Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Run flats on me BMW

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Blazer wrote: »
    wrong attitude...what price do you put on your life?
    To me it's definitely worth more than a set of tyres...if you can't afford a set at least put them on the same axel and not the rear....put them on the front and go handy until you get a proper set of tyres.

Stop being narky, I meant that was the garage's attitude. I have already bought the tyres I need. I never once said that I couldn't afford them.

I can't swap them around, front are 225/40/18 and the rears are 255/35/18. I've been taking it handy since I bought the fecken thing because of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Stop being narky, I meant that was the garage's attitude ;)

I can't swap them around, front are 225/40/18 and the rears are 255/35/18. I've been taking it handy since I bought the fecken thing because of this!

gotcha...that garage should be named and shamed. Was it a BMW garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

gotcha...that garage should be named and shamed. Was it a BMW garage?

Nope, an indy and I'm not going to name and shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

obi604 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Where abouts did you buy this foot pump and repair kit ?

Any need for a jack in this circumstance ?

Or is this simply to get the tyre pumped up for a bit so you can drive it to a garage to fix it properly ?

Any decent motor factors worth their salt will have the kit and a footpump. Its a permanent fixture and to do it correctly you should take the wheel off and pump it up to 30 or so psi first and then either take the screw/nail etc out if its still in the tyre and then plug the hole with the repair kit. Only takes a few mins once you know what you are doing.....it really isn't rocket science!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,028 ✭✭✭✭Esel

To answer the question you posted in the other thread (thought it best to keep the discussion here):
    So lets take a real world example

I drive a BMW with no spare wheel
    I come out to my car one day and find a tyre very flat
    I then get my 12v air compressor, plug it in to the valve in the wheel
    Then turn it on and let it do its inflating for 10 minutes where it will hopefully inflate the tyre to 30 psi ( would I physically have to hold this device on the valve of the wheel for the 10 minutes ? )

the tyre now should physically look as if its not flat anymore.
    I would then get in my car and drive to the nearest garage to get this fixed ( how long could I drive for )

Am I right in thinking this is how this works ?

i.e. NO car jacks, spare wheel, tyre gunk, loosening of wheel nuts etc

^ Yes to all your questions - provided the puncture is not of such a size that the air is escaping faster than the compressor can put it into the tyre.

Remember that if the puncture is in the wall of the tyre, all bets are off (this applies to any tyre).

The hose has a locking mechanism so you don't have to hold it. It is important not to run the compressor for more than 10 minutes continuously. You have to let it cool down after that. 10 minutes should be enough to inflate the tyre.

Given that you will not be carrying a spare though, you should ignore my advice to buy the cheapest compressor available. Look for a brand name one, and expect to pay up to €60 (ballpark). In your situation, I would carry a couple of cans of Tyreweld as well.

The Tyreweld is supposed to inflate the tyre and seal the puncture. You are supposed to drive the car immediately so that the sealant can be delivered to the puncture by centrifugal force.

Using a repair kit (as mentioned above) would really be advisable before any inflation attempt (compressor or Tyreweld). To find the leak (hopefully caused by a screw or similar in the contact section of the tyre) you would need to be able to rotate the wheel, and for this you would ideally need a jack. You should remove the cause of the puncture (if present) before doing the repair and inflating the tyre.

Doesn't the car come with a compressor and a number of sealant 'doses' (10?) though? I think I read that somewhere...

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

.....wt least put the non-rfts on the same axel and not the rear....put them on the front and go handy until you get a proper set of tyres.

BMW cars much like Audi/Merc etc all need a proper set of tyres...not substandard tyres or chinese ditchfinders..

Lol, different sizes across both axles.
    Lol too to the much like badge snob speel :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I wasn't crazy about run flats until a Winters morning at dawn with a gale blowing and rain and sleet falling. I got a puncture in the middle of nowhere on route to an appointment.
    If I had to stop to change a wheel I would have been wet, cold, my hands and probably my clothes dirty and possibly would have been late as well.

I drove about 25km on it,the tyre place I brought it to later checked it and said it was OK to repair.

I was kind of converted after that :)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,497 ✭✭✭obi604

So as I said I'm a member of the AA on the full assistance package.

As we all know, punctures are fairly rare........I've had 2 in 10 years so its not like this is even a yearly occurrence.

If I was to get a puncture, could I call the AA, get them to come to where I am stranded, jack my car up, take the wheel off and fix the puncture there and then. I know their mobile units are well equipped so they should be able to do a fix like this on the spot - thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,143 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What if you get a tear in the wall or a blowout where the tyre has to be replaced? I'd doubt the AA will have a replacement tyre for you.

^ This.

And learn to use the Thanks button.... ;)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    What if you get a tear in the wall or a blowout where the tyre has to be replaced? I'd doubt the AA will have a replacement tyre for you.

Yeah, fair enough. Never happened me before though. And if the worst went to the worst and I was in a very bad situation, I could ask a friend to help me out ( either they come pick me up OR if they had a spare to come and put that on my car )

In regard to actually replacing the tyres
    The tyres currently on the car are all run flats and they are in very good condition, so they still have loads of miles left in them
    I want to replace these run flats with standard tyres

Seems a waste to just go in to a tyre place and for them to take the run flats off and I essentially get nothing for them

What is the best way to do this - so I dont loose dosh on these run flats that ar ein very good condition

In regard to actually replacing the tyres
    The tyres currently on the car are all run flats and they are in very good condition, so they still have loads of miles left in them
    I want to replace these run flats with standard tyres

Seems a waste to just go in to a tyre place and for them to take the run flats off and I essentially get nothing for them

What is the best way to do this - so I dont loose dosh on these run flats that ar ein very good condition
    Keep them and sell them (one at a time should get you a better price?).

You could check with a used tyre place like www.tyreland.ie to see of they would buy them from you as a job lot. You would be offered less than selling them privately though. They might also take them as a trade-in with cash your way (if you are happy fitting good brand-name used tyres to your car). On this, don't be put off by the naysayers - when you buy a used car they come with used tyres anyway...

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Keep them and sell them (one at a time should get you a better price?).

You could check with a used tyre place like www.tyreland.ie to see of they would buy them from you as a job lot. You would be offered less than selling them privately though. They might also take them as a trade-in with cash your way (if you are happy fitting good brand-name used tyres to your car). On this, don't be put off by the naysayers - when you buy a used car they come with used tyres anyway...

Could be an option alright Esel, but a pain in the hole keeping them, advertising them and lads coming to look at them and bla bla bla

will see.....

What to you mean by this :

"They might also take them as a trade-in with cash your way (if you are happy fitting good brand-name used tyres to your car)."

EDIT : I se what you mean now, its a used tyre place : )

Could be an option alright Esel, but a pain in the hole keeping them, advertising them and lads coming to look at them and bla bla bla
    I would think they should sell very quickly, given that they are expensive to buy new.
    What do you mean by this :

"They might also take them as a trade-in with cash your way (if you are happy fitting good brand-name used tyres to your car)."
    Tyreland (and some other places) supply and fit used tyres as their main business (Tyreland are now doing new tyres as well, afaik). So, they might do a deal with you if you are getting tyres from them. I don't know what your run-flats are worth, but if they are worth appreciably more than the tyres you are buying, they might give you some cash your way. If the run-flats are worth less to them but they still want them, you would have to pay the difference.

Hope this is clear enough?

Not your ornery onager

Thanks Esel, anyone else got any comments about tyre land ?

Or recommend some other good tyre crowd ?

Why not just replace the RFTs when they come to the natural end of their life if you don't want to sell them?

I only replaced mine when they were worn and due to be replaced anyway. You only have the car a wet week so give yourself time to get used to the firmer ride.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Why not just replace the RFTs when they come to the natural end of their life if you don't want to sell them?

I only replaced mine when they were worn and due to be replaced anyway. You only have the car a wet week so give yourself time to get used to the firmer ride.

The run flats have loads of miles left on them, and with the mileage I do, it would mean holding on to them for another 3 years id say !

I took the car for another drive tonight and I purposely hit a bump in the road that ive hit on my old car and the vibrations through the car was not nice, teeth chattering job , its like driving on 4 stones somtimes

These are my tyre sizes

Front tyres = 225 / 45 / 17

Rear tyres = 255 / 40 / 17

I was quoted 245 euro + vat for ONE rear NON run flat tyre ( 255 / 40 / 17 )

Does this seem awful excessive ? Nearly 300 Euro for ONE standard tyre ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Sounds a bit expensive for 17's, I'd expect that for 255s in an 18". Around the 200 mark for each rear tyre and under 140 for the fronts should be right for quality tyres.

Total cost for 4 would probably be around 680-700

• Advertisement

255/40/r17 is not a very common size plus RFTs are more expensive than normal tyres so you are going to be looking at pretty hefty prices.

In saying that you can buy them here cheaper even taking in the exchange rate:
    http://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s3037p70240/Pirelli_Tyres_Car_Pirelli_Pzero_Pirelli_P_Zero_-_255_40RF17_94W_%28%2A%29_RFT_TL_

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s3037p61135/Continental_Tyres_Car_Continental_Sport_Contact_2_SSR_Contisportcontact_2_SSR_-_255_40RF17_94W_%28%2A%29_FR_RFT_TL_

Add about €10 or €15 extra per wheel to have them fitted and balanced locally.

Advertisement