Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830

• 04-11-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

I'm looking to get this phone aswel - can't really find any reviews online

It loooks great though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

The first thing that jumps out about this is the internal memory 158mb is nothing with the OS taking up part of that you won't fit to many apps on it , not big ones anyway

(Sorry to hijack your thread OP)

I saw that alright... I like everything else about the phone.. This might be the stupidest question ever but can you run apps from an external SD card?

apart from that
    i love the screen size,
    camera is decent at 5mp with flash
    battery life isnt too bad - its 420 hours standby and 6 hours talktime,

atm i have a sh1tty samsung cobble (!) but it has a MONSTER battery - It survived 5 days of electric picnic, with me making calls all day every day (I was doing some work there) so that's my benchmark - and that was 550 hrs standby and 9 hrs talktime. obv not taking internet/apps etc into consideration, but still....

Ainekav wrote: »

I saw that alright... I like everything else about the phone.. This might be the stupidest question ever but can you run apps from an external SD card?

apart from that
    i love the screen size,

atm i have a sh1tty samsung cobble (!) but it has a MONSTER battery - It survived 5 days of electric picnic, with me making calls all day every day (I was doing some work there) so that's my benchmark - and that was 550 hrs standby and 9 hrs talktime. obv not taking internet/apps etc into consideration, but still....

You can transfer apps to the sd, but a portion of the app has to stay on the phone, the size of the portion depends on the app. I have a HTC Desire, it comes with 568mb ( I think) and within a few weeks I was getting messages saying I was running low on space. You also have to factor in network bloatware, which often can't be moved to the SD card.

Would the galaxy s work out much more expensive than this?

• Advertisement

Well I'm gonna move to billpay on meteor and the ace is 99 and there's no option for the S on billpay, but the S plus is 150.

I heard the S is an old phone and was crap

Havent heard anything about S plus - I'm presuming its the same - 8Gigs of internal, is that the one?

I'm coming to the conclusion that if I want a decent phone I have to move to bill pay

any other suggestions?
    I'm not getting an LG, they are horrendous

just looking at galaxy S plus here

Battery life, memory and form are significantly better than the ace

thinking i might go for that instead

hopefully the 'plus' in the name means its a far cry from the S which i heard wasnt great at all at all

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rasb

I have this phone for about two months. It is my first android so I cant compare with other phones. That said I think it is a very good phone for the price.

Most (but not all) apps can be installed onto the SD card and the SD card that comes with the phone (2GB) is enough to get started.

On the plus side
    Budget end/mid range android phone (I was looking for a bill pay with low calls and unlimited data and 3 have a good package at €25pm)
    good size and good resolution screen
    good camera (still and video)
    runs android 2.3.3 (I think some budget phones are stuck on earlier versions)

On the negative side
    Poor battery life - I need to recharge everyday
    Phone noticeably slows if there a number of apps running the background.

Overall I am very happy with the phone and would recommend it if you are not planning to multitask with several open apps.

A quick look through the Meteor page

Samsung Galaxy W,https://phones.meteor.ie/phones/samsung_galaxy_w/#tech-specs-tab
    at 1.4ghz a pretty nippy processor, and the resolution on the screen doesn't look to bad either.

and the slightly more expensive HTC Desire s https://phones.meteor.ie/phones/htc_desire_s/#tech-specs-tab
    which features a nice 1gb internal, along with the excellent gorilla glass display to keep it looking brand new for longer and a solid feeling metal chassis

I wouldn't call myself an expert in this field, but both look decent to me. I'd encourage you to have a look through independent reviews yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

It's a very, very good mid-range phone. Does pretty much everything and doesn't make a big deal of it.

Obviously underpowered in comparison to the higher end of the Galaxy family (I had a SGS until I broke the screen), but hard to notice unless you're mad into gaming. Day to day apps won't fail you.

Internal memory is its biggest downfall however, even though a lot of apps can be moved to SD, between the OS and the core apps, you have very little room to store contacts, messages etc (especially if you use facebook contact sync and it pulls in all your profile photos).

That said, I'd highly recommend it as a phone. Use Juice Defender to switch off data when not in use and switch to wifi where available and you should get a good day and a half on battery. For the price, I don't think there's anything else as good available.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million guys - and seriously Veles, sorry for the hijack!!

Ok Nolimits, just had a look at the W - the battery is v poor, 5 hours talktime and 370 standby, and the internal memory is only 4mb!

dunno why its more expensive than the ace - can someone explain that!

Ron, the memory thing would annoy me, I hate running out of space with contacts/messages - the piece of **** I have at the minute is wrecking my head.

This is my birthday present so I think I will do some more research, but I might spring for the S Plus and make it my Birthday/half-xmas present haha!
    What did you think of the SGS and can anyone tell me the diff between it and the SGS Plus?

What did you think of the SGS and can anyone tell me the diff between it and the SGS Plus?

Main differences are that the SGS+ has a faster processor, a slighter better battery, and 16gb internal as opposed to 8gb.

Visually, they are identical, put the two side by side and you won't notice any difference.

If you're looking to spoil yourself however, why not go one better and take a look at the SGS2, or even the Galaxy Nexus (only on Vodafone for now as far as I know).

My friend has the S2 and its a gorgeous phone but that's way above my present budget and any additional budget I would be able to contribute...

I think the S plus is the one for me.
    I'll go in during the week and have a proper look and a feel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

apart from that
    i love the screen size,

I have Link2SD running on mine (requires root) so I have added an extra 250mb of space with a EXT3 partition on my SD.

I've had the phone since March and at this stage, if 3G internet is used for any significant period of time during the day(say 20 minutes or more a day), I have to nurse it to the end of the day. I used use Juice Defender but it was exacerbating a wifi driver issue.
    Ron DMC wrote: »
    It's a very, very good mid-range phone. Does pretty much everything and doesn't make a big deal of it.

Obviously underpowered in comparison to the higher end of the Galaxy family (I had a SGS until I broke the screen), but hard to notice unless you're mad into gaming. Day to day apps won't fail you.

Internal memory is its biggest downfall however, even though a lot of apps can be moved to SD, between the OS and the core apps, you have very little room to store contacts, messages etc (especially if you use facebook contact sync and it pulls in all your profile photos).

That said, I'd highly recommend it as a phone. Use Juice Defender to switch off data when not in use and switch to wifi where available and you should get a good day and a half on battery. For the price, I don't think there's anything else as good available.
    Day to day apps won't fail you, but I find they can be laggy starting up at times. That could be down to Link2SD though. I think maybe a factory reset may be in need.

How do you find Juice Defender on it? Did it cause you any issues with a WiFi error, requiring a restart?

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I have Link2SD running on mine (requires root) so I have added an extra 250mb of space with a EXT3 partition on my SD.
    Sounds useful. Must give that a go.
    How do you find Juice Defender on it? Did it cause you any issues with a WiFi error, requiring a restart?
    No problems at all. Used it before on the SGS and I've never had any issues. Occasionally if the phone stalls and requires a full reboot, I need to re-enable data manually once it starts up, but not often. No problem at all with wifi, but I don't use the wifi settings in JuiceDefender anyway, only the data controls.

Thanks a million guys - and seriously Veles, sorry for the hijack!!

Ok Nolimits, just had a look at the W - the battery is v poor, 5 hours talktime and 370 standby, and the internal memory is only 4mb!

dunno why its more expensive than the ace - can someone explain that!

Ron, the memory thing would annoy me, I hate running out of space with contacts/messages - the piece of **** I have at the minute is wrecking my head.

This is my birthday present so I think I will do some more research, but I might spring for the S Plus and make it my Birthday/half-xmas present haha!

4mb is ridiculous, I did a google of the specs and it said 512mb internal with a 4gb card, would be worth checking out for sure but I think it's a mistake.

I noticed the battery aswell, its 1500mah which is quite large, bigger than my desire, some further research may be required but I'd be surprised if it's as bad as they say (galaxy nexus is 1750mah with a far larger screen, which is usually what takes up most of the power and they advertise 12 hours talk time)

4mb is ridiculous, I did a google of the specs and it said 512mb internal with a 4gb card, would be worth checking out for sure but I think it's a mistake.

Yeah, checked it again, it's a type on meteor website - says 4mb but it's actually 2GB

OK so that's also in the running...

GAH decisions decisions

Advertisement