Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin South East

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Like I said - the quiff! But 'credible' I think I might stick to - Haskins is credible in a sense that Somerville isn't. I don't believe Somerville has thought about his policies much beyond the level of what's popular.

Sure - and mine. My problem is I don't believe him.

No, for apparently not even understanding it.

And there's the problem - you'd need to find 'world class experts' who both manage to remain 'world class' without the support of their company and connections, and who have manage to have no conflicts of interest, despite being free to move back into the corporate world they are effectively advising the government on. That's a tough wishlist.

So will the Somervilles of this world meddle where they shouldn't, but for "eminently practical reasons". Or they won't meddle where they should, for the same reasons.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think it's ease to agree neither is a good opition to vote for, but at least with the quiffmeister he seems to be promoting issues he actually believes in rather then populist spew just to get votes that Sommerville is trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I think at the moment Lucinda and Ruairi are safe. The other two are a fight between Andrews, Humphrey and Murphy with Andrews and Murphy currently edging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TunaSaladBB

_Bella_ wrote: »
    I think at the moment Lucinda and Ruairi are safe. The other two are a fight between Andrews, Humphrey and Murphy with Andrews and Murphy currently edging it.

Most likely yes. But I'd love to see some of the independents go on a decent run to show the parties that they're not as invincible as they think they are.

I'm going to mosy down to Haskins' rally at Andrew's Lane Theatre now to see what's happening.

• Advertisement

Regrettably, I never watch TV at all. Nor, to be honest, do I care for seeing how a candidate or politician does 'live', because it allows the monkey instincts to get in the way of rational analysis.

live long and prosper,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

what haskins needs to do is get rid of those quotes off his website, they seem as if "Ive got permission from these people" or that he in some way needs theyre endorsement to try and entice older voters. He doesnt if he was credible without them. Simon Harris running in greystones is 23 also and much more credible, its not because hes wearing a suit but he doesnt seem as if hes just in it for the popularity/power. Haskins has his hand in too many pots to be trusted with such a tough job but I guess if a football manager can get in why not. You will definitely hear see him in the future, whether as a journalist of some sort/commentator or not I dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Frankly what Haskins needs to do is wait for the next election. The guy is still in the middle of his degree for god's sake. I mean I agree with a lot of what he says but stuff like saying that we need to harness the wisdom of the elderly and fuse it with the enthusiasm of youth is just meaningless waffle that makes you sound ridiculous.

On a side note his wiki page speaks poorly of him. It's huge, clearly self authored and makes me think he might be a bit of an ego.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Went to school with Dylan, in fairness to the guy he's pretty active and will get things done, at least in the smaller scale projects I've worked with him on. Whether I'd vote for him - which I can't, different constituency - is another thing. As said, I'd believe he'd be proactive in some regards, but also question his experience with bigger national issues. He's a fine organiser of small gigs and community projects, and as a councillor I'd say he'd do a great job. But running the country? I do like the guy, but on the other hand I don't know if his experience to date is what we need. Idealism is great, but I'd like the idealism mixed with experience in these matters as opposed to jumping in the deep end.

• Advertisement

Went to school with Dylan, in fairness to the guy he's pretty active and will get things done, at least in the smaller scale projects I've worked with him on. Whether I'd vote for him - which I can't, different constituency - is another thing. As said, I'd believe he'd be proactive in some regards, but also question his experience with bigger national issues. He's a fine organiser of small gigs and community projects, and as a councillor I'd say he'd do a great job. But running the country? I do like the guy, but on the other hand I don't know if his experience to date is what we need. Idealism is great, but I'd like the idealism mixed with experience in these matters as opposed to jumping in the deep end.

That's part of the point, though - as an Independent, he's not going to be running the country. Instead, he'll be making a deal to be lobby fodder for a coalition at best - and from that perspective, he has a better shopping list in terms of price than Somerville, and a shopping list that isn't just local pork.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TunaSaladBB

Went to Haskins' "rally" last night. It wasn't what I was expecting. I was expecting discourse, debate, discussion of his policies and vision. There were sign up sheets to canvas and help out with the campaign. There were application forms to be added to the register of electors in DSE.

He gave a short speech, thanking his supporters so far and encouraging more people to get involved. The reason to get involved seemed to be that this was an important movement. He seems like an articulate, intelligent speaker and a nice person. However, he did not give solid reasons why his candidacy should be supported.

I know that his policies and aspirations are available on his website and people probably wouldn't have been there if they hadn't already familiarised themselves with the thrust of his campaign but there's nothing that inspires supporters more than a rousing speech with firm policy declarations.

Also, seeing as his policies leave out a lot of areas e.g. Health, Justice, Foreign Policy, Fiscal Policy, it would have been useful to discuss his ideas at the rally to get an idea at least what his thoughts are on these topics, if any at all. People on the doorsteps and on the street are going to ask him awkward questions. It would have been useful to have supporters and quasi-supporters grill him on some issues in preparation for that.

I'll probably give him a preference somewhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭DJP

I interviewed Ruadhán Mac Aodháin this evening on my programme "Ar Muin na Muice" on NearFM on his campaign and the General Election generally in the constituency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭liveline

I would completely disagree with the comment that Dublin South East is a very conservative constituency. I'm from D6 and I would say its quite the opposite. Its very liberal. If you looked at referenda results over the years, Dublin SE voters have been up there with DL and Dublin South as the most liberal voters in the country. The reason why centre-right parties tend to do better is probably because its a largely affluent constituency so high tax policies wouldn't go down too well...

Its hard trying to decide who to vote for this time round. This is how I see it at the moment

I would never vote SF because I have morals.
    People Before Profit et al are idealistic parties that have no constructive policies so would rule them out.

Dylan Haskins - Having looked at his policies I'm impressed with the guy. He seems to be all for equality and fairness which is all good. His policies on political and public sector reform are practical. I like the fact that he sees the relevance of a reformed Seanad and hasn't followed the political parties lead in wanting it scrapped. I think though he may be too inexperienced for a first preference but I wouldn't rule it out.

Ruairi Quinn - I've never voted Labour before but I've always liked Ruairi Quinn. He always comes across as one of the more sensible Labour TDs. He's done a good job in government before. But I have some major concerns about Labour being in power. Although I agree with a lot of their social policies, their cosy relationship with the public sector unions is a major concern. We need public sector reform. And we need it now. I don't think Labour are prepared to deliver on it and I don't think their economic policies stack up. So I like Ruairi but a big Labour fan so its he might end up a bit further down my list.

Lucinda Creighton - Have become more impressed with Lucinda over last year or so. Don't think she is afraid to speak up and doesn't always follow the party line which I like about her. But ultimately she wants the people of Dublin South East to vote for her so that Enda Kenny can be Taoiseach, a man that she has no confidence. That doesn't fit well with me. Having said that, the country is screwed and FG economic policies are the best on offer. But they're a conservative party. They won't even have a referendum on abortion which I don't like.

Eoghan Murphy - Seems like a articulate and clever guy. But as I do like Lucinda, he will get a lower number on my ballot paper than her

Chris Andrews - FF destroyed the country. And I don't care who his family are.

Paul Sommerville - Very impressed with him. Has very good solutions to dealing with the economic crisis. But would like to see some more constructive policies in terms of health, education etc.

John Gormley - Never liked the guy. I think some of the greens particularly Trevor Sargent have a good deal of integrity left but I always got the impression John Gormley was more interested in power. The Greens should have pulled out of government long before they did.

Kevin Humphreys - Like I said before, not a big Labour fan and this guy hasn't made much of an impression of me.

There's a few other Independents that I haven't formed an opinion on yet but based on what I know so far I think I may be voting like this

1 Paul Sommerville
    2 Lucinda Creighton
    3 Dylan Haskins
    4 Ruairi Quinn
    5 Eoghan Murphy

I actually think Dublin SE has got quite a good choice of candidates compared to a lot of other constituencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

On the boards election simulation, dylan haskins is topping the poll!
    Is that a set up or is he genuinely that popular?
    I find his posters unnerving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

vallo wrote: »

It's miles off. The only reason he's doing so well is because his young followers are a lot more likely to be on boards then the older generation who'll turn out far more. He'll do well with the 18-22(max 22 tbh) but the problem is they aren't actually great at turning out, there'll do a fine job "liking" you on facebook but actually turning up at polling station is another task.

Ruairi Quinn and Lucinda Creighton are nailed on. I think Sommerville will get in a long with Eoghan Murphy(FG). I've no idea how Chris Andrews will do, while he's FF he was first past the post last time and he's not been in a Ministerial role so hasn't been in the spotlight. Gormley doesn't have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

liveline wrote: »
    I would completely disagree with the comment that Dublin South East is a very conservative constituency. I'm from D6 and I would say its quite the opposite. Its very liberal. If you looked at referenda results over the years, Dublin SE voters have been up there with DL and Dublin South as the most liberal voters in the country. The reason why centre-right parties tend to do better is probably because its a largely affluent constituency so high tax policies wouldn't go down too well...

Its hard trying to decide who to vote for this time round. This is how I see it at the moment

I would never vote SF because I have morals.
    People Before Profit et al are idealistic parties that have no constructive policies so would rule them out.

Dylan Haskins - Having looked at his policies I'm impressed with the guy. He seems to be all for equality and fairness which is all good. His policies on political and public sector reform are practical. I like the fact that he sees the relevance of a reformed Seanad and hasn't followed the political parties lead in wanting it scrapped. I think though he may be too inexperienced for a first preference but I wouldn't rule it out.

Ruairi Quinn - I've never voted Labour before but I've always liked Ruairi Quinn. He always comes across as one of the more sensible Labour TDs. He's done a good job in government before. But I have some major concerns about Labour being in power. Although I agree with a lot of their social policies, their cosy relationship with the public sector unions is a major concern. We need public sector reform. And we need it now. I don't think Labour are prepared to deliver on it and I don't think their economic policies stack up. So I like Ruairi but a big Labour fan so its he might end up a bit further down my list.

Lucinda Creighton - Have become more impressed with Lucinda over last year or so. Don't think she is afraid to speak up and doesn't always follow the party line which I like about her. But ultimately she wants the people of Dublin South East to vote for her so that Enda Kenny can be Taoiseach, a man that she has no confidence. That doesn't fit well with me. Having said that, the country is screwed and FG economic policies are the best on offer. But they're a conservative party. They won't even have a referendum on abortion which I don't like.

Eoghan Murphy - Seems like a articulate and clever guy. But as I do like Lucinda, he will get a lower number on my ballot paper than her

Chris Andrews - FF destroyed the country. And I don't care who his family are.

Paul Sommerville - Very impressed with him. Has very good solutions to dealing with the economic crisis. But would like to see some more constructive policies in terms of health, education etc.

John Gormley - Never liked the guy. I think some of the greens particularly Trevor Sargent have a good deal of integrity left but I always got the impression John Gormley was more interested in power. The Greens should have pulled out of government long before they did.

Kevin Humphreys - Like I said before, not a big Labour fan and this guy hasn't made much of an impression of me.

There's a few other Independents that I haven't formed an opinion on yet but based on what I know so far I think I may be voting like this

1 Paul Sommerville
    2 Lucinda Creighton
    3 Dylan Haskins
    4 Ruairi Quinn
    5 Eoghan Murphy

I actually think Dublin SE has got quite a good choice of candidates compared to a lot of other constituencies.

i'm based in Dublin north central where apart from Richard Bruton we've been subjected the the Haughey's (God forbind Sean Haughey actually lived in the constituency) & Ivor Callely for years, we think we've finally an independent voice with Finian McGrath then he goes and supports the govt for the last few years, my point being from what i've seen the highest quality of candidates in the country is definately in Dublin South East, Sommerville is they type of person we need representing the people in Dail Eireann as he has an understanding of what is going on in the financial world, Ruairi Quinn is the only labour candidate i'd consider voting for, Creighton seems very capable while even dylan haskins with his naive policies would make a good representative & i wouldnt be suprised to see him making waves as a local councillor if he fails to win a seat this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

vallo wrote: »

i think its miles off for Haskins, i'd say he'll come in with about 5th or 6th of first preferences at best.
    the election simulation wouldnt be too accurate in my opinion as it doesnt represent the older vote...ie the pensioners who are lurking about who've always voted FF and wont stop now (i hope i'm wrong though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

More on the town hall meeting ...

http://twitter.com/#!/PaulSommerville
    Town Hall 21st Feb 8 pm Bewleys Hotel Ballsbridge .Me ,McWilliams ,Gurdgiev,Lucey .Email info@paulsommerville.com subject “Town hall” .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Murphy is a good candidate, and should push out FF.

Haskins may have novelty value and I wish him well, but he will be bringing up the rear here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Voting for Somerville, because he could be a 'fixer', and has been living in the 'real' world for years.

Neither Murphy or Creighton will be in a senior ministry, so you are getting two potential TDs who will just obey the party whip (well, maybe not always in Lucinda's case, lol).

Quinn, and his neo-liberal outlook, never appealed to me. He is one of several reasons why Labour met with distrust with a large proportion of the working class electorate.

Humphreys - see Murphy/Creighton.

Andrews - Only ever a family name candidate/TD. Seems obsessed with the Palestine/Israel situation 10x more than events happening at home. Not good enough Chris.

Gormless - Good riddance to Mr. Doublespeak

Haskins - Wildcard. Is this more of a vanity run or absolutely sincere? At least he's being transparent with his expenses. idealists are welcome in an age of boring centrist politics, and maybe he will live up to this.

Anyway, my two cents as a constituent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 hsh

What's interesting here is the obvious impact of the street posters. We don't have ours up yet, so for people here we apparently don't exist. Personally I dislike them, but you can't argue with effectiveness.

Have a look at www.hughsheehy2011.com and I'd be happy to hear what people think on a policy/person basis.

Also, the Coyle posters only went up after the windy days too, so maybe he gets the prize for prescience!

H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

http://www.dylanhaskins.ie/

This small child is also running.
    ah come on, he's not a small child, he's legally entitled to stand.:)
    His campaign has gained a lot of publicity and some traction. I doubt he'll be elected, but his election would herald a change in politics imo. It would determine who we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 beepimasheep

I'm living in Dublin SE and can't believe people are considering voting for E. Murphy (FG) in Dublin SE, reminds me of the Royston Brady campaign for the European elections few years ago, all spin and no substance, PR gimmickry...

I'll be voting for Paul Sommerville for his expert analysis on the banking crisis and for his sound policies on economic recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I'm living in Dublin SE and can't believe people are considering voting for E. Murphy (FG) in Dublin SE, reminds me of the Royston Brady campaign for the European elections few years ago, all spin and no substance, PR gimmickry...

I'll be voting for Paul Sommerville for his expert analysis on the banking crisis and for his sound policies on economic recovery.

Couldn't agree more with you on Murphy, very slick but very little substance to him. He canvassed me in Rathmines village a couple of weeks ago and tried to change the subject when I asked him a couple of awkward questions. he eventually said thanks and walked off while I was talking. I get the impression he is more there for image rather than anything else.

The photo below ran on the front page of the Indo, the Irish Times and the Metro Herald last week, looks good, but according to The Phoenix and thejournal.ie it's staged. The swimmer actually works in murphys office anf the photo was shot by a professional agency. It kind of typifies him, he did well to get it on the front page of three major papers but its not spontaneous, its a set up.

murphy2-600x400.jpg

http://www.thejournal.ie/heres-the-eoghan-murphy-photo-from-all-of-todays-papers-2011-2/#slide-slideshow2

Article also on p. 5 of this weeks Phoenix.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Eoghan's babes are out in force in Sandymount today waving at cars as they pass by... Would ity influence me to vote for him? No. Did I think it was a good gimmick? Too right...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Stan&Bobby

I totally disagree on the comment on Chris Andrews being obsessed with Palestine etc.

important not to throw the baby out with the bath water on this one.

FACT: It is very likely that FG and Labour will form the next Government

FACT: If 2 Labour and 2 FG candidates are elected, Dublin South East will have NO opposition in the constituency to represent the views of the electorate.

FACT:
    Chris is a young, energetic candidate who was elected for the 1st time in 2007.

FG and Labour are talking about reform/ new ways of doing things. It is very easy to pander to what people want to hear in opposition – the reality of being in Government is very different.

Fact: Chris’s actions as a Government TD prove how he has not only talked about reform but has actually affected it.

FACT: It was Chris (NOT FG, LABOUR OR SINN FEIN) who exposed the BOI plan for bonus payments last December because he believed there had to be reform in this area. Result: These bonuses were not paid and a tax on all future bonuses will now be implemented.

FACT: Chris formally sought a reduction in the salaries of semi-state Chief Executives and Ministers prior to the last Budget Result: A cap was placed on the salaries of semi-state CEO’s and Minister’s salaries were reduced.

FACT: Chris was a self employed business owner prior to entering the Dáil. He knows the challenges facing SMEs.

FACT: Chris strongly influenced the abolishment of upwards only rent reviews and it was due to his consistent work that a working group on commercial rent was established. Result: The findings of this Group are now being implemented to improve the rental process for SMEs.

FACT: Last April Chris spoke out in the strongest terms against the retention of dual pensions by serving politicians. He was the first politician from any party to call for Maire Geoghegan Quinn to refund her pension. Result: 16 TD’s who were receiving Ministerial pensions handed them back including the former Minister for Finance, Ruairi Quinn.

FACT: If re-elected as a backbench TD in opposition Chris will continue to fight for change, for transparency and for Ireland to regain our economic prosperity.

FACT: Dublin South East needs strong, credible opposition (Not a hard left alliance with Gerry Adams as chief opposition spokesperson dominating Dail speaking time).

FACT: Chris has proven his ability to fight for change within Government. In opposition he will ensure that it is delivered.

FACT: Chris wants to re-build Fianna Fáil to make it the party of the people once more. There is a place for Fianna Fáil in Irish politics. Don’t get rid of an excellent representative to prove a point to the wider party. Dublin South East will lose out if this happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭AEG

Stan&Bobby wrote: »
    I totally disagree on the comment on Chris Andrews being obsessed with Palestine etc.

important not to throw the baby out with the bath water on this one.

FACT: It is very likely that FG and Labour will form the next Government

FACT: If 2 Labour and 2 FG candidates are elected, Dublin South East will have NO opposition in the constituency to represent the views of the electorate.

FACT:
    Chris is a young, energetic candidate who was elected for the 1st time in 2007.

FG and Labour are talking about reform/ new ways of doing things. It is very easy to pander to what people want to hear in opposition – the reality of being in Government is very different.

Fact: Chris’s actions as a Government TD prove how he has not only talked about reform but has actually affected it.

FACT: It was Chris (NOT FG, LABOUR OR SINN FEIN) who exposed the BOI plan for bonus payments last December because he believed there had to be reform in this area. Result: These bonuses were not paid and a tax on all future bonuses will now be implemented.

FACT: Chris formally sought a reduction in the salaries of semi-state Chief Executives and Ministers prior to the last Budget Result: A cap was placed on the salaries of semi-state CEO’s and Minister’s salaries were reduced.

FACT: Chris was a self employed business owner prior to entering the Dáil. He knows the challenges facing SMEs.

FACT: Chris strongly influenced the abolishment of upwards only rent reviews and it was due to his consistent work that a working group on commercial rent was established. Result: The findings of this Group are now being implemented to improve the rental process for SMEs.

FACT: Last April Chris spoke out in the strongest terms against the retention of dual pensions by serving politicians. He was the first politician from any party to call for Maire Geoghegan Quinn to refund her pension. Result: 16 TD’s who were receiving Ministerial pensions handed them back including the former Minister for Finance, Ruairi Quinn.

FACT: If re-elected as a backbench TD in opposition Chris will continue to fight for change, for transparency and for Ireland to regain our economic prosperity.

FACT: Dublin South East needs strong, credible opposition (Not a hard left alliance with Gerry Adams as chief opposition spokesperson dominating Dail speaking time).

FACT: Chris has proven his ability to fight for change within Government. In opposition he will ensure that it is delivered.

FACT: Chris wants to re-build Fianna Fáil to make it the party of the people once more. There is a place for Fianna Fáil in Irish politics. Don’t get rid of an excellent representative to prove a point to the wider party. Dublin South East will lose out if this happens.

Thanks for copying and pasting Chris Andrew's election literature - but if I actually wanted to read it, I would have went on to his website myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Stan&Bobby

AEG: how can you make an informed decision if you don't read a candidate's manifesto? It doesn't matter what the origin of the text is. You never commented on any of the Facts. Do you not have an opinion on them or are you waiting for the daily mail to give you a reply you can quote?

Advertisement