Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a car.

• 26-09-2012 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭

I know these threads pop up in here all the time but I thought I'd ask the good folk in here for their opinions on what to get.

Basically I'm changing car because the tax and fuel cost is killing me on my current car. (BMW 320 2.2) I can't afford to keep running it so it's time to get rid.
    I only have about €5500 to spend and I'm not sure what to go for.
    Preferably I'd like to stick with an automatic. (I've gotten really lazy since I got the 320 :D)
    Something comfortable enough. I have about an hour drive to and from work every day and I'd like to be comfy on the commute.
    I know it might sound trivial but I think I'd go mad driving an auto without an armrest so that's a must!
    Max engine size 1.6 for fuel and tax costs.

Cars I don't want are: Nissan Almera (hate them), anything french, anything too small like a Micra.

I might be asking a lot but I'm sure I can find something that ticks the boxes! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Corolla?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Up your enginge size to a 1.8 as there is sfa in the tax cost or MPG, at leaxt you can get something half decent then like a Mazda 6 or similar..

Will you get a 6 in automatic 1.8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I actually didn't realise the difference in tax between 1.6 and 1.8 was only 80 odd euro. I suppose I could up my limit to 1.8 for the right car.

It's more like €120 in the difference

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Will you get a 6 in automatic 1.8?

I dont actually know but he will need something with a bit of soul after coming from the bimmer..

120 is only a good night after..

It's more like €120 in the difference

True.
    Up to 1800 is €85 in the difference. Over that is €120.
    Not sure what to do. As I say though, if it's the right car and I really really want it then I could probably stretch. I'd prefer to keep it 1.6 though if possible.

You have to compare with 'up to 1.6' as well

€478 vs €592

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Take a drive in a Prius , big armrest and only auto, will do 55 mpg real world ultra reliable and cheap to run 1.5 ltr tax or after 08 lowest c02 tax rate.

The suggestion will get slagged off here big time but mainly by people who never sat in one never mind drive one.

Also no turbo no timing belt , no dual mass flywheel like alternative diesels to go wrong.

Yep, a prius might be worth a look alright

• Advertisement

I have driven a few Prius'es'es'es'es before! They're actually not a bad yoke to drive. A bit on the ugly side though and out of my price range anyway I think.

Spotted an 04 t4 in the uk, you'd have it for €5200 (inc vrt €280) plus travel

T4 or luxury pack spec is a minimum, i wouldnt have one without the jbl sound system and cruise control

I've been looking into the Prius a bit more and to be honest I just can't see myself driving one for very long. Too boring and ugly I think.
    Back to the drawing board......

How about a Civic Saloon 1.8. youd get an 06-07 for your budget, they're very good on fuel.

How about a Civic Saloon 1.8. youd get an 06-07 for your budget, they're very good on fuel.

Was never really a Honda fan tbh.
    I don't think they have an armrest either. Don't think I'd go for one.
    I'm not trying to be overly picky either by the way! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mazda 6 petrol auto was 2.0 litre only.

How about a Mazda 3:
    media?xwm=y&id=13740476&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Mazda/Mazda3/1.6-TS/201225208777454/

bazz26 wrote: »
    Mazda 6 petrol auto was 2.0 litre only.

How about a Mazda 3:
    media?xwm=y&id=13740476&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Mazda/Mazda3/1.6-TS/201225208777454/

Funny you should mention it, I was only looking at that exact car on Carzone last night.
    Not a bad looking car at all and fits the bill for what I want. I haven't worked on many of them before so not sure what they're like.
    Anyone here ever own one and know what they're like?

Very little goes wrong with them but some spare parts can be a bit expensive. It uses the same chassis as the Ford Focus, petrol engines are Mazda though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

This

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3778614

View2-13669371.jpeg

Can't imagine it being great on fuel but then again, most automatic petrols in your budget won't be anyway. It's got reasonable power with plenty of re-mapping potential too. It looks like a well minded car and you can be sure that it would be comfortable. Bag it for €2500 and off you go. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Dean09 wrote: »
    True.
    Up to 1800 is €85 in the difference. Over that is €120.
    Not sure what to do. As I say though, if it's the right car and I really really want it then I could probably stretch. I'd prefer to keep it 1.6 though if possible.

Sorry man but you need something with a twist - you can't come off a BMW, jump in a Toyota and not be crying after 10 minutes :)

If you're willing to go 1.9, you might want to try a 156 or 159 1.9JTDm (the 156 will probably be cheaper to buy and it's lighter, hence better performances).
    If you'd like to stay petrol-side, a 1.6 TS Alfa 147 or 156 from 2005 or so will be well within your budget. Or perhaps a BMW 316i.

Is spending around €5500 switching from a 2.2 litre car to a 1.8 litre car if the aim is reduce running costs?

Advertisement