Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Data retrieval from smashed phone

• 30-08-2011 6:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭

Hi -

I had a Samsung Europa that I broke screen on this morning - Does anyone know of any way of getting the numbers from it????

It fell from roof level and the screen is completely shot, and the wee bracket that holds the sim card in place is not in great shape.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Al....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Are you not syncing to Facebook or google?

https://www.facebook.com/friends/edit/?sk=phonebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

subway wrote: »
    Are you not syncing to Facebook or google?

https://www.facebook.com/friends/edit/?sk=phonebook

Thats just people on facebook who've filled in the Phone Number field in their profile! There's numbers in there from Pubs and Nightclubs that I don't have the numbers of on my phone!

alproctor, if your numbers arent on your phone, and they arent on your SIM, then I'm not sure what you can do.

How handy are you with command line in Windows? You might be able to get the address book using ADB.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Thats just people on facebook who've filled in the Phone Number field in their profile!
    Wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

OK, well that's me convinced!

Not here to convince you.... :)
    Trying to help the op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Thats just people on facebook who've filled in the Phone Number field in their profile! There's numbers in there from Pubs and Nightclubs that I don't have the numbers of on my phone!

alproctor, if your numbers arent on your phone, and they arent on your SIM, then I'm not sure what you can do.

How handy are you with command line in Windows? You might be able to get the address book using ADB.

Yeah I have the same sinking feeling that i've lost everything - I'm very new to android, and haven't synched......

And OK - excuse my ignorance, but ADB is????

Setting it up is enough to sync to google servers. Check your Gmail account also

Or what about kies, will the phone power on?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

did you have a micro sd card, check for data on it

connect via usb - on the off chance you can still press part of the screen,

if the screen is locked and can't be unlocked then it's not supposed to be easy to recover info from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭charlesh

did you have a micro sd card, check for data on it

connect via usb - on the off chance you can still press part of the screen,

if the screen is locked and can't be unlocked then it's not supposed to be easy to recover info from it

If your screen is smashed just take the micro sd out and use an adapter to connect to your laptop . That's your photos etc. When you sign in on your new phone you will be asked if you want all your apps downloaded. ... So your sorted on that too ..... Anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

If you set it up with a google account when you first got the phone, have you tried going to the contacts section of GMail to see what is there?

Knasher wrote: »
    If you set it up with a google account when you first got the phone, have you tried going to the contacts section of GMail to see what is there?

Yeah tried that - nothing there - i mustn't have set it up with my google account - thought i did, but apparetly not!

:(

alproctor wrote: »
    Yeah tried that - nothing there - i mustn't have set it up with my google account - thought i did, but apparetly not!

:(

That is unfortunate. As somebody mentioned ADB is a possibility, but only if the phone still turns on (obviously without the screen) and you had enabled USB debugging.

Yes that is unfortunate - especially as I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about!!!!!!
    :D

Yes that is unfortunate - especially as I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about!!!!!!
    :D

Okay, so ADB is a program you can run on your computer which allows you to send commands to your phone over USB. However as this is a security hole it is something you have to choose to enable in one of the menus on the phone.

If you had it enabled then you may be able to start a program on your phone that would allow you to interact with it in much the same way as you normally would using a computer.

However as you don't know what it is, it is a reasonable assumption that you never chose to enable it. In that case there really isn't a whole lot you can do. Assuming your phone still turns on (although obviously without the screen) I have heard of people enabling usb debugging on their phones by getting somebody else with the same phone as them to tell them how to navigate to the usb debugging option via the buttons at the bottom of the phone, and if you could do that then maybe, but it is a long shot.

You still haven't said by the way, does the phone still turn on?

yes i can turn it on!

yes i can turn it on!

Okay next question:
    1. My phone vibrates when I unlock it, if yours does the same you should be able to make the same gesture you normally would on the screen and feel it vibrate.

2. Head over to XDA, you should get better advice over there in general, as well as being able to ask somebody for specific directions on how to navigate to the usb debugging enable screen.

3. You could always google "usb debugging broken screen", the first answer is actually somebody with a different phone trying to do what I'm suggesting you attempt.

4. I'd assume you were aware of this, but better safe than sorry. Older phones used to save phone numbers to the sim card, so if you took the sim from an old phone to the android and got the numbers that way, then by taking the sim to a new phone you still have the same numbers.

Advertisement