Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Being overtaken while speeding up?

Options
  • 12-04-2013 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I understand that in the normal flow of things, if you are being overtaken you maintain your position and speed.

I had previously thought it was my obligation to remain at a constant speed every time I was being overtaken, but a lot of drivers seem to enjoy overtaking just before speed signs, you know, at the point just before you would begin speeding up normally. Ok, that's fine, I can deal with a few impatient people, I don't mind not accelerating to the limit until they are safely past me.

However, today someone was really chancing their arm and tried to overtake me after I had come to a stop to allow a car in front of me to complete a right turn. This was a 100km/h road with double solid whites, and was on a bend.

Before the car in front of me had even left the right hand side of the road, the car behind me was over the white line ready to go, but I accelerated as I normally would and she pulled back in.

Don't get me wrong here, I wasn't racing to stop the overtake, but as I said, I was completely stationary on a 100km/h road just past a bend, and I wanted to get moving asap.

Did I do the right thing?

Is it ok to move up to the expected speed when passing a speed sign as if you were not being overtaken? Surely they would know you are about to speed up as soon as you hit the sign, why would they choose this time to complete an overtake?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Hi guys,

I understand that in the normal flow of things, if you are being overtaken you maintain your position and speed.

I had previously thought it was my obligation to remain at a constant speed every time I was being overtaken, but a lot of drivers seem to enjoy overtaking just before speed signs, you know, at the point just before you would begin speeding up normally. Ok, that's fine, I can deal with a few impatient people, I don't mind not accelerating to the limit until they are safely past me.

However, today someone was really chancing their arm and tried to overtake me after I had come to a stop to allow a car in front of me to complete a right turn. This was a 100km/h road with double solid whites, and was on a bend.

Before the car in front of me had even left the right hand side of the road, the car behind me was over the white line ready to go, but I accelerated as I normally would and she pulled back in.

Don't get me wrong here, I wasn't racing to stop the overtake, but as I said, I was completely stationary on a 100km/h road just past a bend, and I wanted to get moving asap.

Did I do the right thing?

Is it ok to move up to the expected speed when passing a speed sign as if you were not being overtaken? Surely they would know you are about to speed up as soon as you hit the sign, why would they choose this time to complete an overtake?

IMHO reason why someone overtakes you is quite irrelevant.
    It's your obligation to make sure you don't accelerate while being overtakes, so it applies also to case you described you were stopped.
    If you were stopped and someone started overtaking manouver, you shuoldn't be accelerating before he finish overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

CiniO wrote: »
    It's your obligation to make sure you don't accelerate while being overtakes, so it applies also to case you described you were stopped.
    If you were stopped and someone started overtaking manouver, you shuoldn't be accelerating before he finish overtaking.

I wasn't stopped at the time, I had just set off and was accelerating back up to the 100km ASAP when she decided she would give the (Dangerous, double whites and corner ahead) overtake a shot. There was a Bend behind me and a bend infront of me, and I wasn't prepared to drive at 10km/h for the extra 3-4 seconds and potentially be rear ended just because someone couldn't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

CiniO wrote: »
    On the other hand, it's madness for the OP to be sitting stopped in the middle of a road just after a bend - he/she has a duty of care to him/herself and whoever is coming around the bend behind them and is not expecting a stopped car to be there. I'd put my safety and that of the innocent ahead of an idiot overtaking at a crazy location.

Advertisement