Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Market place down?

Options
  • 04-04-2011 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Just got myself a Desire today and I'm trying to get some more apps for it. Everything works fine except for the Android Market app, it just keeps saying an error has occurred and try again later. I can log into it on my laptop so the site seems fine but my Desire won't connect to it so I can't register the device to it.

I can watch youtube, check my gmail through my Desire fine, not sure what the issue is, is it my phone or Google. Bit of a downer coming from an iPhone that everything just worked. I was looking for an o2 app like what the iPhone has to check my usage but nothing like it seems to exist for Android yet. The o2 site is slow and awkward to use compared to that very handy app.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

3G watchdog is an awesome app that keeps track of data usage if that's any good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

scudzilla wrote: »
    3G watchdog is an awesome app that keeps track of data usage if that's any good

I'll check it out if I ever manage to get my Desire to actually connect to the Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Try the market on your PC. You can install apps from 'the cloud' without having to go near the market on your phone. I rarely use the market on my phone now except to check for updates.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Try the market on your PC. You can install apps from 'the cloud' without having to go near the market on your phone. I rarely use the market on my phone now except to check for updates.

Thing is my phone is not registered to the market. It's a catch 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Thing is my phone is not registered to the market. It's a catch 22.

Ah ****e,never thought of that. Sorry.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Just got myself a Desire today and I'm trying to get some more apps for it. Everything works fine except for the Android Market app, it just keeps saying an error has occurred and try again later. I can log into it on my laptop so the site seems fine but my Desire won't connect to it so I can't register the device to it.

I can watch youtube, check my gmail through my Desire fine, not sure what the issue is, is it my phone or Google. Bit of a downer coming from an iPhone that everything just worked. I was looking for an o2 app like what the iPhone has to check my usage but nothing like it seems to exist for Android yet. The o2 site is slow and awkward to use compared to that very handy app.

Try logging in using Google Talk. Sometimes doing that can kick-start the market. The developer market site is foobar atm but I do not think there is anything up with end user facing parts.

psinno wrote: »
    Try logging in using Google Talk. Sometimes doing that can kick-start the market. The developer market site is foobar atm but I do not think there is anything up with end user facing parts.

I think that there is. It has been wonky too, not as wonky as the dev site but still not 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Are you connecting over wifi or 3g? turn off whichever one ur not using.

Just won't work at all. TBH, with the amount of hassle and issues and work arounds I'm having to do and try I'm strongly considering going back to the iPhone and I can't believe I'm having those thoughts.

The Desire itself is just a pain to get in and out of things. I don't know how to close apps, can't figure that out. They keep running when I go back the menue. Music, video etc keeps on playing. It's doing my nut in. The battery life is pure chronic. I can't find any options to adjust the screen brightness or select which apps collect data in the back round, it's all or nothing from what I can see.

The phone just will not access market place to register it. I can't get it to work under 3G, it's either Edge or that H... whatever mode.

If I can get the battery to last 6-8 hours and get rid of Sense and just have a pure Android install, I think I'll be happy. And if someone with a degree in telecommunications can make this Desire login into the Market to register the device.

I'm really gutted here after watching and reading reviews about the Desire and Android for months and months before buying it. I should have tried before I bought, but all my friends who have smart phones all have iPhones so I couldn't and any time I bring up Android, no one has a clue what I'm on about.

Rant over, now where's me 3310 gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Jaysus tough break. You didnt get it 2nd hand or anything, did ya?

If its only new, then you wont have much stuff saved on it. Maybe try a factory reset or wipe everything, and try again.

Does your browser work alright?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Just won't work at all. TBH, with the amount of hassle and issues and work arounds I'm having to do and try I'm strongly considering going back to the iPhone and I can't believe I'm having those thoughts.

The Desire itself is just a pain to get in and out of things. I don't know how to close apps, can't figure that out. They keep running when I go back the menue. Music, video etc keeps on playing. It's doing my nut in. The battery life is pure chronic. I can't find any options to adjust the screen brightness or select which apps collect data in the back round, it's all or nothing from what I can see.

The phone just will not access market place to register it. I can't get it to work under 3G, it's either Edge or that H... whatever mode.

If I can get the battery to last 6-8 hours and get rid of Sense and just have a pure Android install, I think I'll be happy. And if someone with a degree in telecommunications can make this Desire login into the Market to register the device.

I'm really gutted here after watching and reading reviews about the Desire and Android for months and months before buying it. I should have tried before I bought, but all my friends who have smart phones all have iPhones so I couldn't and any time I bring up Android, no one has a clue what I'm on about.

Rant over, now where's me 3310 gone.

That surely is a lot of issues.

First thing to do is install the power settings widget. This lets you easily turn off stuff that uses power (wifi,gps,screen brightness,bluetooth,sync) without having to go into settings. To do this press onto the screen until add to home pops up. Select widget and then power control.

Adjusting sync with the power control is all or nothing. Individual apps may have sync settings in the app but the bigger apps have them centrally available in accounts. From your home screen hit the menu button, then settings and account&sync. Here you should be able to set sync on or off and frequency.

H stands for hspa and it is one step up from 3g (afaik). Sometimes I see 3g on my Desire but it is mostly H.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cqms13

Have has same issue turns out mobile data with 02 when accessing the market is flaky at best - wait until you have wifi and access it
    then once accessed with wifi, then try with 3g

if doesnt work try clearing cache and data from app and resign into market

for closing apps, either press the home button or the back button to exit..
    it might help you to get a task killer but really with android its not necessary as the system will kill apps according as it needs new mem to open new apps

for battery life try not to have too miuch syncing going on - also if u r in area with poor signal it can eat up batt trying to connect 3gand/or wifi- install app "wheres my droid power" will show u wats using battery and gives help on saving it

root ur device asap - helps no end to get some customised roms and maybe get rid of htc sense - hate it myself

try CM roms or miui - great on battery with loadsa kernals available

YMMV -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Feck that's some hassle. Install a custom rom and see what you think then.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Jaysus tough break. You didnt get it 2nd hand or anything, did ya?

If its only new, then you wont have much stuff saved on it. Maybe try a factory reset or wipe everything, and try again.

Does your browser work alright?

I got sim free brand new from Amazon UK directly. I only have it a day so far so there is really nothing on it at all. I just took my billpay sim out of my iPhone and into the Desire. o2 would not entertain an upgrade even though they told be I would be entitled to one after 12 months, 12 months ago when I entered my contract.:mad: I did not change any settings, the Desire seems to pick up everything off the sim card but I don't fell like everything is ok, like the 3G. I have it set to GSM/WCDMA auto and the icon on the task bar mainly displays a H and the odd time the E for Edge, never the 3G though?

My browser seems to work fine, I can use it for whatever I want except the Android market. It will get into it from a google link and I can browse around it but when I try and log in it says, connection failed/error or failed to find a secure connection. The market app directly gives me an error, site not available.

cqms13 wrote: »
    Have has same issue turns out mobile data with 02 when accessing the market is flaky at best - wait until you have wifi and access it

if doesnt work try clearing cache and data from app and resign into market

for closing apps, either press the home button or the back button to exit..
    it might help you to get a task killer but really with android its not necessary as the system will kill apps according as it needs new mem to open new apps

for battery life try not to have too miuch syncing going on - also if u r in area with poor signal it can eat up batt trying to connect 3gand/or wifi- install app "wheres my droid power" will show u wats using battery and gives help on saving it

root ur device asap - helps no end to get some customised roms and maybe get rid of htc sense - hate it myself

try CM roms or miui - great on battery with loadsa kernals available

YMMV -

Thanks for all the help guys so far.

The issue I have with closing the apps are: I was trying out the music player, I exit the app and I'm back at the main home screen and the music is still playing, same with the Youtube app or even if I'm watching youtube through the browser.

I must be clearly not closing them the right way as they seem to be still running.

I want to root the phone and install a custom ROM, I think Android 2.2 is good enough or as good as it gets for the time being on the Desire until June.

I'm going through the links here on Boards and doing alot of googling trying to figure out the best, painless way of rooting and deciding what ROM to get and from where. I'm still finding my way right now, after being babied too long with Apple holding my hand.

The Cyanogen Mod7 has really caught my eye and I like what I see from the screenshot thread here so I will most likely go with that but I think it's Android 2.3 only? Have to do more research.

cqms13 wrote: »

I tried to get into the market by

1: Using the app in 3G. - no go
    2: Using the app in WiFi - no go
    3: Using the browser in 3G - no go
    4: Using the browser in WiFi - I can sign in but since I can't sign in using the app and can't download anything because I can't get the app to work.

This is just amazing.

It's like its blocked out. I just get the following message. "Attention. An error has occurred. Please try again later." Over a day trying this now.

psinno wrote: »

I'd try that if I knew what and where google talk is and how do I get it on to my phone with no way of currently installing anything to my phone.?

Never mind, the market app now just magically started to play ball.

One step forward and 2 back with Google and Android it seems.
    Can't get my phone linked to the market so I can't download apps from my laptop to my phone. Checking the help section, it appears to be a bug that Google won't bother to fix and alot of people are having. The option just does not exist to even enter my number for my device.

Thanks for your time and help guys but until Google get their act together I'm not putting up with all this, in the mean time I'm going to try and sell this to however is lucky enough to not have a buggy Google account.

Advertisement