Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How relevant is teacher input into syllabus changes?

Options
  • 17-04-2014 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

I was looking at the report on the Senior Cycle Science Consultation from a few years ago, and was really surprised to see that only 373 teachers made submissions. To put that in perspective, fifty students also made submissions. I am aware that there are substantially more senior cycle students than teachers, but I was startled that so few sought to contribute.

Of course, just because only ~400 submitted their opinions, doesn't mean that many others hadn't any - they may have felt their contribution wouldn't be valued or didn't have time.

Is the ASTI justified in decrying that teacher-input wasn't sought regarding JC reform, when, in instances where their opinion is sought, response is so poor?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I was looking at the report on the Senior Cycle Science Consultation from a few years ago, and was really surprised to see that only 373 teachers made submissions. To put that in perspective, fifty students also made submissions. I am aware that there are substantially more senior cycle students than teachers, but I was startled that so few sought to contribute.

Of course, just because only ~400 submitted their opinions, doesn't mean that many others hadn't any - they may have felt their contribution wouldn't be valued or didn't have time.

Is the ASTI justified in decrying that teacher-input wasn't sought regarding JC reform, when, in instances where their opinion is sought, response is so poor?

I should acknowledge that some organisations that represent teachers (e.g. ISTA) made submissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Did you see the survey that was posted? I did the the one on artistic performance and it was completely biased and leading. All the questions were clearly geared towards allowing them to say wonderful things about it. I'd have made a secondary school student rewrite it if they handed it up in maths. I wouldn't be surprised if people lost interest.

Advertisement