Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LM065 -Bachelor of Science in Applied Physics

Options
  • 27-03-2015 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I am a Sixth Year student interested in doing this course. However, I currently don't do Chemistry, only HL Physics and Maths. There are several Chemistry modules throughout the course, would I be at much of a disadvantage without sitting LC Chemistry?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

Not on the course but I did several of the chemistry modules with people from Applied Physics.
    You will be fine without LC Chemistry for them, general chemistry in 1st year gives you all the basics and Physical Chemistry is much more physics and maths based than anything.
    You would only have 3 compulsory chemistry modules between 1st and 2nd year, the others are electives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 harmoxe

It is a number of years since I did this course, but the chemistry modules I did in LM065 were all introductory level -- mostly material covered in the leaving Cert. I did chemistry in the leaving cert, but most people in my year didn't. I know that anyone without chemistry found these modules more challenging, but I think no one that studied had any real issues. Having higher level math is much more important in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PhysicsAndTea

Hi, I'm a current Applied Physics 3rd year so i may be of help in this subject.
    I definitely agree with harmoxe, the chemistry is no problem if you put a little effort into it in 1st year. 1st semester a module called General Chemistry 1 is basically the entire leaving cert course in 3 months. If you ask questions and get a basic understanding of chemistry in that course, you're flying. There will at least be a couple in 1st year who did chemistry so getting them to explain things is usually handy.

It's not that big of a deal though, being very good at maths is way more important than the chemistry, you can learn the chemistry as you go, but without a general ability with maths, it'll be hard to keep up with some subjects. If all fails you can learn off chemistry. You can't learn off maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

And you can drop chemistry after first semester of second year if you( like me) didn't enjoy it. I'm also a current Applied Physics 3rd year so if you have anymore questions, fire away!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

I'm the OP, different account I know, whatever and I feel I should revisit this as I ended up doing this course. I'll try and answer the queries that I had in case future student had similar questions to me.

Anyway, I really enjoyed first year and liked most of the modules.

My main question in 6th Year was regarding Chemistry. Funnily enough, I ended up really enjoying the Chemistry part of the course and it was actually one of my highest grades, I did as well as those who sat LC Chem. I have a feeling I'll end up choosing the Chemistry electives in second year.

Maths was definitely my biggest struggle. I thought coming in with a HL C3 would help me glide through but it didn't. I passed my Maths modules but barely, I put the most work in for them and only got C3s! So, if you're interested in this course I do recommend having a high level of Maths. Even if you don't, the MLC exists.

The Physics in first year is fairly basic, everyone on the course got As and high Bs in the Physics modules with little work compared to the other modules we had.

There are a lot of hours in first year relative to other course (About 24-26) but you'll definitely have time for clubs and societies.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, especially since everyone in this thread is either not on the course or has graduated. I just thought I should say what it's like one year on. :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement