Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda CR-V Opinions ?

• 25-09-2012 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying a 2002 Honda CR-V from a seller on Adverts.ie. 2 litre 4WD model.

Any opinions on these ?

Perhaps you could suggest an alternative ? I need something where the back seats fold down flat to give a large carrying space for equipment from time to time.

Cheers

Ken

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

ZENER wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a 2002 Honda CR-V from a seller on Adverts.ie. 2 litre 4WD model.

Any opinions on these ?

Perhaps you could suggest an alternative ? I need something where the back seats fold down flat to give a large carrying space for equipment from time to time.

Cheers

Ken

I presume it's a second-generation model?

If so, we have one. 2004 2.0 i-VTEC Auto.

She has proved to be ultra-reliable, only issue has been a failed battery and the back washer has packed up. Massive load space (rear parcel shelf is removable, seats fold forwards).Gear lever on auto is on dash so can get out either side! Has never used a single drop of oil in 7 years of ownership. Brilliant in poor road conditions - just spin the front wheels to get the 4WD engaged.

Cons - petrol only, so economy about 20mpg at best and road tax €600-odd. The rear differential fluid needs changing every 40k miles at most as it can get contaminated with water, check this has been replaced and budget for it if not (cheap fix at Honda garages).

We have the money to replace ours but don't see the point in giving someone else a car which has years left in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

From what I've read online what you say seems to hold true. Not sure which gen it is, can you tell from the picture on the ad ? Also it's a manual, does that equal better mpg ? 20mpg seems reasonable enough given the size. Thanks for the reply !

Ken

From what I've read online what you say seems to hold true. Not sure which gen it is, can you tell from the picture on the ad ? Also it's a manual, does that equal better mpg ? 20mpg seems reasonable enough given the size. Thanks for the reply !

Ken

It's the second generation one, the same as ours, except it's in better condition :)

These cars are very popular second-hand buys for a reason, but won't suit if you're doing large mileages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Ken
    Manual should get ya nearer to 30 than 20 average. There are more economical choices if a petrol estate would do rather than a soft roader. Diff is easy to do. Comfortable and reliable. 2nd generation much nicer inside than the first gen. Way more load space too. Handy job if you're not doing big mileage.

I think that's the cheapest I've seen a 2nd gen!

If its 15 inch wheels then the tyre sizes are a little odd. Bout 110 each for bridgestone duellers for the first gen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

My dad bought one new in 2004 and traded it in last year. Extremely reliable and very comfortable for long journeys. We drove from Galway to Barcelona in it one summer. He was driving it for work too and his job then involved lots of driving so he put well over 100,00 miles on it. As far as I can remember the only thing that ever went wrong was the front passenger window switch stopped working Break pads etc had to be replaced due to wear and tear but nothing ever broke that shouldn't have. They are bomb proof. The reason he sold it was because its very thirsty, 2.0 vtec, I think he was getting mid 20s in mpg. Great car though. The floor of the boot can be taken out and has legs so you can use it as a picnic table :D

• Advertisement

Hoping to test drive this one on Saturday, how can I tell if the rear diff is suspect ? If it does have issues what's the worst case scenario re repair ?

Thanks for the opinions ! I drive a 96 Saab 900 at the moment and average about 25 mpg so if I can get similar from this I'd be happy enough.

Ken

If you do a few tight figure of 8s in a car park, you may hear a kind of dragging, a kinda rumble, from the back wheels. Very hard to say how bad this can be and still be curable with new fluid. To be honest I haven't heard of many being replaced so I guess you should be OK unless it sounds like spanners in a washing machine or metal scraping on metal, or if it feels like the thing is gonna seize up on ya.

I've changed fluid in two different CRVs, both had a distinct rumble when making tight turns before, both were perfectly silent after.

Try to find a loose or slippy surface to put the front wheels on to test the 4wd, rear wheels won't get power until there is noticeable slippage at the front.

There was someone else asking questions about CRVs a few months ago, I might have had more info back then, CRVs not foremost in my mind right now. Twas mostly the first gen that I had info on I'd say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

These cars are very popular second-hand buys for a reason

they're not, they're a hard yoke to shift on if you want to sell it.

Errah, there's a market, a demand for them alright if they are priced right. I'd see them as more desirable or at least as desirable than most of their petrol softroader rivals. First owners would take a hit but the one Zener is looking at is approaching bangernomics money.
    They're not petrol Freelander mk1s :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

langdang wrote: »
    Errah, there's a market, a demand for them alright if they are priced right. I'd see them as more desirable or at least as desirable than most of their petrol softroader rivals. First owners would take a hit but the one Zener is looking at is approaching bangernomics money.
    They're not petrol Freelander mk1s :eek:

there's a market for anything once its dirt cheap, and some of these are now.
    but overall, they are not solid fast sellers.

• Advertisement

Does the fact that I've decided to buy it mean anything ? Saw it today and it's in very good condition. Large engined cars are hard to shift for a good price to the seller no question but for those buying the market is great ! There are several CR-Vs at decent prices on adverts at the moment, a buyers market if you will. I bought my Saab for a low 3 figure sum because of this.

With the exception of BMW, Audi, Mercedes and one or two other select marques large engined motors are cheap and easy to come by in my experience.

Thanks to all for the opinions especially the heads up re the rear differential - seller is a bit of a diy-er so has already replaced the oil in it and it sounded fine. I expected the poor MPG so no problems there - it'll be earning its way ! Collecting it tomorrow evening :)

Ken

MidlandsM wrote: »
    there's a market for anything once its dirt cheap, and some of these are now.
    but overall, they are not solid fast sellers.

If you are in the market for an ultra-reliable extremely roomy family car, won't be doing a big mileage and can find a well-maintained example they are an excellent proposition at this kind of age. There isn't a better car for the short school-run and trips to the garden centre. Bulletproof VTEC chain-cam engines.

I'd agree that they will suffer from the "must have a diesel" obsession currently prevalent in this country however, so many people won't look at them.

The mechanic who serviced ours asked us for first refusal if we ever sold it, as he knew it would go on for ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭calistro

Found this thread really useful as considering a change next spring and hadn't considered the Honda. What would people think between 2006 models in the CRV v's Subaru Forester. Usage will be mainly 50kms per day work commute and not much more on weekends. Luggage space would be main concern and part-time 4WD. Is there anything else I should be considering, want to keep it max 2.0L.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭flutered

i enquired here last march about one, i did not buy it due to the mpg, before that i have a toyota estima, a fantastic car, its desiel good mpg, one needs quite a bit about them before purchase, an estima fourm in the uk gave me all the info, i bought it at the side of the road in dublin at 10 o clock of a saturday night, i now drive a suzuki vitara short wheel base its it has an auto box, it is bomb proof, light on fuel, i am told the engine is a 2ltr mazda, i have seen an auto box 1.6d audi estate with a nice bit of test and and a little tax on done deal this week asking 650, not dear me thinks.

Picked up the CR-V this evening and drove it home via the M50. More than enough power for me and didn't need to change from 5th at all even when coming up on very slow middle lane morons ! Very happy with the car. Was expecting a lethargic drive but was surprised by it's performance for its size.

Time will tell but for now I'm more than happy with it. Thanks to all for the opinions.

Ken

Picked up the CR-V this evening and drove it home via the M50. More than enough power for me and didn't need to change from 5th at all even when coming up on very slow middle lane morons ! Very happy with the car. Was expecting a lethargic drive but was surprised by it's performance for its size.

Time will tell but for now I'm more than happy with it. Thanks to all for the opinions.

Ken
    Well wear! The pull in them is quite good for a 2L petrol SUV. They could probably have upped the mileage by changing the gearing to give it the acceleration of a 1.4 focus or golf!
    How's the diff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Hi, sorry to bump an old thread but how did you find the CR-V? Any problems? How long did you keep it?

Looking at buying one... thanks

Advertisement