Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving lessons to get Automatic Licence?

Options
  • 18-04-2013 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi,

I was just wondering if I need to do the 12 hours of driving lessons before I can sit a test to get a license for an automatic car only?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You still need to do the 12 lessons (as part of the EDT) if you have received your first Learner Permit on or after April 4th 2011.

It's worth noting that if you do your test in an automatic car, your licence will be restricted to automatic cars only.

It might be worth your while to do your lessons in a manual car, and then the test in a manual. It's not much more difficult once you get used to the gears, and even if you drive an automatic for the rest of your life, your licence will be unrestricted which will make it easier for driving somebody else's car / a rental car/ etc.

Advertisement