor tax implications because it's no longer a work vehicle ?

You are allowed to move a tractor or a work vehicle from site to site on public roads using such a classification.

You are allowed to move a tractor or a work vehicle from site to site on public roads using such a classification.
    But I would have assumed that only applies if you use it as a work vehicle instead of driving over 50Kmph on a Motorway

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle%20Std%20Leg/Consultations/Agri%20Report.pdf
    "Work vehicle" means a vehicle (other than a land tractor) which has a maximum design speed not exceeding 40
    km/h and which is constructed primarily for any work other than the conveyance by road of goods or burden of
    any other description.

some more to look up
    S.I. No. 537 of 2006, Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) Regulations.
    S.I. No. 190 of 1963, Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) Regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Where would all the roads be if it were not for Mr JCB man?

Someone said it is illegal to drive a JCB on the motorways, can they explain why please?

The majority of these work vehicles are fully taxed and insured as work vehicles but also as road going vehicles the same as your cars and vans otherwise they would not be permitted onto the public roads at all not even whilst being loaded onto transporters!

If a driver has only got a W licence chances are he/she will not be allowed drive more than a mixer on any site. Most employees insist on a full clean C or even D licence. With health and safety being so important and strict nobody can take a chance on a site being closed because an employee does not have a proper licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 los3112

What are you on about, the Gardai wont go near him if the machine is taxed and insured and why should they. Its a fellow trying to make living.

Middle lane is a complete no-no unless actively overtaking

but driving at more than 50Kmph is enough

These machines being work vehicles means very little as far as their entitlement to be on the roads and motorways. Trucks are also work vehicles.

When a JCB or dumper etc moves from a site to the public road it is still a work vehicle, it does not suddenly get classified as something else and someone with a W licence is entitled to drive on any dual carriageway or road apart from a motorway. As most of the drivers of these work vehicles will have a full C or D licence they will also be entitled to drive on the motorways.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    As most of the drivers of these work vehicles will have a full C or D licence they will also be entitled to drive on the motorways.

Depends on the road and if the work is on the motorway. Otherwise there are restrictions on vehicles on certain roads and the Gardaí do and have prosecuted nuisance cases ~ such was the guy driving a loader fork lift every morning and taking it through the Jack Lynch Tunnel, locally.

The license is somewhat irrelevant, it's the restrictions that may be in place on the vehicle ~ this subject comes up a lot in the cycle forums where one bylaw allows access to otherwise restricted roadways.

micraX wrote: »
    Why is it banned? He's everyright to drive on the road.

The way the OP described the road usage may be in contravention of the allowance. IE the commute. I think you should find that commute is the pivotal word and all other rights are not in question.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've been caught by him a few times as well, he goes from the N2 through Phibsborough as well.
    Luckily traffic is slow moving mostly, but on the odd morning like this morning where the there was little traffic, he would certainly be impacting progregression.

you'd prefer he stuck to busier times then?

corktina wrote: »

No they want him to drive it at 4 AM when there is no traffic :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

corktina wrote: »

He doesn't bother me, I'm not complaining, just commenting that I have seen the same JCB that the OP has seen.
    bumper234 wrote: »
    No they want him to drive it at 4 AM when there is no traffic :)

I go into driving through city traffic with the expectation that there will be delays. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

The way the OP described the road usage may be in contravention of the allowance. IE the commute. I think you should find that commute is the pivotal word and all other rights are not in question.

Even if he is commuting and we don't know that he is what "allowance" has he contraviened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Not sure if it's illegal for Mr. JCB to drive slowly, but he'd fail his driving test for it

Appropriate speed:
    •Crawls along at slow speeds on clear roads.
    •Makes no attempt to achieve maximum speeds for the road when safe to do so.
    •Reduces speed excessively when the conditions do not merit doing so.
    •Makes slow progress through the gears in normal driving.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Not sure if it's illegal for Mr. JCB to drive slowly, but he'd fail his driving test for it

Appropriate speed:
    Iv driven a couple of jcbs and 30 K,s is about flat out and would be an appropriate speed for the the circumstances described.

Seems appropriate.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Appropriate speed:

He's not doing a test. If I wanted to I could drive my car at 30km/h all the time, as the RSA is so found of saying it's a limit not a target, even on a motorway as it can exceed 50km/h

Del2005 wrote: »
    He's not doing a test. If I wanted to I could drive my car at 30km/h all the time, as the RSA is so found of saying it's a limit not a target, even on a motorway as it can exceed 50km/h

Have you ever been in a 180 doing 30 kph, its not very comfortable, you can't always reach maximum speed and when you do you need perfect road surfaces, it's taxed its insured and road legal, he's entitled to drive any road in the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

whupdedo wrote: »
    Have you ever been in a 180 doing 30 kph, its not very comfortable, you can't always reach maximum speed and when you do you need perfect road surfaces, it's taxed its insured and road legal, he's entitled to drive any road in the country

Where did I say anything about not being allowed drive a JCB on the road? He could drive at 5km/h if he wanted to once it's taxed and insured.

He can't drive any road in the country, if it's not geared to exceed 50km/h he can't drive on a motorway.

Where did I say anything about not being allowed drive a JCB on the road? He could drive at 5km/h if he wanted to once it's taxed and insured.

He can't drive any road in the country, if it's not geared to exceed 50km/h he can't drive on a motorway.

I agree fully, i think I may have misconstrued your previous post :(:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

He's not doing a test.
    "he'd" is an abbreviation for "he would", indicating a hypothetical situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

"he'd" is an abbreviation for "he would", indicating a hypothetical situation
    why would he fail a driving test, if you have a vehicle that can only do X kph, then you cannot fail for not doing a speed greater than that. Also, re: gearing, if he's driving in top gear, and it sounds like he is, then where is he supposed to find these extra gears to go faster from?

In fact, you're more likely to fail a test, if you're driving the vehicle, at speeds close to or at, it's limit.

It's legal to drive on any road in this state, in a JCB, unless there's a posted notice prohibiting vehicles in it's class, such as Motorway restrictions on slow vehicles. If the OP is so annoyed by this driver, maybe they should change their route to work to avoid stress.

Advertisement