Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tried sell it

Options
  • 26-05-2013 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I tried to sell my new s4 and really didn't get any takers.
    It wasn't even opened...

Am I missing something, from what I see its streets ahead of its competitors
    Is there flaws in it or what.

Comments

Could it be because whatever reduction you sold it at compared to where you bought it was still more than the cheapest place you can buy it, i.e. were you selling it for more than €600?

There are lots of people on Adverts who get them as upgrades and then sell them on. You need to either match or beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭paddypowder

No I offered it for 520.. And that would have included postage
    I was just wondering because I always see iPhones holding their price months after, This is the newest phone on the market and people seem to think its a crazy price "for anything but an iPhone"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

link to the add?

My wife sold one a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Alot of people in Ireland unfortunately dont have a clue about phones and believe the IPhone is the best phone on the market, and only phone that beats it is the newer IPhone. Some done even consider Android.

Ive seen recently Iphone 4 going for €300, you can get a S3 for a small bit over that brand new.

I withdrew the ad, had it on adverts.ie
    Will prob put it up again tonight.. It's not just that anyway it seems like the general consensus is that apples are a better phone?

• Advertisement

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Alot of people in Ireland unfortunately dont have a clue about phones and believe the IPhone is the best phone on the market, and only phone that beats it is the newer IPhone. Some done even consider Android.

Ive seen recently Iphone 4 going for €300, you can get a S3 for a small bit over that brand new.

Exactly, if I was to sell an iPhone 5 brand new and unopened there would be a stampede, Samsung needs to step its promotional campaign up

• Registered Users Posts: 28,847 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I withdrew the ad, had it on adverts.ie
    Will prob put it up again tonight.. It's not just that anyway it seems like the general consensus is that apples are a better phone?

Hitler was popular too.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

You won't get what a shop / online store will get for it.

Private sales are always viewed with a bit more suspicions. Why's he selling it? Was it nicked? Is it a re-conditioned unit? Is it fake? etc

Plus for private sales the warranty falls back to claiming off the manufacturer. Where as with shop bought units you can claim off the retailer.

Ultimately, you can sell anything which has value. The only big factors are: price, and whether your target market can see the ad.

Exactly, if I was to sell an iPhone 5 brand new and unopened there would be a stampede, Samsung needs to step its promotional campaign up

I think the Samsung promotional campaign is quite substantial, even in Ireland. I think your main problem is the diverse range in Android phones. If you're set to buy the best Apple phone, just get the latest one. But if you want the best Android phone, there's a lot more options, especially now with people becoming more aware of Chinese phones and with the Nexus 4 being so cheap. Also I think the general consensus is that Android users are a bit more conservative with their money than Apple users. You'd see a lot more Android users skipping over a generation, so a lot of S3 users won't be upgrading until the S5 etc.

I suppose the fact that it was three network didn't help either

• Advertisement

I think the Samsung promotional campaign is quite substantial, even in Ireland. I think your main problem is the diverse range in Android phones. If you're set to buy the best Apple phone, just get the latest one. But if you want the best Android phone, there's a lot more options, especially now with people becoming more aware of Chinese phones and with the Nexus 4 being so cheap. Also I think the general consensus is that Android users are a bit more conservative with their money than Apple users. You'd see a lot more Android users skipping over a generation, so a lot of S3 users won't be upgrading until the S5 etc.

I agree with most of what you say, I still have s2 and love it.
    I was just worried about it being a bad phone because I might well use it now instead of selling it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I suppose the fact that it was three network didn't help either

Unlock it and you'll have a far better chance of selling it.

How do I do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I'll give you 450 cash?

You have to open the box to unlock it.
    I'd offer the the 10 or 20 of the price for the new owner to unlock
    a lot of phones around for that price. Why not advertise for 500?

If it's sealed and unopened it's better to keep it sealed and just comment in your ad that it's easy to unlock.

Edit: As Deckie said!

How do I do that?

Have a look at www.fastgsm.com

Have a look at www.fastgsm.com

It's easy to do for free.

It's easy to do for free.

Crikey, thats the simplest way to unlock:). I'm surprised that a high-end phone like that can be sim-free so easily:)

Awesome, I think if somebody was to offer me 500 I'd take it on the spot and give them the link on how to unlock it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

470 cash, final offer.

Prodigious wrote: »
    I'll give you 450 cash?

Thanks for offer but I don't think we are allowed to trade on boards?

Prodigious wrote: »
    470 cash, final offer.
    Thanks for offer but I don't think we are allowed to trade on boards?

Get a private room guys. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭pah

I paid a guy 500 for his unwanted upgrade on vodafone. I'm on three and used the method above to unlock. I thought it was worth 500 anyway.

Now to sell the Note 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭long_b

OP - do you have negative or no feedback on Adverts ?

long_b wrote: »
    OP - do you have negative or no feedback on Adverts ?

I have none, this is the first thing ive tried to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

With S4's being available as upgrades fairly cheap/free on most if not all networks, I'd imagine competition to sell them is fairly stiff.

Plus on Adverts even when you do get an offer it'll likely be ridiculously low (as everyone expects "haggle" room) or they'll offer you all sorts of crap in trade (despite you saying NO SWAPS - cash only! in the ad)

Short version.. as someone who has bought and sold a lot on adverts over the years, at least it's better than the likes on DoneDeal in that you don't have timewasters and messers texting and calling you, but it only really works if you have plenty of time to sift through the "offers" and are willing to accept that you're unlikely to get asking - no matter how reasonable the price is - in the end anyway.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

I have none, this is the first thing ive tried to sell

I'm going to be brutally honest, I would be skeptical of the first ad from someone being a brand new high-end phone.

I bought a phone on boards before and the deal went great, but the seller had a lot of feedback, a fair few expensive items there and one or two phones.

Now, just to clarify, I'm not in any way saying anything untoward but I just wouldn't take the chance. At least with a good few items and say one or two more expensive things like a console, phone, musical instrument, expensive car part, expensive computer part, etc. there's the reassurance that this person has demonstrably delivered for others before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

fleet wrote: »

Plus for private sales the warranty falls back to claiming off the manufacturer.

I don't think that's correct. If you buy a new item from a business you have statutory rights. The manufacturers warranty is on top of you statutory rights.

Frequently a manufacturers warranty will say that it is void if the item is sold second hand. That leaves you with statutory rights and I'm not sure what they are in a private sale as I can't find any decent links.

The Sale of goods act doesn't seem to apply to private sales.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Quazzie wrote: »
    Hitler was popular too.

Really? 8 posts in...8 posts in! :pac:

Advertisement