Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can you do around Maynooth Town?

Options
  • 29-09-2013 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Just came up with an idea for a new thread that might be useful for everyone but especially for First years that do not have much experience in Maynooth.

What can you do around Maynooth? Alone, with a group of friends or as a couple (especially if one person is not studying in Maynooth)? Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Whillikers

Other than drowning your sorrows in one of a selection of pubs, not much :P

You could feed the ducks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Walk around the grounds on the South Campus, and walk up Carton Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Walk to tesco and back !

Walk along the canal

Cycle along the canal

Have tea in carton house

Have kangaroo or ostrich in the stonehaven if you feel like splashing the cash !

If you've a car you could go to donadea forest

If you've €16 to spare you can do this to a car :https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=132211603609759&set=a.130475430450043.29074.120400078124245&type=1&theater

Not that I'd know anything about that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Aw.. I was really intrigued but the link isnt working :(

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

Depends on the kinds of activities in which you're interested. If people are looking for outdoors type activity, there tends to be a lot of activity around with people running and cycling, or you could look into joining the Maynooth Hillwalking Club or I think there might be a running club nearby as well, though I'm not sure the details on that. If you are into cycling, depending on what kind you're into there is the canal or the trails at Carton House, or there is a group that was meeting up sometimes on the weekends for road cycling (check the cycling forum for the link). Basically lots of good outdoors activities and clubs around Maynooth - periodically see people kayaking on the canal etc and there is an equestrian centre nearby so quite a variety, in addition to whatever clubs and societies there are. People who play golf or like fishing will probably be pretty happy.

If you are into history, the Maynooth Historical Society meets every 3rd Thursday of the month (I think? or the last Thursday of the month, I can't remember exactly)

There is also Maynooth Toastmasters which might be a good activity for people who are alone or a bit shy

There is a creative writing group that meets in Carton Hotel every three weeks

There was a knitting/crafting group meeting a year or so ago but I'm not sure if that is still going on - if not, I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to start one up again. Basically, if you have an interest in something or a hobby, it won't be difficult to find others who share that interest. Chances are, there may well be a group already that you could join. If not, you could always start one.

Then there's the kind of things like if someone or a group of friends are looking for a spa day or a bit of a pick me up, there's the Glen Royal Spa. Again, not really sure what all kinds of ideas you're going for so trying to think of a broad range.

There are lots of interesting places nearby worth a visit if you have access to transport that are free or cheap: Trim Castle (go when there is a tour available, it is worth it), Japanese gardens, Castletown House (it is worth keeping an eye on their News and Events page because they will often have free concerts or weekend markets that you can go to), Donadea Forest, the Butterfly farm in Straffan

I know there are various other things I'm missing out as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

There are some lovely walks.

Well, I'm out of ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Where is carton house relative to the college?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Pretty close. Go down main street, keep going and stop for no man.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It really depends on what you are in to.
    There are loads of places to eat and drink and walk.
    After that have a look at the stuff that goes on in the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It really depends on what you are in to.
    There are loads of places to eat and drink and walk.
    After that have a look at the stuff that goes on in the college.
    As I said I want to keep this thread general for everyone without anything specific. Stuff to do in college is one thing but I'm just looking for ideas to do outside to NUIM

• Advertisement

banquo wrote: »
    Pretty close. Go down main street, keep going and stop for no man.

Its about an hours walk from main street to the house itself....

Also you could play Monopoly or dare I say it TWISTER !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I legit go to tesco sometimes for fun....

I legit go to tesco sometimes for fun....

I do too , I even bought myself a birthday cake there at 4am on my birthday 'cos I was studying for exams and knew everyone else would be too busy to remember if I'd waited 'till later in the day

# sosad

This was all of course before they decided to start closing @12 :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

I do too , I even bought myself a birthday cake there at 4am on my birthday 'cos I was studying for exams and knew everyone else would be too busy to remember if I'd waited 'till later in the day

# sosad

This was all of course before they decided to start closing @12 :mad:

We'll get you a cake this year #TotesLegitPromise

• Registered Users Posts: 18,080 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

If you are any good at writing you can earn some cash ghost writing my essays for me

Kidding, or am I...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

My ex went to Maynooth, we stole a life sized cardboard cut out of Jake Sully from the display in Tesco. Good times.

Other than that we went to Dublin, fiver cocktails in the Hard Rock café in Temple Bar all day. Again, good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Heikki

Feed ducks

Heikki wrote: »
    Feed ducks

Don't be forgetting about the swans now !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Could go to mass?!

Could go to mass?!

I actually considered that once I was so bored and then I had a good laugh at myself for even thinking of it

• Advertisement

I actually considered that once I was so bored and then I had a good laugh at myself for even thinking of it

Hang your head in shame! Where's the nearest cinema out of interest? Newbridge or Naas?

Hang your head in shame! Where's the nearest cinema out of interest? Newbridge or Naas?

Liffey valley in clondalkin :)

Naas is like 40 mins away :pac:

Oppps!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Heikki

Nass is 40 mins away if you crawl backwards with a glass of water on your back.. Takes ages

Heikki wrote: »
    Nass is 40 mins away if you crawl backwards with a glass of water on your back.. Takes ages

I'd rather do that than go to Nass !!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pleb41

banquo wrote: »
    and stop for no man.
    What man?

pleb41 wrote: »
    What man?

This man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ConorT38

Head to Manor Mills, or into the roost even.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pleb41

This man.
    You? :). my english is not great and i didnt know what he meant when he used that phrase

• Advertisement

Theres a new leisureplex type place open on the maynooth to celbridge road no idea what its like however....

Advertisement